Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CounterStrike?

Options
  • 27-09-2006 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

me and about 5 friends play cs almost most days and was wondering if many more ppl do??

if there are any more counter strike players around ye should come to the

2nd year labs in the comp science building pretty much any day for a lan..

or we could orgabise a lan some day..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭GK¦ Ixion²

Haha derek.You're that desperate?? I cud own u.Lol
    But yeah u should set a day/s and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

can you do this on campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

I know of a few ardent CS nuts who would be intrested...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

they play it in the computer science labs, it's not strictly allowed but nobody really minds unless it gets too common. There used to be no sound though...

Grimes wrote:
    can you do this on campus?

Well technically as long as youre not bothering anyone or breaking the law u can do anything on campus.:D
    But the cs ports ie"27015-28015" are blocked by the firewall so we cant use the colleges ports as a hub. We would need our own multisocket hub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's probably not the best idea to be publicising game playing in the CS labs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Particularly when this site is watched by the powers that be in UCD. You could find yourself in a bit of a sticky situation.

It's probably not the best idea to be publicising game playing in the CS labs tbh.

I was just thinking that. A more neutral venue would be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Yes, but we are having considerable dificulty finding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭I_Mr_Euphony

eh we're not able to play on the lab computers, one) we don't have enough space to put it on the comps and two) the network problems.

ATM we are all playing on laptops, the games been watered down so that it'll happily run on even shared graphics. well sort of, dust1&2 work and so does office, the rest of them are kinda slow......

the labs are grand for playin once we don't get to excited and semir keeps quiet. And you bring earphones, I doubt the people working in the lab would like the sound on me pwning all of you. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Quiet you, or I'll have to deflate your ego: CS STYLE ;)

Yes, but we are having considerable dificulty finding one.

Im all for playing it with u guys. God knows, i started Derek into it myself, cos i love it. But id rather not play it if i though we were gonna be bothering anybody(or get into trouble:( ),and as it goes we are bound to be annoying someone ,trekking into the CS lab whenever we feel like it to play games.
    So there may simply be no other choice but to find somewhere more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Could just play on the internet... Maybe organise some sort of byopc thing if it takes off. I assume from the way you're talking about it you're playing 1.6?
    I remember a year or two ago there was an attempt to get some sort of intervarsity cs league going, don't think it lasted very long though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Yeah I was wondering about this actually - wouldn't mind getting some networked gaming going with all the WiFi'd commerce and arts heads, but I was wondering about the logistics of it all - Obviously it wouldn't be fair to use the UCD network (even if the ports were open) but is there some small, one piece set-up that could be purchased that would act as a WiFi hub for want of a better word? (i.e. so all we're sponging, at most, is a powersocket)

jimi_t wrote:
    Obviously it wouldn't be fair to use the UCD network (even if the ports were open) but is there some small, one piece set-up that could be purchased that would act as a WiFi hub for want of a better word? (i.e. so all we're sponging, at most, is a powersocket)

Well actually AFAIK Counterstrike doesn't even use up as much bandwith as internet surfing. So if the ports were open then we wouldnt be burdening the UCD wi-fi servers even as much as the everyday web browser.But thats probably not going to happen.
    As far as a wireless hub goes,i dont trust them. I've used wireless for gaming b4 and the lag was unbearable. Obviously its more convenient than 5kilo's worth of lan cables but nowhere near as dpendable when talking about 6 or 8 players.
    seifer wrote:
    Could just play on the internet... Maybe organise some sort of byopc thing if it takes off. I assume from the way you're talking about it you're playing 1.6?
    I remember a year or two ago there was an attempt to get some sort of intervarsity cs league going, don't think it lasted very long though.

No its.....lets say.... an earlier version of source ;) . What do u mean by "byopc"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

PLEASE WEAR EARPHONES!!!a

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Ah right, I was wondering who had set up that wireless network :)

It wasn't us, honest! Some of those pesky first years, I'd reckon ¬_¬

eh we're not able to play on the lab computers, one) we don't have enough space to put it on the comps and two) the network problems.
    Actually you are, but its not taken too kindly to, and they will turn off your machine remotely (as I found out the hard way :D)

You could always try out the student centre if you are looking for somewhere to do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

byopc = bring your own pc
    An earlier version of source? Can you elaborate? It takes a nice machine to run source smoothly...
    I'd love to join in but alas I have no laptop only the desktop outlined in my sig. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

DCU have their own CS server... i propose we obtain one, practice, build a mighty team and engage them in battle?

Sounds like fun passive.:D How do we go about doing this??Maybe we could find an empty server online or something??

@Seifer: Its 2 year old version of source. Without all the updates. Cos the updates drag by about 50fps or so.:rolleyes:
    So nearly any rig can handle it.Even one without a dedicated gfx card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭aaronquigley

Korvanica wrote:
    2nd year labs in the comp science building pretty much any day for a lan..
    or we could orgabise a lan some day..

Wow.. thanks for letting us know. I would have a minor embolism if I heard that any of my students couldn't get a machine to work on their course work because someone was playing games. It's bad enough seeing people hogging machines to get their BeBo crack fill and chat etc.

If you are sitting in a lab which is full or near full and not engaged in college work please think of your peers. Personally, when I was an undergrad we would go and get "Peter the Nasty Porter" in Trinity to boot game players off machines if we needed one. This was around the time Castle Wolfenstein came out on NetNews in about 16 parts (yep I'm old).

I would have ZERO qualms about doing this now as a student... "Ooo I'm sorry, is my need to finish my assignment interfering with your quest to become the king-cyber-overload-elf of counter-ever-star-quest-land"

Please... get off the computer and let me do some work.

Aaron.

Wow.. thanks for letting us know. I would have a minor embolism if I heard that any of my students couldn't get a machine to work on their course work because someone was playing games. It's bad enough seeing people hogging machines to get their BeBo crack fill and chat etc.

If you are sitting in a lab which is full or near full and not engaged in college work please think of your peers. Personally, when I was an undergrad we would go and get "Peter the Nasty Porter" in Trinity to boot game players off machines if we needed one. This was around the time Castle Wolfenstein came out on NetNews in about 16 parts (yep I'm old).

I would have ZERO qualms about doing this now as a student... "Ooo I'm sorry, is my need to finish my assignment interfering with your quest to become the king-cyber-overload-elf of counter-ever-star-quest-land"

Please... get off the computer and let me do some work.

Aaron.
    in fairness they did say they were using their laptops, but I agree with you, especially since AFAIR the second year lab doesn't have any spare sockets, so to plug your laptop in you've to pull out the plug of one of the desktops.

Blowfish wrote:
    in fairness they did say they were using their laptops, but I agree with you, especially since AFAIR the second year lab doesn't have any spare sockets, so to plug your laptop in you've to pull out the plug of one of the desktops.

If people are sitting around with their own machines and running their own wireless network then aside from taking up space in the lab I don't think anyone would care. If people are unplugging cables (why would you when there are 10 free ones in the lab?) then you are taking up a machine for game play and we are back to where we started.

If those extra cables are not working, let us know. Keep in mind that the admin staff sent an email out to the academics and postgrads on this recently so I would expect both the local IT people and CS services to be cracking down on misuse of resources.

This applies to everyone academics/postgrads etc. eg. We had a postgrad run a piece of P2P software for research purposes (I have a student in Australia simulating 5000 node P2P networks and Microsoft along with having P2P support built into the OS via SP simulate 1,000,000 node networks, it's legit research!). Anyway, the software caused major issues for CS services and we had a whole sub-net taken away for a few days while they tracked the problem.

They are paying attention and they will act.

Aaron.

ps. The annual P2P conference is coming to Ireland next year if this rings your bell or excites your packets.

If people are sitting around with their own machines and running their own wireless network then aside from taking up space in the lab I don't think anyone would care. If people are unplugging cables (why would you when there are 10 free ones in the lab?) then you are taking up a machine for game play and we are back to where we started.

If those extra cables are not working, let us know. Keep in mind that the admin staff sent an email out to the academics and postgrads on this recently so I would expect both the local IT people and CS services to be cracking down on misuse of resources.

This applies to everyone academics/postgrads etc. eg. We had a postgrad run a piece of P2P software for research purposes (I have a student in Australia simulating 5000 node P2P networks and Microsoft along with having P2P support built into the OS via SP simulate 1,000,000 node networks, it's legit research!). Anyway, the software caused major issues for CS services and we had a whole sub-net taken away for a few days while they tracked the problem.

They are paying attention and they will act.

Aaron.

ps. The annual P2P conference is coming to Ireland next year if this rings your bell or excites your packets.

This is, as Blowfish said, what goes on if there's a game. Since there are laptop spaces in the lab, these are what are used - rather than taking up spaces around the computers where people may be working (and unlikely to be happy with someone gaming right beside them). There is also a seperate wireless network. Needless to say, there'll be nothing going on during practicals, tutorials, etc.
    Obviously I'd understand if there was a major disturbance due to this, but no extra resources are being used save a few chairs (someone has to clear that bottleneck of chairs over near the laptop area...) and some power sockets, and there's generally more noise in an average practical than if is when there's a game on!

Waltons wrote:
    This is, as Blowfish said, what goes on if there's a game. Since there are laptop spaces in the lab, these are what are used - rather than taking up spaces around the computers where people may be working (and unlikely to be happy with someone gaming right beside them). There is also a seperate wireless network. Needless to say, there'll be nothing going on during practicals, tutorials, etc.
    Obviously I'd understand if there was a major disturbance due to this, but no extra resources are being used save a few chairs (someone has to clear that bottleneck of chairs over near the laptop area...) and some power sockets, and there's generally more noise in an average practical than if is when there's a game on!

When we were Ugrads we made an approach to the school to get resources for research related projects. SCRG - Student Computing Research Group. It would be nice to see this in UCD with people working on OSS projects or just hosting research/development content for student/academic use. (I guess this is part of the NetSoc mandate?)

Now, I doubt you would get far with raw gaming requests but there might be a researcher interested in collecting data from your gaming interactions to help support the off hours use of the labs for data collection via this interaction. It's a long shot but I'll bring it up at the next R&I meeting as a potential source of data. With 200+ postgrads, our data needs are wide and varied.

Aaron.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Waltons wrote:
    there's generally more noise in an average practical than if is when there's a game on!

Unless Semir is there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 X-Ace

Hhahaha What are u on about :p. I Dont make noise :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I'll give lessons for a tenner an hour.

Advertisement