Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving without license

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

curehead wrote:
    i am on my third provisional i can drive on the roads without antyone with me and i have only been driving over a year because i applied for my first one then was out of work so coulnt afford a car at the time i renewed it when it was up having never taken to the road or had lessons then by the time i decided to buy a car and insurance i needed a third prov then i appplied for my test which i failed i drove out of the driving centre in my own car waving goodbye to the tester with a smug look on my face its ridiculous i know oh and he gave me a letter which i can use to renew my licence again ?
    Sorry, I gave up after 2 lines. How about some punctuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Edit - Post Deleted Misleading Information.:o

Apologies Chris - I'd forgotton about the Theory Test. You have to have provide your licence number when applying for a theory test. (I was driving before it's introduction so I didn't think of it :o)

I think you mean you have to apply for your theory test to get your licence number, then you can apply for your full test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Pacifico wrote:
    Yeah thats next to impossible to read ;)

No you cant drive alone on your third provisional. Its the same as your first. Why anyone would need a third provisional or anything after that i dont know, maybe you shouldn't be driving at all....
    Well my gf is just started on her third provisional, the only reason she's on her third is that she stopped driving for almost two years a while back and her second provisional ran out. In order to apply for a third you need to apply for a test and send the test confirmation letter to get the third licence.

The idea of the alterating need a full licence driver every second provisional licence is that it is supposed to encourage you to pass the test. In reality it's a stupid rule and should be gotten rid of immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

silas wrote:
    The idea of the alterating need a full licence driver every second provisional licence is that it is supposed to encourage you to pass the test. In reality it's a stupid rule and should be gotten rid of immediately.

It's not alternating every second, it's only the second. Every other provisional licence, 4th etc. requires a fully licenced passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

ok sorry about the punctuation bit , i didn't realise i was at school.
    :) i have been driving on my own for a couple of years now and have been stopped by the guards at checkpoints numerous times .i have L plates front and back and not once did they say anything about having to have a qualified passenger beside me i thought this was because of my third provisional , ok maybe i was misinformed if i was then why didn't i get arrested or whatever is it some kind of grey area either you do or you dont which is it.? when i applied for my licence to drive no one in any office told me any of this information , HAVE LICENCE CAN TRAVEL

• Advertisement

Legally, you're not allowed drive on your own. The only reason you weren't arrested is because the gardaí weren't arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

"I have held this stance for a long time here, I have relaxed my view of giving L drivers with no full license drivers a years ban but some sort of ban should be handed out first time, second time caught and year ban. "

This law is unworkable, because they can't manage to test everyone in a reasonable time. Therefore they don't rigidly enforce it and you'd have to rightly pi5s a copper off for him to use it against you.

You're just being utterly intolerant and ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

curehead wrote:
    when i applied for my licence to drive no one in any office told me any of this information , HAVE LICENCE CAN TRAVEL

Well, while true, ignorance is no defence.

No one told you not to drive at 200kmph either but you still (hopefully) don't do that.

By accepting that you "HAVE LICENCE CAN TRAVEL" you agree to be bound by the rules of the road and all the legislation that partails to that. Whether you are caught or not, or whether anyone gives a damn is a different matter.

Legally speaking no provisional driver on anything other than a 2nd provisional may drive alone, notwithstanding the probably moot point that they can (physically) do it.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nereid wrote:
    Legally speaking no provisional driver on anything other than a 2nd provisional may drive alone
    Unless:

1. They held the provisional before the 12th August 1985.
    2. The provisional is in category A,A1,M,W

:D:D:D (well, you did say legally speaking)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Here's my story, got my 1st provisional years ago, 97 possibly, started lessons with my Dad - who taught me terribly I must say - and then moved to London where my bag containing items such as passport and provisional were nicked.

A year later moved back to Dublin got a lost/stolen license form or whatever and got my second provisional. Took lessons with my girlfriend who taught me excellently. However, I didn't realy drive that much and had no need to.

2nd provisional expired a few months back and at the same time a job came up which required that you drive. I went for it, got my 3rd provisional and applied for the test. Got a work letter and sent it off also. I got the job, and have had to drive to do my job. I know I shouldn't be driving alone, but....

I've taken some professional lessons recently from a man who comes highly recommended - Raheny, Clontarf area if anyone wants his details - and on my first lesson he told me I was an excellent driver and basically ready for the test. He said whoever taught me did an excellent job.

So, partly through my own laziness in not driving while I had the chance and not applying for the test sooner, and partly through just the way my life happened I now have to drive. I still figure I'm learning, but provided I have full control of my car, and am fully observant and safe I reckon I'm alright and can handle any situation. The sheer amount of idiot fully licensed drivers on the roads amazes me. Please note, I'm not saying learners are better, just that there's a massive amount of fully licensed drivers who should probably take a few lessons. These are either the people who read the rules of the road simply to pass and then forget about it once they have their test, or the older generation who were able to buy a license. My Dad for example can drive anything apparently, but I don't think he can manage a car so well. I went out with him a few weeks back and was shítting myself. If he was doing a test he would have failed without a doubt.

I'm going to ring the test centre as soon as possible and see what's going on because I think I should have heard something by now.

• Advertisement

where the hell am i meant to find someone to drive me in and out of work thirty odd miles away from my house at approx 7 am every morning and home at 5 pm in the evening. its not my problem the law is fcuked up and they have waiting lists for tests, and before you start there are no buses on this route, i need a car i am insured, taxed ,and licenced ,all things the law will pull you on the rest as they say is codswallop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

curehead wrote:
    where the hell am i meant to find someone to drive me in and out of work thirty odd miles away from my house at approx 7 am every morning and home at 5 pm in the evening.

How did you survive before?

curehead wrote:
    its not my problem the law is fcuked up and they have waiting lists for tests

Unfortunately it is your problem. I don't like the price I have to pay for insurance but I still do it, I don't like paying taxes but I still do it. By your logic, I could go and withdraw money from your bank account because I dont like all their "rules" and "regulations".
    curehead wrote:
    i need a car i am insured, taxed ,and licenced ,all things the law will pull you on the rest as they say is codswallop

You are only licenced if you have a full licence holder with you in the car. Not only that, but the full licence holder must conform to the rules of the road as well (for example, you cannot be the designated driver to a car full of plastered full licence holders)

BTW, I am not denying you will not get caught, I am merely pointing out the fact that legally, if anyone in authority was arsed, they could do something... Reality on the otherhand, like you so eloquently put it, says otherwise.

L.

nereid wrote:
    How did you survive before?

i wouldnt have been able to work at said job if i didnt have a car ,otherwise i would have to get a job in my village, which there are none

Unfortunately it is your problem. I don't like the price I have to pay for insurance but I still do it, I don't like paying taxes but I still do it. By your logic, I could go and withdraw money from your bank account because I dont like all their "rules" and "regulations".

i dont like the price of my insurance either but i pay it and move on i also pay taxes because i have a job which i wouldnt have if i didnt have a car . SEE ABOVE ' as for withdrawing money from my account i have no idea where you are going with that one

You are only licenced if you have a full licence holder with you in the car. Not only that, but the full licence holder must conform to the rules of the road as well (for example, you cannot be the designated driver to a car full of plastered full licence holders)

i have been pulled over numerous times at garda check points they check my licence (provisional) tax on windscreen (up to date) and insurance (up to date ) and say carry on sir good day

:d :-)

nereid wrote:

Where did you read that? The only condition I've seen attached to a provisional licence is that you must have a full licenced driver in the car with you. It doesn't even say that they have to be conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Stark wrote:
    Where did you read that? The only condition I've seen attached to a provisional licence is that you must have a full licenced driver in the car with you. It doesn't even say that they have to be conscious.

The fully licensed driver has to be in a suitable condition to drive. They cannot be drunk, stoned, etc. I don’t have time to go look at the regulations, but I do know of cases where passengers were b-tested, failed, and the person on provo license was prosecuted for being un accompanied, and ended up being fined. Missing plates, and some other stuff was the main charges.

Technically, the driver is supposed to be supervising, offering advice etc. to the learner, so good reasons for having a sober, fully awake driver in the passenger seat. I'm also under impression that they have to be in the passenger seat too, not a back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

curehead wrote:
    i have been pulled over numerous times at garda check points they check my licence (provisional) tax on windscreen (up to date) and insurance (up to date ) and say carry on sir good day

if you are ever pulled over for somethign else, like speeding, you can be sure they will do you for the license too

event wrote:
    if you are ever pulled over for somethign else, like speeding, you can be sure they will do you for the license too

yeah cause gardai are that childish

Advertisement