Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

video card giving trouble

Options
  • 27-09-2006 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

recently my video card died(BFG 6800 GT OC), it would cause the monitor to go to sleep once the pc was turned on. but everything else seemed to work.
    I sent it back and got a replacement, happy days!!!
    but in the mean time i had renstalled XP with my spare card which is a nvidia 4200 TI, everything worked fine, i was able to get 3dmark 2001 and 2003 to work fine, updated all the drivers ect. when my replacement arrived, i put it in and booted up. everything fine, but when i went to run 3dmark 2001 and 2003, the thing went mental, really slow and weird everywere.

I decided to reseat the card and renstall windows again, now i get black patchs on the screen when the card is put under load.

do i send it back again? or could it be a driver problem or could the motherboard be damaged? HELP?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Black patches on the screen? Could your card be overheating? Distortions on the monitor generally relate to heat issues, from my experience at least. Have you replaced the stock cooler with a 3rd party cooler?

Did you try installing the latest Nvidia drivers and DirectX9c? 3DMark wasn't on CPU mode by any chance? :D It'll crawl along on those tests regardless of GFX card.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭EL WOG

hey,
    as for heat, everything is good. the card is totaly stock, no mods to it.
    as for drivers, i got all the latest drivers, and i changed no setting on 3dmark
    and it ran fine with my GForce 4.
    thanks for your reply
    EL WOG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Uninstall the NVIDIA display drivers
    Ignore the prompts to install the driver upon reboot
    Run Drivercleaner select the NVIDIA profile so it will remove the remnants of the driver.
    Reboot once more, re-install your AGP driver for your motherboard.
    Reboot again and install the official driver 91.47 & reboot once more.
    Install Direct-X 9 August 2006 update.

Hopefully that should solve the problem.

Advertisement