Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC World Champs - bad news for mGowans

• 27-09-2006 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

The final announcement has been made on planetdarts regarding the make-up of the 16 internationals who qualify for the World Championships in Purfleet. Last year one place went to the highest ranked Irishman in the rankings - John Magowan just taking it. This year the race would have been neck and neck between John and Mick McGowan.

However the 16 internationals have been named as follows:

The 16 internationals who will play in Purfleet have been named (in addition there will be 32 seeds and 16 PDPA qualifiers):

USA 2 (JohnnyK and Bill Davis)
    Canada 3 (Brian Cyr, Ron Miller, Gerry Convery)
    New Zealand 1 (Warren French)
    Australia 1 (Anthony Fleet)
    Oceania 1
    Japan 1
    China 1
    Germany 2 (one of which to be a German TV wildcard)
    Netherlands 1
    SBS-6 Wildcard 1 (expected to be Barney)
    South Africa 1
    Denmmark 1

Compared to last year the following have lost a place:
    USA, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Caribbean

And the following have gained a place:
    Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Denmark, SBS-6 Wildcard

So the Irish lads will have to try and qualify though the PDPA qualifiers, through which 16 more people qualify - so hopefully we'll still have at least one representative.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I dont understand why Canada have been given an extra place when they already had two places in last years tournament. Surely the standard in Canada is not that much better than Ireland. In fact I would go as far to say that I would expect the standard in Ireland to be better than that of Canada.

Its tough on the part of the Irsh lads but they are good enough to qualify and hopefully we will have an Irish representative at the tournament.

Advertisement