Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre lightener for badly dyed hair

• 27-09-2006 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used a pre lightener to get rid of a bad dye job my hair is jet black now and i want to get a medium brown colour (my natural colour) Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Busterpuss

have never used one, but my hairdresser told me, fairy washin up liquid and timotei will strip the colour out of your hair, head and shoulders also. id go with the washin up liquid, have done it myself and its the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

tried it and no difference although i know people that have tried it and worked. also tried head and shoulders but no joy.

:( sorry im out of suggestions :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

If you go to a hair dresser they'll be all for stripping it. Which is extemely bad for your hair.

Did you use a semi or a permanent dye?

My advise:
    1. Either or both will fade as long as you do not reapply. This will take a few weeks so you will have to be patient (I know not what you wanted to hear)
    2. When the colour has faded re-dye the hair with a medium brown.

A.

this was a question that was asked on yahoo:

Will applying a blonde pre lightener 2 my coloured black hair, then applying a brown colour make my hair brown

Answer:

Hi. It would be safer to go into a salon as doing the procedure yourself is difficult.Depending on what your natural base shade is, you won't know what effect it will have for sure.It will strip the colour out of your hair, but it might not strip it all out, but for sure, it will lighten your roots and then you end up with all colours, so I would advise you to go into a salon.When you are not working with 'virgin' hair, no-one will guarantee what the outcome will be.Putting brown onto bleached hair can give the hair a greenish tint, so make sure that the brown you choose also has some red in it.On the other-hand, colours are great fun, and everything can be 'fixed' to look good, but remember, that's a whole lot of chemical procedure you are going to do to your hair, so it won't be in the best of condition.Make sure whatever you do, you treat it and condition it well! Good Luck.

Reply:

Really good advice... I did use the pre lightener... Only put it on for 5 mins though then washed it off. My hair is slightly lighter now and more dark brown than black! Good job I didn't properly risk leaving it in for half an hour then dying it again. Thanks!

Strippin in the hairdressers will just wreck your hair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

best to go to a hair dressers if it was a permenent dye. If its a semi colour and if you want to try wash some of it out try pantene its known for stopping color lasting hairdressers always tell people not to use it if you have dyed hair as it coats the hair in silicon and stops the colour staying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Well i took the plunge and used the pre lightener....for an hour! and it made feck all difference to my hair colour! Just goes to show how much dye was in it ....Anyway I then decided to dye it a deep red colour to see if that would take the horrible look off it and guess what........It did! Its not exactly as i want it but much better than it was and the condition isn't too bad either. Thanks for your advice folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭gagalina

Hey,

if you want it a bit lighter, try using some "Redkin Cleansing Cream Shampoo" - the hairdresser recommended it to use it for a month or so before she stripped my hair from black to brown - i thought it worked wonders!!! After 4 days, my bf was amazed - in the sunlight, my hair had a lovely lighter tint (and that after colouring my hair black for nearly 3 year)
    So just kept using it everyday until I had the appointment at the hairdresser.

Advertisement