Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Punto - Battery Draining ....Help Needed

Options
  • 27-09-2006 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Fiat Punto and the battery keeps draining.

If I start the car every day it is fine. But if I left it for 2 days I have to jump start it. There is not enough juice to charge the battery.

I dropped this into an electrical motor place and they could not find what was draining it.

Would this be an alternator problem? I thought it was not as it works fine once you start it every day.

There is a cd radio that was installed when I bought the car. I leave the face off this all the time. Could it still be draining the battery?

Any possible solutions would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My girlfriends Punto battery went flat after she changed the radio to show the clock when it was turned off (how rubbish is that?!). So we changed it back to show nothing and problem solved. Suspect the radio!!

Also, on her previous Sciento, the radio was a common source of problems with flat batteries until the dealer fixed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Have you considered the option that the problem is not some device draining your battery but that your battery is just not holding a charge??? If the battery is servicable, check the electrolyte levels and check the SG (Specific Gravity) of the battery electrolyte.

If you can get a voltmeter, check the VDC value at the battery terminals with the engine running. If you are getting less than 14.5VDC, the alternator may not be charging the battery.

Do preliminary checks like check the battery fluid levels, check that the battery terminals are clean and tight, check that the belt driving the alternator is tight and in good shape.

Advertisement