Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car in the UK - cargiant.co.uk

Options
  • 27-09-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at importing a car from the UK early next year and I like the idea of going over to somewhere like cargiant.co.uk, taking a good look around several that I like, picking on and driving away.

However, the logistics of doing this has me puzzled. Do I go over with a wad of sterling in my shirt pocket in the region of what I'm budgeting for (not very safe obviously) or is there some other safe method of payment that a car showroom like cargiant will accept on the spot which will allow me to drive away on the day ?

Also, while I'm at it - anyone any comments in particular on cargiant ? Someone who has bought there obviously.

ta velly much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

My bro bought a car recently from a UK dealer. He brought a Sterling Bank draft but the dealer would not accept this. However the dealer accepted my credit card details over the phone and charged the car to my card. I was very surprised he agreed to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i used a sterling bank draft. just make sure to run it by them before you go over so that your not left dangling if he refuses it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Buy "What Car" magazine, the lastest issue, they have review all the major car supermarkets in the UK, and picked fow.co.uk has the best.

Logtistics:

1. Book flight to whereever you want to go.
    2. Book ferry tickets back Early hours next morning after flying over.
    3. Choose your budget.
    4. Apply for car loan
    5. Apply for credit card if you dont have one.
    6. Search website for wanted cars.
    7. Fly over to where ever.
    8. Go to where ever early (try Mon - Wed) not at the weekends when its mad busy and theres no one to help you. Get there early in the morning too.
    9. Get a sales assistant to pick out the cars that you booked over the internet.
    10. Go for quick test drive till your happy with the one you want.
    11. Purchase car you want using your credit card.

Note: You get debit your credit card, normally with the amount of the car loan. Please note to ring your credit card company and advise them that there will be a large purchase or they wont put it through as they wil think that your card was nicked.

12. Get a receipt and all documents. Make sure that you have the V5 Car registration form, dont let them send it to the DVLA, you need it for when you want to VRT the car.
    13. Pay road tax (UK) you cant drive the car without road tax, but this is up to you. If the boys in pull you over explain the story to them.
    14. Drive car to Ferry.
    15. Arrive in Ireland.
    16. Next day go to VRO office. and get the car registered.
    17. Any debit balance left on the credit card put it back into your car loan account.

Easy. lots of travelling, but worth the savings. Take someone along with you as well. Myself and a friend are heading to UK next summer to keep up a motor each.

Advertisement