Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor 3G

• 27-09-2006 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭

Is Meteor going to get the last 3G licence and if not will they be able to piggyback on one of the other operators?

I'm not too concerned about 3G, but fairly soon all the good phones will be 3G.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

3g phones work just fine on meteor, you just cant make video calls or use any 3g features. Im using a nokia 6630 on meteor right now and its 3g. Video calls suck to begin with anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I agree, I'm using a 3G Sony Ericsson K800i on Meteor, but most people want to buy their handsets as upgrades or on contract throught their operator.

I'm concerned about the future of Meteor, they don't seem to be focused too far into the future, because (I'm sure) they want to sell the company along with Eircom. But my Meteor bills are half of what they used to be on either O2 or Vodafone, so I don't want to lose them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

Was going to change to 3G myself, I used to be very satisfied with Meteor but the last month has changed my mind and I'm looking to change.

I've been told that 3 is a good network, coverage and valuewise. Has anyone else experienced any problems or any positives? Thanks

(sorry for hijacking, I didn't know where to put this!)

I've been on O2 & vodafone in the past and my bills were on average at least double what i now pay on meteor.

3 are good, I was given a 3 phone last week as a present and have had no problems with them. But I will continue to use meteor and will get rid of the 3 sim. Especially now that meteor to meteor is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Now that it's looking doubtful Smart Telecom are getting the last 3G license I would imagine that it will go to Meteor since they came second in the contest for it.

Alternatively I understand that 3 under the terms of their license are obliged to host virtual operators so it would just be a case of Meteor piggy-backing on them otherwise.

• Advertisement

Slice wrote:
    Now that it's looking doubtful Smart Telecom are getting the last 3G license I would imagine that it will go to Meteor since they came second in the contest for it.

Alternatively I understand that 3 under the terms of their license are obliged to host virtual operators so it would just be a case of Meteor piggy-backing on them otherwise.

cheers, thats the answer I was looking for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

being honest, the main advantage to meteor getting a 3g service would be for data tranfer, hopefully they might reduce there charges.

not too pushed about them offering their own portal site or anything (their current wap offering is awful) but the abiltiy to get information cheap and fast to your mobile is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Slice wrote:

3 currently use the Voda network when not on their own (3) network, so you get most voda things for 1/4 the price:-)

The "walled garden" internet access thingy is ridiculous though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

The only thing i find lacking on meteor is data packages but thats not what i have my phone for so im not really bothered by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteor should have their EDGE network launched by Christmas.

Eircom bought the 4G license, if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Lindaloo wrote:
    Was going to change to 3G myself, I used to be very satisfied with Meteor but the last month has changed my mind and I'm looking to change.

I've been told that 3 is a good network, coverage and valuewise. Has anyone else experienced any problems or any positives? Thanks

(sorry for hijacking, I didn't know where to put this!)
    3 are very good actually well worth a look
    plus they just got a licence to offer mobile tv :D can;t wait till they start that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

chrislad wrote:
    Meteor should have their EDGE network launched by Christmas.

Eircom bought the 4G license, if I recall correctly.
    eircom = meteor, ish

Advertisement