Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride the Lightning vs. Master Of Puppets

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Puppets just about wins out for me, mostly because I love driving to Orion, that's my driving song (not when gf is in the car, usually Madonna or the like then :cries:) :o

Some great songs on RTL including fade to black and fight fire but I love battery and TTTSNB (I'm a HP Lovecraft fan) from Puppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Ph3n0m wrote:
    what are you? high? Motorbreath is sheer rawness at its best - the kind of song that sinks its teeth into your ass and rips you a new one (IMO)
    I am high actually;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mop, ...ajfa, Rtl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Mop, ...ajfa, Rtl.

What?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You are right, Maybe AJFA should be first. Thank you for pointing out my err.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

No way. You had it right the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

AJFA is half filler! O_O
    *boggles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

And the "production" is shoddy!! Ye can't hear the bass!! No bottom end.....?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Ride the Lightning for me....just about.

Hearing MOP in its entirety live this year was amazing but....there is just something about RTL.....just cant put my finger on it.

And the "production" is shoddy!! Ye can't hear the bass!! No bottom end.....?:confused:

Im pretty sure thats a myth. I mean, im pretty sure that if I was Jason Newstead, and having recorded an album with Metallica (on the back of 3 very successful albums) I would have walked if id spent months recording the album and then found out that my Bass lines where non-exsistent I would walk. I mean he'd already recorded a covers EP with them and theres nothing wrong, bass like, with that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭h-street23

Ride by a good bit.More atmosphere.More progressive in nature.Master is more coherent and heavier and more solid, but slightly less interesting.

Justice is favourite album tho cos it's completely ambiguous at every level.Like an experiment that was never finished.

Reload is also excellent.

St Anger is an irredeemable nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Im pretty sure thats a myth. I mean, im pretty sure that if I was Jason Newstead, and having recorded an album with Metallica (on the back of 3 very successful albums) I would have walked if id spent months recording the album and then found out that my Bass lines where non-exsistent I would walk. I mean he'd already recorded a covers EP with them and theres nothing wrong, bass like, with that!

Have you listened to that album? It's all guitar chunk and no bass. Makes it damn near unlistenable for me.

Have you listened to that album? It's all guitar chunk and no bass. Makes it damn near unlistenable for me.

Found this on Wikipedia, have to say i never really noticed it before, maybe because im just not a musician and havent heard AJFA in a long time tbh

And, in one of the more famous of Hetfield and Ulrich's controversies with bassist Jason Newsted, the album almost completely lacks bass guitar. The standard explanation for this combines Newsted's absence from the mixing sessions (where he might have asserted his opinion) and the lingering issue of his "newness" within the band following the tragic death of Cliff Burton in September 1986.

As said by the band in their magazine SO WHAT!, they wish that they could re-mix the entire album because the drums and guitar overpower the bass completely. Some believe this is because Jason Newsted was new to the band and they wanted to frustrate him.

The band stated many times in subsequent years that this kind of difficulty was the primary reason for the relatively simpler song structures on their next album, Metallica. Hammett said: "One day after we played 'Justice' and got off the stage one of us said, We're never ****ing playing that song again."

In 1988, the band recorded ...And Justice for All, Jason's official debut with Metallica. While the album contains classic Metallica songs such as "Blackened" (which Jason co-wrote), "One," and "Harvester of Sorrow", the bass guitar is all but non-existent, buried under layer upon layer of Hetfield's rhythm guitar tracks. Only a trained ear can make out many of the parts, although this can also be partially attributed to Jason's doubling of Hetfield's rhythm guitar parts (drummer Ulrich has challenged fans to find any instance in any song on the album in which Jason is not doubling the rhythm parts).

Jason withstood an ongoing series of practical jokes during the mammoth two-year Damaged Justice tour supporting ... Justice .... Some of his hazing experiences would include: being tricked into eating wasabi, the band members ordering alcoholic drinks and charging it to his hotel room and, mentioned during the 2001 Playboy interview [1], having his personal belongings getting thrown out of his hotel window. He said the hazing went from fraternity pranks (such as the autograph sessions mentioned above) to being downright cruel with turning down the bass in ...And Justice for All as an example. He felt that the hazing never stopped. Many fans who have come to his defense have cited this behavior among the evidence that he was never fully accepted as an equal member of the band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I read that there wasn't as big an emphasis on the bass as in previous albums because the super bass thing was Burton's signature thing, not Metallica's.

Has there ever been a legit source stating that they actually just lifted the bass lines off?

I read that there wasn't as big an emphasis on the bass as in previous albums because the super bass thing was Burton's signature thing, not Metallica's.

There's a difference between having a big emphasis on bass and actually being able to hear it. On AJFA you simply can't hear it.
    Has there ever been a legit source stating that they actually just lifted the bass lines off?

The bass lines aren't lifted off afaik, they're just covered up layers of rhythm guitar and bass drum.

neGev wrote:
    The bass lines aren't lifted off afaik, they're just covered up layers of rhythm guitar and bass drum.

As such, drummer Ulrich has actually challenged fans to find any instance in any song on the album in which Jason is not doubling the rhythm parts

As such, drummer Ulrich has actually challenged fans to find any instance in any song on the album in which Jason is not doubling the rhythm parts

Yeah, but I'm sure somebody challenged Lars to stop being a monumental idiot years ago too, but he's yet to come up with the goods.

neGev wrote:
    Yeah, but I'm sure somebody challenged Lars to stop being a monumental idiot years ago too, but he's yet to come up with the goods.

Good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

I've always preferred Master Of Puppets, although I do love Ride the Lightening. I think it's the production on Master Of Puppets that sold it for me to be honest. I think it was the first album that did justice (excuse the pun) to the lower end of their music. (I just mean in the mix, Cliff was a fantastic bass player on all their early stuff). It was the first album where their sound was really full, instead of the thinned out mix on Kill 'em All and only slightly better on Ride The Lightening.
    IMO, nothing can compare to the grunt of the main riff in Leper Messiah or The Thing That Should Not Be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement