Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSG v Derry City - LIVE BBC and SETANTA

• 27-09-2006 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

PSg's French world Cup star is out after a major bust up with the manager.

Should be a cracker this one. If Derry can take a late lead then they will get through. PSG on a resurgence in France of late and are improving with every match. They could underestimate Derry though.

MATCH IS LIVE ON BBC NI AND SETANTA AMONG OTHERS ON THURSDAY.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

PSg's French world Cup star

who's that then chief??

Should be a cracker, dying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Roddy23 wrote:
    who's that then chief??

Should be a cracker, dying for it.

Vik Dhorosoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Yeah he went to the press and accused the manager of dropping him and telling the press that he was injured instead. All this on the day of their last Ligue Un match!

Funnily enough he wasn't on the team or subs bench even!

The club chairman came out on tv giving out about him doing this on a match day of all days.

It should be a good game you would think.

PSG will really come out to win. One would suspect that Derry will play a 4-5-1 or a 5-4-1 even. I have a feeling that Kenny could go with 3 centre backs in the form of Hutton, Oman and Kelly. McCallion could lose out. Then again experimenting against a team like this won't be good.

Derry must attack and try to dominate parts of the game. If they cannot attack or put good passages of play together they won't score. Going 1-0 down is not all that bad, they still have to score to go through.

I don't think Derry will go through but I don't think they will get a hammering either. 2-0 PSG I still say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Never before has an Irish side had such a good chance of making the group stages of a European competition.

McCourt and Hargan are both looking doubtful, but I still reckon Derry should stick with four at the back, and pack the midfield. The strength of their side and their aerial ability and height are their main assets, so they should really play to their strengths, by taking full advantage of any set pieces they get.

Prediction: 1-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

fifa.com have a good article on Derry leading up to the match. I fancy a backs to the wall heroic draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

cant wait - was at the match at the brandywell.. if 'we' can play at the same pace as that match - we can get the draw.

hopefully... the european dance continues tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

I will be shouting for derry city all the way from the good old USA.

galwaydude wrote:
    I will be shouting for derry city all the way from the good old USA.

Is the match available on US TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

I dont think so. I have setanta broadband and they arent shown it. Regular US tv only show one game a week for the champions league:(

• Advertisement

galwaydude wrote:
    I dont think so. I have setanta broadband and they arent shown it. Regular US tv only show one game a week for the champions league:(

I think its on Setanta TV USA along with WEst hampshire Palmero match.

Has anyone got a web address for that site that gives a list of live satellite TV games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://rojadirecta.com/

Derry are on Tvants fo those not in a country with proper tv :)

Derry 12-1 on PP

My personal fav PSG 1st half Derry 2nd 300-1

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

finnpark wrote:
    I think its on Setanta TV USA along with WEst hampshire Palmero match.

Has anyone got a web address for that site that gives a list of live satellite TV games

there is delayed coverage at 6.30pm ET. Palermo v West Ham is their live game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

finnpark wrote:
    If Derry can take a late lead then they will get through. .
    I agree :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Never before has an Irish side had such a good chance of making the group stages of a European competition.

I'll disagree with you slightly there... I think the deportivo team shels played in the 3rd qual round of the CL were not as good as this PSG outfit.

FROM www.elevenaside.com

Paris St Germain head coach Guy Lacombe has praised Derry City as the equal of Ligue 1 standard, admitting he was thoroughly impressed with all aspects of their performance in the Uefa Cup first leg at the Brandywell two weeks ago.

A 0-0 draw on that occasion keeps the Candystripes in the hunt for a place in the group stages of the Uefa Cup, with a score draw at the Parc des Princes this evening enough to see them break new ground for an Irish club in European competition.

And Lacombe will not be underestimating the eircom League side tonight, labelling them the equal of several sides in the French top flight.

He said: “Derry play like a Ligue 1 team. Maybe, individually, they are not at that level but as a team, yes. They play for each other and I think they would cause a lot of problems for teams in Ligue 1.

“They have a good keeper, a good defence, I like their midfield three and their attackers are also dangerous. They are a very disciplined side. That really impressed me in the first game.”

Paris St Germain v Derry City, Parc des Princes, 8pm – Live on BBC NI/Setanta

soma wrote:
    I'll disagree with you slightly there... I think the deportivo team shels played in the 3rd qual round of the CL were not as good as this PSG outfit.

The Deportivo side was far better than this PSG team.

PSG only finished 9th in France last season, Deportivo had beaten Milan 4-0 (coming from 4-1 down to win 5-4 on aggregate) and made the semi-finals of the Champions League the season before they played Shels. I think 8 or 9 of the team that beat Milan played Shels.

Deportivo 4-0 Milan :

D Coruna: Molina, Manuel Pablo, Romero, Naybet, Andrade, Mauro Silva, Sergio (Duscher 87), Victor, Luque (Fran 66), Valeron (Djalminha 90), Pandiani.
    Subs not used: Munua, Tristan, Capdevila, Hector.

Deportivo 0-0 Shelbourne :

D Coruna: Molina (Munua 41), Manuel Pablo, Cesar, Andrade, Romero, Sergio (Duscher 68), Mauro Silva, Victor, Valeron, Pandiani, Luque (Munitis 80).
    Subs Not Used: Capdevila, Hector, Pablo Amo, Ruben.

I think La Coruna were better alright but they were there for the taking. They were still pre season and in a bit of acrisis. If Shels had played their first leg at Tolka who knows..... It was the wrong decision moving away from Tolka.

French football is really strong but its down to how Derry perform. If Derry play like they played against Shels in 1st half last weekend Derry will go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

in fairness that Depor team was at the start of a major slump at the time. However it still had many class players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PSG 3 - 0 Derry

Irish sides are at their best when given no hope IMO, unfortunately the bandwagon is rolling here.

PSG 3 - 0 Derry

Irish sides are at their best when given no hope IMO, unfortunately the bandwagon is rolling here.

Thats a good point. Regardless of tonight's result Derry have been magnificant. An average of 2.8333 co-efficient points for eircom league sides agaianst the likes of IFK Gothenburg, Start, Nicosia etc is great. Quite an unbeleivable year for the eircom league in Europe.

BTW, Derry will find it hard to hold onto Stephen Kenny. He has proved himself at all his 3 clubs now way behond his means. Its only a matter of time before a foreign club or Bohs snap him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

finnpark wrote:
    Stephen Kenny... Bohs snap him up.
    :eek:

You think he'd go back there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Everyone has their price. For an EL manager the chance to manage a side that has plenty of money to spend is probaly a once in a lifetime chance.

Exactly. I think there may have been a falling out therew though so Bohs may not go for him. They should go for him. Sean Connor of Sligo would be the next best manager in the league. You have to look at the players Kenny has had at Derry. Very very average before he took over, now they are still average but no team can beat them and you can be sure PSG will find it hard to beat them tonight too. He is a genius. If he had the players Shels have he would be in CL long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

finnpark wrote:
    Thats a good point. Regardless of tonight's result Derry have been magnificant. An average of 2.8333 co-efficient points for eircom league sides agaianst the likes of IFK Gothenburg, Start, Nicosia etc is great. Quite an unbeleivable year for the eircom league in Europe.
    Exactly.

I don't mean to be all negative, whatever happens tonight Derry will be able to hold their heads high.

1 hour to go now. Should be a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PSG 3 - 0 Derry

In fairness, I don't think there would have been any Derry players reading internet forums in the last few days. ;) Derry are 25/1 to win this match and that's as big an underdog as they could be. Even Kenny mentioned the odds on the news, they're well aware that they're the biggest minnows in the UEFA cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I really hope Derry can turn PSG over tonight however I just can't see it happening.

Saying that 25/1 is a great price for team that drew in the first leg :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I really hope Derry can turn PSG over tonight however I just can't see it happening.

Saying that 25/1 is a great price for team that drew in the first leg :eek:

might be worth sticking a few quid on it for the craic ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Have Setanta cloned Mark Lawrenson?

Obviously it's the old version (tache an all!!) if they have!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

To be honest I reckon that 25/1 may as well be 2500/1. Can't see a Derry win tonight at all. A more realistic 25/1 shot would be PSG/Draw meaning PSG leading at half time and a draw at full time.

Personally I reckon 2-0 to PSG but if your going for 25/1 shots that one might give you a better chance.
    Good luck to Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think we can get a 0-0 and then it can go anywhere from there:)

Not the best start

PSG 1 DERRY 0 after 8 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ballix... Come on Doire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Changes nothing if you think about it they needed a goal before to qualify and they still do.

Absolutely hopeless play from Derry...

Really, how do they expect to score?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PSG are a terrible team. Not one decent chance in open play in the 1st half.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Very unfortunate that the two goals came from set pieces. Derry are no worse than PSG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

beaten by what i considered to be 2 poxy goals

unlucky Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Hard luck to Derry. They tried, but just not good enough really it has to be said. They weren't overawed by the situation and were a good ambassador for LOI football overall. Many's an LOI team before them has ended up being drubbed at this stage to similar quality or even less. The away legs are always difficult.

Now Derry can concentrate on their league position. They will give Shelbourne a close race. Does anybody know their run in ? Its probably a few clicks away. I'll take a look. Shelbourne have mainly away matches and there is the head-to-head match at the Brandywell too.

Redspider

Well Derry still have to face Drogs three times, thats where I think the title may be won or lost.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Well Derry still have to face Drogs three times, thats where I think the title may be won or lost.

Replace hope with wish - I think that was what your trying to say ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

finnpark wrote:
    Replace hope with think-thats what I think you thought he was trying to say.:mad:

finnpark wrote:

Em... I didn't say hope...

Advertisement