Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Tax Query

Options
  • 27-09-2006 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Alright folks, just wondering if anyone could help me out with thius one??

Traded my car in back in may but just got a letter in telloin me to renew my tax in the next ten days or the gardai will be informed. Now it does have the option of sending the form back with documentation stating ive since traded in the car.

But when i traded it in i got no documentation saying so. Anyone come across this before or have any ideas? Cheers.

Much Appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

TOPDAWG wrote:
    Alright folks, just wondering if anyone could help me out with thius one??

Traded my car in back in may but just got a letter in telloin me to renew my tax in the next ten days or the gardai will be informed. Now it does have the option of sending the form back with documentation stating ive since traded in the car.

But when i traded it in i got no documentation saying so. Anyone come across this before or have any ideas? Cheers.

Much Appreciated.

Same happened to me, but I don't recall being asked for any documentation to prove I had traded it in, I just filled in the form. For future reference, it's not a bad idea to get the garage to sign something stating that they have taken ownership of the car, so you have something to show if the car is caught speeding during a test drive or whatever.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would return to the dealership where you traded the car in and get them to sign a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you need to complete an RF105 form (green). available at the dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm getting those letters the last couole of months for my safrane, although I still own that but it's sitting in my drive. Was gettign them for a year on the rover till I swapped ownership to the mother an shes driving it now (taxed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I have a similar query.
    Just bought a car privately that was not taxed since May since it was sitting in the guy's driveway. When I pay the tax now, do I pay it from today, or from May?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

I think you would have too, unless you get a guard to sign a form to say it has been off the road for those months. Form RF100A is the one you need to get signed, link - http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/0/0a59e3b8f0696d2280256f0f003bc842/$FILE/RF100A Form (front).pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No you only pay tax from the date of change of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Stekelly wrote:
    No you only pay tax from the date of change of ownership.

...and you don't need to get the guards' stamp in this situation. you don't have to do anything if you've just bought the car. just tax it in the usual way.

Advertisement