Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband - Internet connection

Options
  • 27-09-2006 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, I recently switched from eircom to bt and seperately got a belkin f5d7632 modem/router (obviously before I started reading here). I can connect to the internet fine but after anything between 5 and 20 minutes the connection drops and I have to go into the modem to re-establish the connection. I don't think the modem is the problem because I can connect, though open to correction. Any help/ideas as to what the problem is would be very appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

yerman wrote:
    Hi, I recently switched from eircom to bt and seperately got a belkin f5d7632 modem/router (obviously before I started reading here). I can connect to the internet fine but after anything between 5 and 20 minutes the connection drops and I have to go into the modem to re-establish the connection. I don't think the modem is the problem because I can connect, though open to correction. Any help/ideas as to what the problem is would be very appreciated. Thanks
    Do you still have the netopia that you used with eircom?

The problem is probaby occurring because the modem is losing synchronization. This can be due to the modem being more sensitive to "noise", or because you upgraded from 1MB to 2MB, or 2MB to 3MB, but your line isn't really able to cope with the higher speeds.

If you don't have the Netopia any more, check the Internet/WAN link on the Belkins menu - it should at least tel you what speed the modem is synching at - unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any option for displaying the line characteristics on that modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did you get that Belkin modem from BT, or buy it separately? Did BT supply the standard Zyxel modem by any chance? If so try that, if not try the old Eircom modem if you still have it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you got the 'keep alive' option ticked in the set up menu on the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yerman

thanks for all the replies. i still have the netopia, it's the old 3341 though was working fine. still only at 1MB with new one and problem occuring with ethernet cable connected.

i bought the belkin separately before switching over but didn't get around to using it until after so don't how/if it would have worked on the eircom bb.

didn't see anything like a 'keep alive' option or 'disconnect after...mins'. sorry if i missed it but i'll check again when i get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

On the Netopia 3341, you can check the Line Statistics by going into Expert Mode, and clicking on Troubleshoot, and then System Status. That can help to determine if your is able to cope with the DSL signal properly.

If you still have the Netopia, just use it instead of the Belkin. (Unless you need the wireless capability of the Belkin?). The Belkin has an "Idle Timeout" setting on the Inernet WAN/Connection Type menu. Set it for a longer period, and make sure that "Dial on Demand" is also checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

I'v got the same problem with the same Belkin using BT also.
    I get frequent drops between laptop and router. At this stage I'm fairly confident that it's just a **** router essentially. I'v been digging around for a few days now, updated firmware, turned off WZC, all of which have no affect. I'm convinced its just a **** router essentially. I get disconnects in the same manner from my Nokia also. Will buy a Dlink tomorrow.
    I will never buy Belkin again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Belkin gear is cheap and nasty cack , I refuse to support it :p

Advertisement