Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving without license

Options
  • 27-09-2006 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

What is the usual penalty for being caught driving without a license?

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You'll lose your licence :D Couldn't resist.

I'd imagine a court appearence and maybe a ban/fine depending on the judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

do you mean you have no license or just not with you when you are stopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

Noelie wrote:
    do you mean you have no license or just not with you when you are stopped?

My cousin got stopped and hadn't her license, which was a provisional, in the car and was asked to produce in ten days.

She couldn't find the license at home and went to get it reissued at the tax office and discovered it had actually expired.

She got a new provisional from that date and produced it, but it won't cover her for the time she was stopped.

Genuine mistake, will the guard who phones the station or checks the computer cop it do you reckon and if so what will come of it?

She's up the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Go up to the station with the new license and explain that you just recieved your new license as you were awaiting a new one. The old license is now in the care of the Tax office as you are supposed to send it back.

The rather bored Guard will prolly just write it down in the book that you produced it. The other guard will then read that you produced a valid license the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was she supposed to have a full license driver with her?

If so I hope she does get done and gets a ban, its about time the Garda stamped down on the prov drivers flying around on there own when they are supposed to have a full license driver with her

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Big Nelly wrote:

If so I hope she does get done and gets a ban, its about time the Garda stamped down on the prov drivers flying around on there own when they are supposed to have a full license driver with her

BN..... what about the 2nd provo dirvers???

Does anyone know what the penalty is?

Is it points? A fine and points, or a ban?

jonny24ie wrote:
    BN..... what about the 2nd provo dirvers???

Hence why I said was she supposed to have a full license driver with her

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Big Nelly wrote:

Tut tut.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote:
    Tut tut.

Lost now?? Is the english wrong or something? If so then I couldnt give 2 f**ks.......technie so I dont be needed that proper englandie stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Big Nelly wrote:

Oh god, give over and mind you don't fall off that horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Big Nelly wrote:

Considering her first license had expired..then she will be getting a second provisional (which will be backdated to when the first one expired) and doesnt need someone else in the car with her in the eyes of the law?

OP as long as she produces some documentation to show that its in the post I really really doubt the local Garda will give two figs about it. Would be far worse if no insurance etc though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Does anyone know what the penalty is?

Is it points? A fine and points, or a ban?
    Driving without a valid driving licence is not a penalty points offence. It's usually a fine AFAIK.

It's important to differentiate whether the licence has elapsed (which is technically driving without a licence) and driving without ever having had a licence for the relevant category in the first place.

Driving with a lapsed licence is considered much less serious. Even insurance conpanies ask if you "hold or ever have held a licence" for the relevant category.

Edit - spelling mistake.

Thanks wishbone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Big Nelly wrote:

Oh, get over yourself. You really expect people to become competent drivers by waiting nearly a year for a test? I've been driving solo for the last month after about 15 lessons with a qualified tester and numerous hours with parents and uncles. I did about 40 hours of training before I went out on my own, and I feel confident enough that I would pass my test, which I applied for the day I got my provisional. It's not our fault that the system is a complete joke. My local center has a waiting list of 44 weeks, with a pass rate of 50%. I intend to pass first time. I have read countless books, watched DVDs, bought 2 different rules of the road books, and I daresay, I know how to use a roundabout properly, compared to a lot of full license drivers who use the right lane for the second exit because there's a bigger queue on the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

chrislad wrote:
    I intend to pass first time.

You can never account for bad luck though.
    chrislad wrote:
    and I daresay, I know how to use a roundabout properly, compared to a lot of full license drivers who use the right lane for the second exit because there's a bigger queue on the left lane.

If the second exit has two lanes, then that's perfectly fine.

I know, but I'm talking about a 3 exit roundabout, on the new Limerick - Dublin road.

While it's true that I can't account for bad luck, I can still account for my own driving skills. Think positive :)

chrislad wrote:
    Oh, get over yourself. You really expect people to become competent drivers by waiting nearly a year for a test? I've been driving solo for the last month after about 15 lessons with a qualified tester and numerous hours with parents and uncles. I did about 40 hours of training before I went out on my own, and I feel confident enough that I would pass my test, which I applied for the day I got my provisional. It's not our fault that the system is a complete joke. My local center has a waiting list of 44 weeks, with a pass rate of 50%. I intend to pass first time. I have read countless books, watched DVDs, bought 2 different rules of the road books, and I daresay, I know how to use a roundabout properly, compared to a lot of full license drivers who use the right lane for the second exit because there's a bigger queue on the left lane.

Yeah but you dont have the experience and that why you are supposed to have a full license driver with you, in case of an emergency most learner drivers havent a clue what to do and this is why you are supposed to have a full license driver to give you advice.

Every learner driver that comes on here goes on about how great a driver they are but all the L driver I have seen there is a 70 -80% average of them being sh*t drivers. This includes wrong use of indicators on roundabouts, fog lights constantly on, cant use head lights, obeservation is terrible(pure tunnel vision, if you look out the front window constantly everything will be ok), havent a clue what a yellow box is for, traffic lights(either break them or jam on breaks in dangerous situation nearly causing an accident, part of tunnel vision, and the list goes on

You cant learn to drive reading a book or watching a DVD which I find very unlikely you have done either, any L driver I know looks at the manual so they can pass the questions and stick on L plate and off they go.

Also the usual excuse of I cant get a test doesnt hold up, I can get a test in about a month and anyone I know can as well, on the other thread here about driving people have mentioned a 4 week waiting list so saying my local centre has 44 week is no good, just ring another centre and get there waiting list, since your such a good driver then just drive down

Also and last but not least its ILLEGAL, you are a L plate driver and you are supposed to have a full license driver with you, end of story. Sooner the Garda come down on this the better, I have held this stance for a long time here, I have relaxed my view of giving L drivers with no full license drivers a years ban but some sort of ban should be handed out first time, second time caught and year ban.

Oh yeah you cant really slag off full license drivers, we are legal on the road and we have passed the test which means we are better driver than you. The law says so;)

Big Nelly wrote:
    includes wrong use of indicators on roundabouts, fog lights constantly on, cant use head lights, obeservation is terrible(pure tunnel vision, if you look out the front window constantly everything will be ok), havent a clue what a yellow box is for, traffic lights(either break them or jam on breaks in dangerous situation nearly causing an accident, part of tunnel vision, and the list goes on
    Sounds like many full licence holders to me. ;):D
    chrislad wrote:
    I know, but I'm talking about a 3 exit roundabout, on the new Limerick - Dublin road.
    It's perfectly legal to enter a roundabout on the right lane and exit at the second exit provided that the second exit has two lanes and also provided that there is no specific signage prohibiting it. (Perpaps there is in this case - I'm not familiar with the roundabout in question).

• Advertisement

Sounds like many full licence holders to me. ;):D

Nah full license drivers have mastered that except if you drive a BMW, then you just own the road because you paid a fortune for a overpriced car:p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Big Nelly wrote:
    Also the usual excuse of I cant get a test doesnt hold up, I can get a test in about a month and anyone I know can as well, on the other thread here about driving people have mentioned a 4 week waiting list so saying my local centre has 44 week is no good, just ring another centre and get there waiting list, since your such a good driver then just drive down

There's no centre with a 4 week waiting list. The shortest is 13 weeks (Monaghan and Skibbereen). Actually it might not be a bad idea for me to apply there still, my Dublin one is still months off, my Cork one is due but I've received no letter as yet (going to ring them now and find out wtf is going on).

As for cancellations, not everyone can get the day off work at a moment's notice should a cancellation pop up.

When I was doing lessons/driving on a first provisional with my parents, I used to be all high and mighty like "look at those other L-drivers driving on their own, boy racers most of them, why don't the gardaí take them off the road, grrr". After putting up with the whole test fiasco for too long and the final nail in the coffin being Cullen getting approval for outsourcing, but not actually bothering to outsource, I really couldn't give a **** anymore.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yeah but you dont have the experience and that why you are supposed to have a full license driver with you, in case of an emergency most learner drivers havent a clue what to do and this is why you are supposed to have a full license driver to give you advice.

Every learner driver that comes on here goes on about how great a driver they are but all the L driver I have seen there is a 70 -80% average of them being sh*t drivers. This includes wrong use of indicators on roundabouts, fog lights constantly on, cant use head lights, obeservation is terrible(pure tunnel vision, if you look out the front window constantly everything will be ok), havent a clue what a yellow box is for, traffic lights(either break them or jam on breaks in dangerous situation nearly causing an accident, part of tunnel vision, and the list goes on

You cant learn to drive reading a book or watching a DVD which I find very unlikely you have done either, any L driver I know looks at the manual so they can pass the questions and stick on L plate and off they go.

Also and last but not least its ILLEGAL, you are a L plate driver and you are supposed to have a full license driver with you, end of story. Sooner the Garda come down on this the better, I have held this stance for a long time here, I have relaxed my view of giving L drivers with no full license drivers a years ban but some sort of ban should be handed out first time, second time caught and year ban.

Oh yeah you cant really slag off full license drivers, we are legal on the road and we have passed the test which means we are better driver than you. The law says so;)

Mate, you have a serious attitude problem. Really. You are accusing me of lying. Not that I need to justify myself to you, but I actually do have a DVD which I have watched about 3 times (ISM How to pass your driving test) and I have a couple of other books. Admittedly, I never read the theory test book much, but the other two, I do read religiously. Part of the reason is because my brother was the type of driver you are describing, before he had a serious accident. It's also why I was so late starting to drive, as I'm 23 now. You know next to nothing about me, so don't generalise. I know perfectly well how to just a box junction. I know how to indicate and use lights properly. I can use roundabouts in my sleep, because I damn well practiced the hell out of them when I was learning. As for a 4 week waiting list? What country is that in because it sure as hell isn't this one. Please see link.

http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/frameset.html

Note the Limerick area. 44 weeks. I applied for my test on July 27th, the day I got my provisional. If I got the test tomorrow, I am confident I could pass it.

Part of the reason there is such a long waiting list is because people are applying in more than one center and not cancelling when they get it elsewhere. Also, I did not say I was a good driver. I am competent. I can manage on dual carraigeways, city center driving and the like. I have dealt with a few incidents in a few weeks where I had to be observant.

Yes, technically, it is illegal, but how the hell are you meant to get driving experience if you can't drive bar when you have to drag a full license driver out with you, which for the most part would be late at night as for me, it's either going to be my parents or my uncle who wouldn't be able to take me out until around 9pm when traffic is light and learning is minimal. As it is, I hope to have my license by the end of the year, as I got a letter from work to hopefully speed things up.

I'd work on that attitude though. And some of your facts.

Stark wrote:
    There's no centre with a 4 week waiting list.
    He may be confusing the waiting list for category B with other categories. It is possible to get a test in CE,D or A within 4 weeks in many centres.

Edit - Part of post deleted due to misleading information. :o

Part of the reason there is such a long waiting list is because people are applying in more than one center and not cancelling
    Or not turning up for the test and wasting valuable slots. AFAIK there are two or three times more drivers on provisionals than waiting for tests. Imagine if they all applied :eek:.
    I have dealt with a few incidents in a few weeks where I had to be observant.
    You should be observant all the time. :D (WA climbs back down from high horse).
    Yes, technically, it is illegal, but how the hell are you meant to get driving experience if you can't drive bar when you have to drag a full license driver out with you
    You could get around it on a technicality but I wouldn't recommend it. Apply for a lprovisional icence 2 years before you need it (if possible) but don't use it. When it expires apply for a 2nd, begin driving - no legal requirement to be accompanied then. ;):D)

Wishbone, are you sure? I was told over the phone that I needed a provisional before I applied for the test.

If only I had the foresight to apply for my provisional 2 years ago. To be honest, a car wasn't a necessity until recently so it never even entered my head.

To clarify matters, I have no problems taking advice from people. I'm new. I don't expect to know it all. I do have a problem with people generalising and generally being an ass without any constructive criticism when no doubt (to take a leaf from his generalising book) he did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

i am on my third provisional i can drive on the roads without antyone with me and i have only been driving over a year because i applied for my first one then was out of work so coulnt afford a car at the time i renewed it when it was up having never taken to the road or had lessons then by the time i decided to buy a car and insurance i needed a third prov then i appplied for my test which i failed i drove out of the driving centre in my own car waving goodbye to the tester with a smug look on my face its ridiculous i know oh and he gave me a letter which i can use to renew my licence again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

curehead wrote:
    i am on my third provisional i can drive on the roads without antyone with me
    No you can't. And for God's sake, learn what punctuation is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah thats next to impossible to read ;)

No you cant drive alone on your third provisional. Its the same as your first. Why anyone would need a third provisional or anything after that i dont know, maybe you shouldn't be driving at all....

• Advertisement

Edit - Post Deleted Misleading Information.:o

Apologies Chris - I'd forgotton about the Theory Test. You have to have provide your licence number when applying for a theory test. (I was driving before it's introduction so I didn't think of it :o)

Advertisement