Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!!

• 27-09-2006 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I’ve recently moved out of my house and moved in with my Boyfriend. Thing is I haven’t a clue about cooking, mammy did everything for me. the last few nights I’ve tried to make boiled potatoes, veg and some type of meat..My problem is I never no how long each thing should be on for. The meats fine, cause its says on the pack. Every time I do the potatoes they fall apart and my veg never turns out right.

Help!!!!:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Pour boiling water into the pot of spuds and then boil for around 30-35 minutes. Stick a fork in them from 30 mins on. The fork should push through easily when done.

Boil the veg and then turn down the heat and simmer for 5 mins. Should be slightly crunchy. If you prefer 'em softer then let them simmer for another minute or two.

Also have a look at http://allrecipes.com/

Best thing I ever did was leave home at 17 and fend for meself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'd sya your best shot is to buy a book like "Cooking for Dummies", "The Absolute Beginner's Cookbook: or, How Long Do I Cook a 3-Minute Egg?".

Your next best bet is to ring your mum and ask her.

How long to cook veg for : till tehy're done according to your taste. Depending on the veg, and your taste, this could be anything from 1 minute to, well, almost anything. I boil veg for 3 minutes in about 1/2 cm of water, with salt and a pinch of sugar, with the lid on. Very crunchy (more then just al dente), almost-raw-but-heated-through. If you want soft veg, you could be talking 8, 10, 15 minutes...again depending on size and stuff.

How long to cook spuds for: Depends how big they are, how many you're cooking, how you're cooking.....but the general rule is to cook them until they feel done when poked with a knife. In salted, boiling water, I'd expect regular spuds to take somewhere between 15 and 25 mins, but it could be more or less, depending on all sorts of things.

Alternately, use rice/pasta and cook according to whats on the label.

But seriously....if you don't know how to cook, get a cookbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Check out the Easy Peasy Recipes.

I taught myself to cook by starting off with stews, chillies, spag bol, curries, etc. Each of these can be put together by following the same few steps.

1. Brown Meat (beef/chicken/mince)
    2. Add Veg (whatever takes your fancy)
    3. Add Spices/Herbs (whatever takes your fancy)
    4. Add Liquid (stock/water/wine)
    5. Bring to Boil & simmer for an hour

Be sure to get your BF to do his fair share too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Delia Smith, saved my life
    And if Delia Smith, saved your life
    Or got you back with your ex-wife
    Sing Delia Smith, Delia Smith, its alright.

Alright poster step away from the cooker and click,here and here finally here

Congratulations you've just spent under thirty euro and armed yourself with the best set of beginner cookbooks you can buy.
    Delia's How to Cook Book One is aimed at beginners: people whose staple diet comprises heat-and- serve or take-away meals. Television cook and bestselling author Delia Smith's aim is to equip her readers with the basic techniques of cooking which, after some practice, will help them discover the pleasures of home-made food. With the aid of very detailed instructions that accompany her recipes, readers are taught how to work with the staples: eggs, flour, rice, bread and pasta. But the book goes beyond boiled eggs and baked potatoes. There are recipes and photographs which will inspire: moussaka with roasted aubergines and ricotta, wild mushroom tartlets with poached quails' egg and apricot galettes with amaretto. Many of the recipes have several extra photographs which show the dish at various stages of preparation--these are useful if the recipe includes a gravy which needs to be "thickened" or if potatoes need to be cut into "chunks". Healthy options, like fat-free white sauces and chips you don't have to fry, are also included.

Now all together now COME ON NORWICH LETS BE HAVING YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭liam1204

delia smith is indeed a legend,
    but the canaries have made a bad start to the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Ballyman wrote:
    Pour boiling water into the pot of spuds and then boil for around 30-35 minutes. Stick a fork in them from 30 mins on. The fork should push through easily when done.

!

30 minutes!! Are ya making potato soup.

Easiest (and healthiest) way is get yourself a steamer for spuds and veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Be The Holy

Question as regards boiling V Microwaving potatoes. I nuke them for five mins in the microvave after peeling and chopping them up and putting them in a plastic bag, it sure beats waiting half an hour for them to boil and prob keeps the electricity bill down but do they lose their nutitional value by nuking them as opposed to boiling them?? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I can't see why they'd lose any more nutritional value by microwaving - less, if anything... unless you're worried about irradiated food.

By plastic bag, do you mean putting chopped spuds with a splash of water into a freezer type bag and nuking for 5 mins? And does it work well/not dry them out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OP, the thing about cooking is that you have to watch over your food so that it doesn't burn or fall apart. That means checking the pots every five minutes or so until you are experienced enough to know how long things take to cook with your equipment :)

Cooking spuds using my microwave and steaming saucepan...
    Microwave:
    Peel spuds
    Chop large spuds in two
    Pierce with a knife or fork
    Cover in water
    High power 12-14 mins (test with fork at 10-12 mins)
    Drain
    Eat :D

Steam:

(Usually if I'm boiling cabbage or turnip)
    Peel spuds
    Chop large spuds in two
    Pierce with a knife or fork
    Place steaming pan over boiling veg
    Put lid on steamer pan
    Steam for 20 mins or until nice and soft

All microwaves are different so again you will need to check every 5 mins or so, same with the steamer, it all comes down to experience.

Don't give up and get the bf involved too! You can chat while you chop vegetables ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I can't see why they'd lose any more nutritional value by microwaving - less, if anything... unless you're worried about irradiated food.

By plastic bag, do you mean putting chopped spuds with a splash of water into a freezer type bag and nuking for 5 mins? And does it work well/not dry them out?
    microwaves can cause food to go well over 100C and destroy some nutrients.
    Having it in a plastic bag, or better a pyrex bowl with a cover on top and water will allow it to more or less steam them rather than solely microwave, and wont dry them. Chopping them into slices helps even heat. The pyrex helps do sort of break up the microwaves to avoid hot/cold spots (shouldnt go much past 100C since it is really steaming)

Steaming helps keep nutrients in since they are not dissolved in the water.

Consider getting a pressure cooker, you can steam stuff very well in a half the time or less. very energy efficient.

And get your boyfriend to cook!

• Advertisement
Advertisement