Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else find this college lonely?

Options
  • 27-09-2006 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Since I cant post this unregistered ill just have to hope that no one here has a go at me for what im about to say. Truth is, after over a year in IT Tallaght, i find this course incredibly lonely.

The main problem is my lack of money, and the fact im not a big drinker/nightclub goer, and to be honest I cant seem to explain to the guys/gals in my class that the reason i cant go out with them is lack of funds.

they dont seem to understand, they just seem to want to get out, and ive been left behind. Ive tried to go out with them before but it just ends up that I cant seem to blend in, have a conversation with one person in particular, or hold a persons interest in what im saying for long. i try and change what im speaking about, and that still doesnt help, i try and speak about what theyre talking about and i still feel im being excluded.

Certain people in my class seem to have bonds with each other, only 2 are in an actual relationship, and everyone else just seems to have this 'casual' attitude. im sure they dont mean bad in what they do, but to me it just feels like theyre excluding me when they dont seem to direct any conversations to me, and when I try to initate conversations they seem to steer away from them. this could happen anywhere, from just before class and in the canteen, to a nightclub or bar on a night out

Ive even tried joining clubs and socities today, and last yrs experiences meant i was left feeling as if i had nothing to do because everyone else volunteered for jobs on some 'magical night out' i didnt even hear about. thats why i kicked and screamed so much for my own show, because i wanted to feel worthwhile.

any comments you want to give on this would be apprichated, some people on this board know who i am and if they want to approach me about it id suggest they do it with caution, cause i might bottle up and not want to speak about it.

i have to be honest, sometimes i feel suicidal about this, and i know that sounds stupid but i felt so bad this week i booked a holiday to scotland next week just to get away, i just had to go somewhere i knew someone who would go places with me

thanks for reading this:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I felt this way when i first went into college last year it is a major shock to the system. However i find that you have to just get on with it, and hopefully it'll work out. You should just take a pro-active role in cluds ie go to the agm and nominate your self for the board. In realtion to your feeling sucidal there is a brilliant concular in the college, that you should talk to. looking forward to your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

ANXIOUS wrote:
    However i find that you have to just get on with it, and hopefully it'll work out. You should just take a pro-active role in cluds ie go to the agm and nominate your self for the board.

yes ill see what i can do, i may have a talk with her in the next few days. As for taking a proactive role im going to see if i can be nominated at any of the AGMs, hopefully i can. Radio seems to be less of a membership then last semester so hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

yea, you should. it shouldnt be that hard to get on to an board there are around 7 positions to be filled. Hope you find her helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I didnt find the college lonely at all. Quite the opposite.
    Was always swamped with choices of people to talk to. They were all good fun.

Are your hobbies or way of thinking out of the normal range or anything?

people tend to find thier own kind in little groups, if ur not gravitating towards one then do u have very different interests than most people?

Advertisement