Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cut my grass now?

Options
  • 27-09-2006 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

It needs one more cut before it stops growing for the winter. Will cutting now as it's starting to get cold damage it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

I have never seen frost damage the grass in Ireland ( mind you , I live in S East) , but if it gets too long you will have a problem getting it to dry out in spring for the first cut . Raise the blades a bit and cut away until Christmas . In the south east we start again depending on the year on Valentines day . Dont you envy the contenentals ! Snow will kill off the grass long or short , and no more cutting until April , we have it tough here!
    pjq

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have had the most growth from my grass in the last month, but thats probably because i've put some Autumn feed on it which acts like steroids. You can still cut it at the moment and if your worried about frost damage then get yourself some lawnfeed for the Winter which will protect it during the cold period and ensure it comes back nice and lush for the Spring. I used B&Q's Autumn feed which cost €12 for 100 sqM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I made the mistake of cutting my grass too short about this time last year which resulted in an explosion of moss. If you leave the blades at a higher than usual level, you'll still get a trim lawn but the longer grass length will prevent the moss from establishing itself.

You can also use lawn sand to kill off the moss.

Personally, I use the excuse of the bad weather for not cutting the grass - I've an acre to cut:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

frobisher wrote:
    Will cutting now as it's starting to get cold damage it?

Not really, the most you can fear is some slight browning if the cut leaf tips recieve a particularly cold wind.
    In a mild winter if your grass continues to grow, it is possible to continue mowing lightly right through to spring (mostly in coastal regions).
    However mowing while the soil is wet and sodden as it often is during winter can lead to soil compaction.
    Which in turns aids the dreaded moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'm not sure where the OP is?

But if he's in Dublin there's at least two months of growth left. I.E. It's often necessary to give a cut in the first couple of weeks in December.

As the other posters are pointing out the problem is the wetness and getting a decent bit of dry weather to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

frobisher wrote:
    It needs one more cut before it stops growing for the winter. Will cutting now as it's starting to get cold damage it?

DON'T FROB - Get your wife to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I cut it as often as possible this time of year when its dry
    too often you can go weeks with grass thats too wet to cut
    then again, a high setting on a good, powerful rotary mower should cut it without any problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

work away, i cut mine last xmas eve !.....our winters aint that hard anymore, thank you global warming !!! :D

Advertisement