Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Question - Marriage Credits.

Options
  • 27-09-2006 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi

I got married last October and we never did anything to notify the tax office etc - I would be on around 30K more than my wife. We didnt notify the tax office as I had been told it makes very little difference so it was just put on the long finger.

My wife is going on maternity leave this week, and Im wondering if anyone can give some advise on the options? Ive read the tax pamphlet but cant figure out whether we should stay as separate assessment, joint etc..

Any feedback on this most appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

we dont do tax advice here, but depending on ur wifes salary u are better off being joint accessed as u get an additional wedge at the lower rate.

look up revenue site
    We didnt notify the tax office as I had been told it makes very little difference so it was just put on the long finger.

bad advice omo

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭zacharius

OK Thanks for the reply - didnt really know where else to go ask! I have gone through the revenue website but dont really find it too intuitive in this one - know very little about tax credits etc.

But anyways, appreciate your response and sure we'll see what happens with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Check the Taxation forum at www.askaboutmoney.com

You will find your answer there, as there are many threads about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭zacharius

Thanks all - much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

go to www.revenue.ie and search for 'Taxation of Married Couples' - you'll find some straightforward examples

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

zacharius wrote:
    OK Thanks for the reply - didnt really know where else to go ask! I have gone through the revenue website but dont really find it too intuitive in this one - know very little about tax credits etc.

Did you really look ?

Click on "...for Individual" its in bold on the left,

Click on "Marriage" its listed (quite clearly) under Personal Circumstances (also in bold).

A good rule of thumb for tax advice is to ask the Revenue themselves - don't let someone else tell you "ah sure its not worth it". It's your money not theirs !

Advertisement