Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Pressure in Balbriggan

Options
  • 27-09-2006 3:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does everyone have problems witht he shortage of water and the water pressure?

If you did and don't know,how was it resolved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Do you mean right now or over the past few months?

Try giving Fingal Co Co Water Supply a call on 8905900.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

only lived there a year so since day1,

The council did improve it ever so slightly a few months ago but like there is more pressure in the rain!!

Are you living up on a height? I'm living on the top of a hill, & while the pressure isn't great - it is passable.

What's your neighbours' pressure like? If it's the same for all of you then I doubt that there'll be any short term fix.

We've had a few issues with the water being turned off for a few hours a day over the course of 3 or 4 days - but that has affected everyone in The Hills.

Best bet is to ring the number above & ask them what the story is regarding the water pressure in your area. The lads & lassies in Gardening & DIY could possibly advise you on installing a pump which may help boost the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Ah crappy water pressure - welcome to Balbriggan.

Was talking to a guy who works in Fingal County Council recently and he said that there is a massive project in the works to sort out the water problems in the Fingal area. He didn't really go into too much detail (probably saw the glazed look in my eye) but there's probably some info on the website.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I live in legoland so not exactly on a hill.

The 3 storey houses couldn't use their shower on the 3rd floor at all due to water pressure this was brought up with the builders but don't think they got much satisfaction in the end.

All you hear is that it is a general problem blah blah council,nothing we can do blah blah tough luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Snivilian

Ah crappy water pressure - welcome to Balbriggan.

Was talking to a guy who works in Fingal County Council recently and he said that there is a massive project in the works to sort out the water problems in the Fingal area. He didn't really go into too much detail (probably saw the glazed look in my eye) but there's probably some info on the website.

Next time you head south on the M50 take a look to your right. Around the Ballymun exit

That site near the M50 is around 250 feet above sea level. My gaff is at around 200 feet - so I doubt that there will be much of a benefit to me unless they put in a decent pumping station.
    But maybe you guys in the lowlands will be able to wash yourselves eventually when it's done. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

water pressure in Balbriggan has never been good from what I remember over the last 25 years.

I used to live in the town then moved to Balrothery and now am back in the town, and the water pressure has never been brilliant

Ah! it only serves north dublin city and south fingal.

I guess il have to keep washing myself in the toilet so!

http://www.dublincity.ie/shaping_the_city/infrastructure/north_fringe_watermain/

Grab a bar of soap & off to the beach with you!

• Advertisement

My toilet is cleaner than that beach

All you need to do is stand out in the rain with your bar of soap and bottle of shampoo;)

At least that way you can rinse your hair,got stuck with a hair full of shampoo and no water left more then once now.

Did many of you get pumps in?Is that red thing in the hotpresses beside the water tank in Dun Saithne a pump?

The big water mushroom beside the m50,was hoping it might help but hopefully it will cure the lack of water problem anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Moonbeam wrote:
    Did many of you get pumps in?Is that red thing in the hotpresses beside the water tank in Dun Saithne a pump?

Nope, it's a expansion vessel.

Moonbeam wrote:
    Did many of you get pumps in?

I didn't bother. While our water pressure isn't great - it is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Moonbeam wrote:
    I live in legoland so not exactly on a hill.
    Legoland is at least 150ft above sea level!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

September Meeting.
    WATER CAPACITY IN BALBRIGGAN/SWORDS

It was proposed by Councillor C. Daly, seconded by Councillor A. Devitt:

"This Committee requires an outline of the necessary works, and a timescale for their implementation in order to eliminate the constant water cut offs experienced by residents in particular areas of the Balbriggan/Swords Area as a consequence of measures taken by the local authority to ensure adequate daytime water supply. This committee believes that this is unacceptable and must stop."

The following report by the Manager which had been circulated was READ:

During periods of high demand it has been necessary to implement planned pressure reduction to conserve potable water storage in the Reservoirs. This is carried out at a time and in a way designed to least inconvenience our customers, and is necessary to ensure adequate day time supply. In the current year this practice occurred during parts of July and August.

The solution ultimately lies in a combination of improvement in the treatment capacity across the Region and in the adoption of conservation measures by Local authority and public alike.

Current and planned improvements include:

* An extra 20 million litres per day (mld) was recently brought into the regional network by an expansion to Dublin City Councils’ treatment plant at Ballymore Eustace, which has mitigated the effects of the dry weather this year

* Further increases are planned in the capacity of Ballymore Eustace plant for completion during 2009

* A 50% expansion (or 80 mld) is planned at Fingal County Councils’ Treatment plant at Leixlip and should be complete during 2008

* In the long term a new extraction source is planned for the region, probably the River Shannon, with an expected delivery date of 2016

Actions are also underway or planned in relation to the distribution main network:

* Dedicated resources are allocated to the identification and repair of leaks in the system and to the replacement of vulnerable water mains as part of our annual Works Programme.

* A 5 year Capital Water Main Rehabilitation Programme started in 2006 with a view of systematically replacing water mains across the Region in an effort to maximise water loss reduction. It is expected that a significant proportion of these water mains will be in Fingal.

The successful implementation of the above measures will greatly improve the level of service provided by the Water Services Department.

Following discussion the Committee NOTED the foregoing report.

Thanks Bluetonic:)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Where did ya find these reports BT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

sirpsycho wrote:
    Where did ya find these reports BT ?

www.fingalcoco.ie

So far haven't seen any problems with water pressure, although have never used it in the 8am region yet.
    Bad sign when the blow-ins start getting the decent pressure ;)

• Advertisement

Didn't realise you had moved in already:)

You should call over for tea and biccies:)

Ah,still in the process of ... though water pressure is excellent, better than where I am now (to stay on topic ;)

Advertisement