Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have you any car insurance questions ??

Options
  • 27-09-2006 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all !!

I have been reading boards for a while now and have noticed a lot of posts any insurance related questions, the thread for quotes comes in very handy so if anyone out there has any questions relating to claims or their policy i would like to offer my assistance !

I have been working in the insurance industry for a few years now and for a few companies.

I currently work for one the the major companys in the irish market.

P.S, please dont ask me to get you a quote !:rolleyes:

:):):):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

What's the craic if you have one of those policies where the claim does not affect your NCB? I had a claim earlier this year. I have Fully Protected NCB (unlimited claims, unlimited amount). If I decide to leave at renewal will I get a NCB cert with no mention of this claim on it? I'm with FBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ryaner77

No there a catch with protected ncb policys, they only work if you stick with the same company !!! sorry.

Your proof of bonus will say you had an accident !

Fúckers, that's not what they told me before I made the claim. I specifically asked them could I claim and would I still get my full NCB if I changed companies at next renewal and they said yes.

Ok, another queston, would insurance companies share this kind of information? For example if some person was to "edit" their NCB cert to remove any mention of a pervious claim, could the new insurance company find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

why is there a higher premium on a 1.3 lancer 95' compared to a 1.5 mazda 323 97' ?

all other details are the same

In reply to helter skelter question about proof of bonus, insurance companys dont then to check, It's only if something seems suspicious the the alarm bells ring and a phone call is made to your previous insurer.

Bubonicus i cant see why it would be unless there was something special about the lancer ? is it a turbo model or anything other than standard issue ?

Check with different insurance companies, the list of " boy racer type cars" ( sorry ) is different in each company ?

• Advertisement

bubonicus wrote:
    why is there a higher premium on a 1.3 lancer 95' compared to a 1.5 mazda 323 97' ?

all other details are the same
    Maybe the lancer is easier to steal?

it wouldn't be anything to do with it being easy to steal ,, the section of your policy that covers fire and theft is usually only around €50 .

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

It was a bog standard 1.3 gl version. no mods.

Funnily enough the car was stolen last week. Cops recovered it, but it's a write off, my brother is in the process of claiming with his company.

Edit : whats the blue book value of a 95 lancer 1.3 gl?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Hi Ryaner777

I have a question...

I am holding a Driving Lic from Jordan and From Saudia Arabia, I am driving for more than 10 years, I came recently to Ireland; Is there any Insurance that recognize these licenses to make the Insurance value less??

Thanks

Just rang our underwriters and they advised they wouldn't quote a jordan or saudi arabian licence over the phone but may give you a quote if you drop into a branch ? they said you would get the same rate as an irish provo driver.

hope that helps

working on getting a book value !

• Advertisement

sorry mate cant get a book value on anything older than a 98

I will apply for the Provo Irish Lic, but the Insurance for first time Provo Lic is so high I though if there is a company can condifer the 10 years of driving and the 2 Lic that I had would make the value less

sorry i dont think there is unless you have written proof of your ten years driving , then they'll take it into consideration. for example you could have your licence 10 years but not insured for ten years ? do you have a proof of no cliams bonus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Ryaner,

Do know if you'll be able to help me or not, my query relates to a claim. Just over 6 months ago I was hit by another car and my car was written off. The other driver denied liability even though he hit me from the rear.

By coincidence he happens to be insured with the same broker & insurance company. Because liability was denied by both of us they appointed independent claim adjudicators. My guy effectively told me there was no case and there was no way (based on our respective statement of events & road measurements) I was at fault.

It is now over 6 months later and the insurance company will not make a decision or settle the claim despite weekly phone calls etc. I in the meantime have had to renew with them at a much higher premium on a smaller car (bought from my own money, as they have not paid out) despite having a "protected" no claims bonus.

Do companys have a policy when it is one of their insured claiming off another in delaying things deliberately, or what is the best method of getting the claim settled?

Tks,
    BF

ryaner77 wrote:
    sorry i dont think there is unless you have written proof of your ten years driving , then they'll take it into consideration. for example you could have your licence 10 years but not insured for ten years ? do you have a proof of no cliams bonus ?

Do u mean a Proof from Insuarance company in Jordan that there no claims bonus for me??? is this going to reduce the Insurance value?? I thought this would only be applied into the Lic from another Europe country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

i have a current policy with hibernian with myself and my GF as a named driver...i want to insure a second car for work. Can i just get a second policy in my own name for mself? - - having 2 seperate policies with the same company or would i go to another company?

hi BF, first of all could you please pm me the insurance company, if it's us then i try and sort it for you asap ! Now to liability ? if he hit you in the rear how is he denying liability ? was it a matter of a sudden lane change or overtaking or something ?

A protected NCB is just that PROTECTED and if you've paid for this than they've no right to take it away in any circumstances, but just so you know there are different types of ncd !

a proof of bonus from jordan would be great, but even if you dont have that just something to say you were insured before would be useful in reducing your policy ammount !

ryaner, how about a few inside tips on how we can get a cheaper quote. For example Hibernian told me before that if I put my mother as a named driver on the policy then the quote would be reduced. I think it came down by about €80!

Hi neacy, if its a work policy you can get another one straight away with the same company or a different one,

the only thing is i don't think they'll let you use your ncb on the second policy ! but ask them to take your loyalty ( big word in insurance industry at the moment ! ) and driving history into account !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Hi, my brothers nct has bought a second hand car. The nct expired in May and he got a date for the test in October. His insurance company has not requested any info on the nct. If he had an accident before the test could the insurance company refuse to pay out. He is third party fire & Theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

ryaner77 wrote:
    Hi neacy, if its a work policy you can get another one straight away with the same company or a different one,

the only thing is i don't think they'll let you use your ncb on the second policy ! but ask them to take your loyalty ( big word in insurance industry at the moment ! ) and driving history into account !
    thanks
    i'll let ya know how it goes...

a great one i find is that some insurance companies will give you a percentage off if your a non-drinker ( around 5-10 % )

also if your old enough tell them your married and give them your wife or a husbands details even if these people will never drive your car they'll bring down your premium ! , these people will never drive your car so will never have an accident so will never be checked ~!

no it's just he'll get a cr@p value for the car if it's not NCT'd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

ryaner77 wrote:
    a great one i find is that some insurance companies will give you a percentage off if your a non-drinker ( around 5-10 % )

How do they check that? Is it more a case that if you have an accident & you're inebriated at the time you won't get cover? :confused:

A quick one for ye, quickly becoming the Pythia of the Motors Boardsies :D

We have a fully comp' policy on an MX-5, which we're not going to use at all during winter, so I'm thinking of letting tax run out during the period. Will this affect our policy (say, if the car is somehow damaged or stolen during the perod)? The car is fully roadworthy otherwise and NCT'd to '08.

they have no way of checking if your a non drinker or not !

Tax has nothing to do with your insurance, Your insurance is still in full effect !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Similar to neacy's query, I have two cars that I'd like to insure myself without completely paying through the nose for a second policy. I've been told that I can't apply my (full) NCB to a second policy (which strikes me as bizarre, effectively saying that the NCB applies to the car rather than the driver. The car doesn't drive itself, though).

Any advice on the best way to get a reasonable price for a second policy?

is it for buisness or pleasure. if its just for pleasure than hold old are you and how long have you been driving ?

just check to see if you have driving of other cars on your first policy ? you may even be covered to drive the second car full comp ? check with your insurer if you are covered and ask for a copy of the terms and conditions ? this wont cover the second car against theft !!

Hopefully this saves you a few hundred on a second policy ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Driving of other cars only applies to cars not registered in your name & you have the permission of the owner. Most companies only allow TPO.
    Makes sense considering by ryaners comments, it sounds like you could insure a 1l micra then drive your second car, 2l turbo impreza for free!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'm the wrong side of 35, been driving since I was 17 and had my own policy for the last ten years. I want to use one car for driving to work and the other as a weekender, I suppose, but neither car would require a work policy, just for driving to work.

I can drive other cars on my policy, but only third party and only if I don't own them myself (that's the sticking point).

Advertisement