Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alan Wake footage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Thats lookin sweet! Would it be asking too much for the 360 version to look that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2841&p=2
    "Markus expects the visual and gameplay experience to be identical on the Xbox 360 and the PC when Alan Wake ships, hopefully without any in-game load screens. "

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Deadly-Buzz

visual and gameplay experience are never the same between a console and a PC, (high end PC that is not ur crappy office dell)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

visual and gameplay experience are never the same between a console and a PC, (high end PC that is not ur crappy office dell)

In fairness you summed up my argument in your brackets. A 360 is as good as most current high end PCs in terms of hardware. You can look at various comparisons made between Oblivion and Prey especially and there is little or no difference between them.

Visual experience may be slightly better on a PC but gameplay experience can be better or either depending on how they play. I've played through games on PCs and Consoles over the years and some of my favourite games have been on consoles. Gameplay experience is a lot more transferable between platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

tba wrote:

Holy crap! The inside footage is nothing too mind blowing. But the water and tree effects are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I've played through games on PCs and Consoles over the years and some of my favourite games have been on consoles.

I remember Thief 3 with its tiny areas and loading screens. The price of multi-platform design accomadating consoles, rather than any limitation on the part of PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Visual experience may be slightly better on a PC but gameplay experience can be better or either depending on how they play. I've played through games on PCs and Consoles over the years and some of my favourite games have been on consoles. Gameplay experience is a lot more transferable between platforms.

Playing an FPS on a console is like playing a game of chess with a massive pair of tongs from across the room. PC games are more in-depth and creative then consoles. Games that were on the pc that ive played on consoles are always dumbed down.

Sure at the moment consoles nearly look as good as pc's but in a years time once again, consoles will age badly.

But some of my favourite games have been on consoles as well, street fighter etc

and yes consoles indeed are moving in the right direction and getting closer to pc's with each generation.

Will be interesting to see if they start to become upgradable or not, in terms of memory and graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Will be interesting to see if they start to become upgradable or not, in terms of memory and graphics.

I remember reading somewhere that the dreamcast was designed so it could do this. But it never came to fruitition (apart from being able to swap out 56k internal modem for a broadband one.) Also isnt the PS3 boasting something similar.

Dont know about Xbox360.

• Advertisement

doubt it, hard drives yes, but I'll be very surprised about everything else. Also the friends ive spoken to about it who are console gamers hate the idea and would rather buy a brand new console then upgrade.

Consoles are for the simple gamers really.

I'd agree with your friends.

the notion that you use your PC for other things apart from gaming allows the upgrading nonsense to be accepted, but the notion that certain games wont work on your xbox because you dont have the latest graphics card in it would p*ss off alot of people.

I was just saying though that one of the boasts Sega were throwing around when the Dreamcast was launched, was that it can be easily upgraded. But that can mostly put down to them trying to hush the criticisms of not having a DVD drive.

Also Sega tried the upgrading route before (Mega CD, 32X) and they both failed.

indeed, it would crush the simplicity of consoles, which is their most attractive feature. Still I can picture a day where people can buy a "Turbo graphics pack" that they slap in the back of their consoles allowing them to unlock "turbo graphics mode" in certain games lol.

& yeah I remember that 32x thing, wasnt that the big mushroom that stuck out of a mega drive 2? uugh :eek: lol

Still I can picture a day where people can buy a "Turbo graphics pack" that they slap in the back of their consoles allowing them to unlock "turbo graphics mode" in certain games lol.

They Did, you can buy pretty much that for the N64 to improve the graphics of certain games.

I remember that yoke but from what I was told it was just like using a scart lead with your ps1 rather then the lead it came with.

I'm talking more about something that would make a difference say like a pc game on low gfx versus the same game on high.

Better view distance, high texture rez, more grass... bodys/ bullets wouldnt vanish as fast. More extravagant special effects and muzzel flashes + explosions n'****.

wiki wrote:
    Expansion Pak - a memory expansion that plugged into the console's memory expansion port. It contained 4 MiB of RAM. Some of the games to support this accessory are (Turok 2, Hybrid Heaven, Pokemon Stadium 2, Shadow Man, Star Wars: Episode I Racer, Rare's Perfect Dark, Midway's San Francisco Rush 2049, etc.), and only a handful of games (Donkey Kong 64, the singleplayer of Perfect Dark and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask) actually required it for play. Supporting games usually offered higher video resolutions or higher textures and/or higher color depth (for example, the Nintendo 64 all-remade version of Quake 2 features higher color depth but not a higher resolution when using the Expansion Pak). The expansion pak was shipped with some games and also available separately.

It depended mostly on what the developer could get out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

A console can't match the graphics or fps of a pc running the same game. Running a game at 1600x1200+ on 8xaa, 16xaf ect on a top end pc is going to make the game crisper and better looking than what a console is capable of. HD has narrowed the gap but it will still look better on a pc. Pc hardware is better. The fact is developers don't push it to the limits as maybe 1% or less of the pc gaming public have the latest hardware with 2x top end graphics cards. Atm ps3's and x360's processors are better but with intels quads around the corner that's going to change. DX10 is not far away either. Give it 12 months and the visual difference between pc's and consoles will become noticeable again.

The graphics in next gen consoles should be upgradeable. The processors are good enough to hold up for a few years. A graphics card update in 2 years time would bring the consoles back up to date. They could easily make the games work on the newer and older hardware. I suppose the manufacturers have done their research though and they don't like blurring the boundaries between pc's and consoles.

We know... :Dor do we anyways alan wake looks cool :eek: hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dreamcrusher

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    Playing an FPS on a console is like playing a game of chess with a massive pair of tongs from across the room. PC games are more in-depth and creative then consoles. Games that were on the pc that ive played on consoles are always dumbed down.
    This statement is wrong for so many reasons.
    If anything, PC gaming is more sterile than console gaming. Thr majority of games released on PC are FPS's, or RTS's. And usually based on world war 2. Not that i mind as i quite enjoy ww2 fps's, but if you want real innovation in gaming consoles are the way to go. Games like Shadow of the colossus, Grand theft auto 3, ICO, FFVII, groundbreaking games, all released first, or exclusively on consoles.
    And as for the griping about fps on a console, yeah its nowhere near as accurate as a mouse/kb setup, but if you play console games often you'll be used to it enough that you can still play and have fun. Look at games like goldeneye, or timesplitters.

Also
    BloodBath wrote:
    A console can't match the graphics or fps of a pc running the same game. Running a game at 1600x1200+ on 8xaa, 16xaf ect on a top end pc is going to make the game crisper and better looking than what a console is capable of. HD has narrowed the gap but it will still look better on a pc. Pc hardware is better. The fact is developers don't push it to the limits as maybe 1% or less of the pc gaming public have the latest hardware with 2x top end graphics cards. Atm ps3's and x360's processors are better but with intels quads around the corner that's going to change. DX10 is not far away either. Give it 12 months and the visual difference between pc's and consoles will become noticeable again.

his screams "i have a good pc and dont like it when consoles can do what my expensive pc can do!".
    Yes m8, i too have an expensive pc i built myself. I also have an xbox 360. Ans seeing games like DOA4 running in HD i jaw dropping. It looks as good as anything a pc can do. and if you look at consoles lifespans, its only after this first generation of games that developers get a handle on them really. So graphics on the 360 havent 'peaked', and you can expect them to get better as time goes on. Example:
    6.jpg
    1st generation ps2 game ring of red. Great game, horrible to look at.
    shadow_of_the_colossus2b.jpg
    3rd or 4th generation ps2 game SOTC.

Now look at gears of war as a second gen 360 game and imagine how much beter the graphics can get in the years to come.

gearsofwar_E3-1.jpg

Still think consoles are for 'simpe' games? Take off the blinkers and dont sound like such a fanboy.
    And anyway, graphics arent the be all and end all. SOTC is still the best game ive played this year, on any format. PC, ps2, or 360.

PC gaming is more sterile than console gaming. Thr majority of games released on PC are FPS's, or RTS's. And usually based on world war 2.

While I agree with alot of what your saying, I cant agree with the above. Saying PC is more sterile because it gets more FPS and RTS (both genres which benefit from mouse/keyboard.) is like saying console gaming is sterile because it get alot of Soccer and Racing games.

Its simply not true, PC games have a huge breath of diversity, alot of it within genres (one wouldnt say Civilisation, Total War and C+C are all the same, they are vastly different despite all being strategy.) But even outside those genres you would get wildly original games the only difference between them is the originality in alot of these PC games draw from their complexity and tend to be more low budget developments (Uplink and Defcon would be examples.) And also the PC doesnt recieve the same attention from Japanese developers as consoles do, hence you wouldnt find games in the style of Okami or Sotc on the PC. Though alot of Gears of War's heritage would be from the PC market.

So in closing, PC = good, Consoles = Good. There are just experiances you can find on PC and not on console and vice versa.

Sort of like Hollywood cinema and Bollywood cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

But console ports don't use the full potential of the PC.

Consoles have just had a major leap in capability, but benefits that are now being reaped on the 360 and the PS3 were born on the PC, HDR, complex physics, specular and normal mapping many years ago. Endevaours such as procedural creation, which first appeared in Elite are now being fully embraced on the PC and will become derigour in the 3rd and 4th generation of games on the current sway of consoles.

Consoles are not simple, they are finly tuned machines, with decades of research and innovation behind them, they are safe bets, sure things because they have to be, most people can't set the clock on their DVD, some people have trouble using their toaster, but they can put a disk into a console and turn it on.

Consoles are aimed at casual gamers, they are simple to use.

I take this kind of philosphy to a further extreme, I recently got a PS2 and ten games, great games, ICO and SOTC are in there, all together it cost me €250, the price of the Wii. why wait so long? distillation of ideas, of content, of fun. PC's are the innovators, concoles are the marketers.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    While I agree with alot of what your saying, I cant agree with the above. Saying PC is more sterile because it gets more FPS and RTS (both genres which benefit from mouse/keyboard.) is like saying console gaming is sterile because it get alot of Soccer and Racing games.
    Well sterile was probably the wrong choice of words. I just look at my console games collection over the years, and see so many different genres and new ideas. Since ps1 days up to modern consoles ive played gmes as diverse as vagrant story, parappa the rapper, silent hill, resident evil, final fantasy, metroid prime, dead rising, ICO, SOTC, GTA,the list goes on. But looking at my pc games collection i can honestly say roughly 90% of my collection is FPS's. Bt maybe thats just down to individual choice, but i do think pc gaming is overloaded with shooters, tho im not complaining as some of my favourite games are fps's. BF, Doom3, and lately prey has been tickling my fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Well sterile was probably the wrong choice of words. I just look at my console games collection over the years, and see so many different genres and new ideas. Since ps1 days up to modern consoles ive played gmes as diverse as vagrant story, parappa the rapper, silent hill, resident evil, final fantasy, metroid prime, dead rising, ICO, SOTC, GTA,the list goes on. But looking at my pc games collection i can honestly say roughly 90% of my collection is FPS's. Bt maybe thats just down to individual choice, but i do think pc gaming is overloaded with shooters, tho im not complaining as some of my favourite games are fps's. BF, Doom3, and lately prey has been tickling my fancy.

Are you having a hard time finding non-FPS PC games?

Final Fantasy is a load of balls by the way.

SyxPak wrote:

Final Fantasy is a load of balls by the way.
    How incisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Take that back John!

his screams "i have a good pc and dont like it when consoles can do what my expensive pc can do!".
    Yes m8, i too have an expensive pc i built myself. I also have an xbox 360. Ans seeing games like DOA4 running in HD i jaw dropping. It looks as good as anything a pc can do. and if you look at consoles lifespans, its only after this first generation of games that developers get a handle on them really. So graphics on the 360 havent 'peaked', and you can expect them to get better as time goes on. Example:

Em I never said that. I have a 2 and a half year old pc with just a graphics card update so no I don't have an expensive up to date pc. My post was in response to what someone said earlier about visual quality being the same between pc's and console's. It isn't. That's not saying pc's are better than consoles either. Unfortunately you need a decent pc and several consoles to enjoy all the best games across the platforms. Think before you flame plz.

As mentioned earlier gears of war was developed on the pc, not the xbox 360 and the screenshot you linked is from the pc version. I'm not saying they will look much different but the game isn't even out yet so don't speculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

keeping it on topic, alan wake looks legend...

Aye looks tasty alright. The tornado effect was great. Gonna need a pc upgrade or a 360 for it though :(

its still all dumbed down in comparrison to what it it could be like if these games you talk about where developed with only the PC in mind. Imagine how mind blowing GTA3 etc would be if they where just made for PC.

Which reminds my I was playing San Andreas online there the other day with over 70 ppl.

/me loves mods.

Best online game ever made? Desert Combat.

FF7 is the only FF worth talkin 'bout anyways.

& i'm glad to say I played that back in my psone days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement