Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Sinfonietta and Warp Records

• 27-09-2006 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Have any of you heard Warp Works and 20th Century Masters yet? I picked it up yesterday, looks pretty interesting but haven't given it a spin yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

The world seems to be full of orchestras desperate to make their music "relevant", doesn't it?

That infernal Kronos Quartet have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

After listening to the album, you've hit the nail on the head. The stuff actually composed for orchestras is performed really while, nice versions of Cage's sonatas for prepared piano and Reich and Ligeti are done a lot of justice but the Warp stuff (essentially just Aphex Twin and Squarepusher) is fairly boring. Novelty value only on their part. Although, ignoring the Warp stuff, if you wanted to start someone on 20th century avant garde this would be a nice entry point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

John wrote:
    Although, ignoring the Warp stuff, if you wanted to start someone on 20th century avant garde this would be a nice entry point.

You've just added to my long list of recent impulse CD purchases :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You've just added to my long list of recent impulse CD purchases :)

Ditto! Hehe.

Speaking of impulse purchases and Warp records, I recently obtained a copy of the WarpVision DVD, featuring loads of cool videos from the last 15 years or so. It comes with a WarpMix CD and a bunch of postcards. Well worth getting at under 25 euros including delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I keep meaning to get that DVD but it's down on my list of priorities for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Some really nice videos on that, actually - not just the Chris Cunningham stuff either.
    John wrote:
    I keep meaning to get that DVD but it's down on my list of priorities for now.

Advertisement