Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a good tow car...

Options
  • 27-09-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

This is a follow-on from my last post where I asked if an Audi A3 1.6 petrol would be any good for towing a boat (single axle trailer, 900kg all up weight).
    Well I'm thinking of changing the car to something a bit more suitable. I am very tempted to buy a new A3 1.9tdi Sportback or a Passat 1.9tdi highline. They seem decent enough value at 33 to 34k and they have very good specs. I would also consider a 1 to 3 year old car if it's in good nick with low miles. Seen a few really cool A4 avants for sale in the UK. I'd like something sporty with a good spec and possibly leather. Might even consider a jeep. I'd like to keep under 2 litre or 2.5 litre, diesel and under 32 to 34K.
    Can anyone recommend a something decent?
    Thanks.
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

a4 diesel would have a relatively decent tow capacity for their relatively small size.

900 kilos is nothing, a focus diesel will tow that, however you have to adjust your driving accordingly, and its nice to not be right on the limit of your towing capacity.

the mondeo is also a good tow car although perhaps not what you're looking for. 2.2 tdci mondeo would be a nice car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭sk8board

that 1.6 Audi engine has been about since the mid-nineties, and was never much for low-end power, for towing.

The optional 130hp 1.9 diesel in the Passat or as standard in the A4 is excellent (careful, there is also a 100hp variation); but there is a new version out now in the new model Passat and A3/A4, with 140hp (its a 2L, not 1.9).

similarily, the old 1.6 is now replaced by a brilliant 115hp 1.6FSI. VAG reckon this FSI lark is the biggest step forward since fuel injection.
    Was looking at getting a new Sportback 1.6FSI (family car, but mainly for my wife to drive), but couldn't justify the new price. Ended up with 1.6 new model focus. ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Any Volvo with the D5 engine would be worth a look-2,4 L-180bhp & plenty of torque. The XC90, V70 & the V50 now come with this lump. Had a 2.0L S40 until lately, and got a D5 V70 'ocean race edition'awd for a loaner once, thing was able move. Worth a look.
    Also maybe a BMW 3 series diesel? my new yoke knocks 165 bhp from a 2.0L- no plans to tow anything with it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭sk8board

glynf wrote:
    Any Volvo with the D5 engine would be worth a look-2,4 L-180bhp & plenty of torque. The XC90, V70 & the V50 now come with this lump. Had a 2.0L S40 until lately, and got a D5 V70 'ocean race edition'awd for a loaner once, thing was able move. Worth a look.
    Also maybe a BMW 3 series diesel? my new yoke knocks 165 bhp from a 2.0L- no plans to tow anything with it though :)

here here on the D5. Its brilliant in the S60. (just wait until its available in the smaller S40)
    And they are cheap on the 2nd hand market. I've seem '03's for great prices, given its a 50-55k car new.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As you are towing a boat, I guess some of the towing will be done up and down slipways?

In that case ...forget FWD, go RWD at least better still 4x4.

While 900 kg isn't that much weight on a straight road ...on a slippery slope with a FWD car it becomes an impossibility.

My recommendation would be a Subaru Forester, the non turbo version with the reduction gearbox and hill holder clutch ...best towing vehicle there is bar a tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

peasant wrote:
    While 900 kg isn't that much weight on a straight road ...on a slippery slope with a FWD car it becomes an impossibility.
    Ah the memories of sitting on bonnets trying to give the front wheels traction! Only one caveat with a RWD is slime on the slipway, few scary moments trying to drag boats off slip ways with my uncles old RWD Talbot Sunbeam! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

JohnBoy wrote:
    900 kilos is nothing, a focus diesel will tow that

I wouldn't try it in my focus!

I once ended up in a ditch when towing a ~700kg heifer in a double axle cowbox. The car was Corolla 1.8 diesel. I was going up a steep hill and the car just lost traction and slipped in off the road. Scary, but no harm was done.

A Forrester is probably the best option. Or maybe a Rav4? Or Octavia 4x4? I'll sell you an immaculate 1979 Ford 4600 tractor (52 drawbar HP) if you want! Good for 6 tons at least, recon engine, new exhaust, brakes, clutch, trackends, and of course a respray. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The OP has said in a previous thread that difficult slipways are not an issue as the car is for towing the boat on road rather than launching/recovering. I reckon just about any mid size car petrol or diesel will tow that boat OK. Even the 1.6 petrol A3 has a braked towing capacity of 1500kg (source:carzone) Sometimes diesel cars actually have a slightly lower towing capacity than petrols - IIRC it's to do with the extra kerb weight of diesel engined cars eating into the max permissible train weight.

Re: jeeps - I personally find that it's much nicer towing any trailer with a jeep rather than with a car. Plenty of torque and traction, low ratio if needed, good visibilty, bigger mirrors. I only have experience with jeeps like Landcruisers but some of these advantages also apply to smaller jeeps like X Trails, Sorentos etc. However be aware that you might run into difficulty with your licence which I presume is a B car licence. A Kia Sorento has a kerb weight of about 2000 kg and a design gross weight of about 2600. Towing a boat trailer with a design gross weight of 900 kg puts you right on the limit for a B licence. Any more than 3500 kg total design gross weight and you need an EB licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would also go with the suggestion of an SUV. It would be better to have 4wd for plenty of grip and diesel for low to mid range torque. Something like a Toyota Rav4 D4-D or Nissan X-Trail. These are 2.0 litre and well within your budget.

If you still want to go with a car then the Skoda Octavia 4x4 estate is perfect. Not sure though if the 2.0 TDi 140bhp diesel is available in 4WD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I tow a catamaran (or sometimes a Rib or caravan) with a 2L Subary Legacy.
    AWD - it is perfect for slips, green fields and slightly rough surfaces. It is also very solid on the road. Towing economy is not as bad as some might think with a petrol engine.
    Jim.
    I love the car, although I might go for the estate the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

single axle trailer, 900kg all up weight

You can't tow a 900kg trailer on a B licence. You need to have a EB licence. So it doesn't matter what weight the tow car is.

From transport.ie

Towing a Trailer

If you hold a category B licence and wish to tow a trailer you may do so provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500 kg or
    (2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg.
    If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you must hold a category EB licence.

http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/licence/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1836

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Del2005 wrote:
    You can't tow a 900kg trailer on a B licence. You need to have a EB licence. So it doesn't matter what weight the tow car is.
    Read the quote from transport.ie again. He can tow a trailer on a B licence once the the total d.g.v.w of the combination is <3500kg OR the trailer d.g.v.w is <750kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BrianD3 wrote:
    Read the quote from transport.ie again. He can tow a trailer on a B licence once the the total d.g.v.w of the combination is <3500kg OR the trailer d.g.v.w is <750kg.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick here. Are you trying to tell me if I have a car that weights only 1000kg I can lawfully tow a 2500kg trailer? :confused:

The 3500kg is for the combination, ie 4x4 and trailer, as then you you are entering C1 licence and the 750kg is for a trailer on its own.

I know as with every other law its totally ignored anyway but I was just pointing it out.

Advertisement