Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benfica official programme views on Manchester and Liverpool

• 27-09-2006 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

Taken from last nights official programme. Seems they don't like Liverpool. I found the bit about the taxi driver funny though.

http://www.redcafe.net/showthread.php?t=129515

"Those of you who attended last years game beween Benfica and Manchester United will have enjoyed a fantastic encounter, regardless of which side you were supporting. It is to Manchester United's credit that Benfica gained such momentum from their victory that the following tie against Liverpool was such a great performance by our team. The thinking being that if we can defeat Manchester United, then we can certainly beat the likes of Liverpool. As any travelling Benfica fan will testify to, a trip to Manchester is an enjoyable experience and this years visit is already well anticipated, but last years trip to Merseyside was unusual to say the least."

"Inferno Na Luz reporters were amazed that a city which is only 35 miles away from Manchester could be so contrasting in appearance and style, that is to say, lack of it. As the prospective European City of Culture, this writer was expecting great things when journeying to the birthplace of the Beatles. However, in reality it is a far removed place from what is portrayed."

"The place seems to resemble post-war eastern Europe with its dereliction and decay. There are apparently more burnt out cars per kilometre than anywhere else in Europe, with Liverpool being only second in the world to Soweto for this dubious honour. The place seemed to run on a bizarre form of black economy, with drugs and prostitution rife. As visitors, we were seen as easy prey. In one 45-minute period, this writer was offered drugs and sexual services on 17 occasions! The amazing part being that this was actually on the journey from the airport to my hotel. I realise that he had to earn his living, but the taxi driver just wouldn't take no for an answer."

"I am happy to say that this year, we will once again be visiting Manchester and once more be sampling its wonderful hospitality.""

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Heh, good article. But how does that contrast with Manchester exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Those Everton taxi drivers, dodgy as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Those Everton taxi drivers, dodgy as hell.

Great comeback :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

classic article,but oh so true:rolleyes: :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Sign on, sign on... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I have a funny feeling that there will be some action taken against benfica for that. And I am also sure that there is the potential for alot of bans on this thread.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have a funny feeling that there will be some action taken against benfica for that. And I am also sure that there is the potential for alot of bans on this thread.

You must be getting the PSI trait of "Mystic Meg" and predicting bannings, since when has a discussion involving Manchester and Liverpool every evolved into bannings :p

I cannot comment on Liverpool as I have never been there but in fairness Manchester would not win too many "Tidy Town" competitions either, I cannot say that I saw any burnt out cars or ladies of the night but I wonder if that article was wrote by and United or Everton fan working for Benfica?

It is a bit hard hitting in fairness.

I cannot see action been taken against them but it they meet Liverpool at some stage the atmosphere should be even more ignited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Funny story.....ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I got more craic out of the "mostly" brain dead replies on redcafe, than I did reading the article. The article is obvioulsy written by a Manu fan.

I think there may well be some sanction if liverpool decide to pursue it. I remember Liverpool knocked Roma out of the waaffa cup losing one nil and the stadium announce played arrivedercci (sp) Roma. Roma complained, uefa acted on it and the club got some nature of a dressing down. Having had the dubious pleasure of visiting both Liverpool and Manchester, and London and Birmingham and Wigan and any number of other cities that are host to premiership footy I have to say that while the town is a bit shabbier than the rest the urban renewal going on is quite incredible ahead of the city of culture bit and places that used to be run down hovels are now being remade into quite decent areas. There are obviously some scallys about but no more than I would have met on a night out in Castlebar...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I had a great weekend in Liverpool in June ,struck me as being quite a progressive city with great nightlife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was in Liverpool a couple of years ago, and in fairness my over-riding impression was that the place is a kip. Just my opinion though.

I find it funny though that the Benfica fan felt the need to quote a taxi driver to get his point across. We all know how taxi drivers are always upstanding members of any civilised society. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Do people actually believe that this was printed in the official programme?

Is there a link to the official programme or are we taking some trustworthy person from Redcafe as our source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Do people actually believe that this was printed in the official programme?

Is there a link to the official programme or are we taking some trustworthy person from Redcafe as our source?

Anybody that believes it can only be a Manc fan, just like whoever wrote it. For starters, Benfica (like most European teams) don't do match day programmes and even if they did, why would they be writing in English ?

Just shows how obsessed (jealous ? ) ManU fans are with Liverpool. Following a great European away win for them, the only way they know how to celebrate is to have a pop at Liverpool. Amazing really, or "voyeurism" as Mourinho might call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

gustavo wrote:
    I had a great weekend in Liverpool in June ,struck me as being quite a progressive city with great nightlife.

well jaysis, we all know what kind of fun you were having now! :D

I have a match day program from Benfica in a european game.

I have many match day programs from European nights I have attended at Anfield.

I have the same from Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm annoyed that I've never been offered any sex or drugs on my trips to Liverpool. I actually find Dubin very similar to Liverpool (the Portuguese probably dont like it here much either).

Any Utd fans I know think Manchester is an awful kip and prefer to go to Liverpool. A few of them stay in Liverpool and go up to Manchester for the match then back to Liverpool. Never been to Manchester myself, but I assumed it was much like Liverpool, which I like. It's a bit of an unprofessional thing to be putting in an official programme.

I think Benfica are just venting cos they know they're crap and overachieved a few times last season.:)

On the renewal bit, I noticed a row of houses that was next to the pub beside the kop was gone this time I was over. It looked odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I wonder if the article was about Manchester or London would you say the same thing about bannings or would you laugh it off as the light hearted joke its meant to be?

I certainly wouldn't take it seriously anyway, even if it is from a match programme.

No I would say that there was a potential for bans in there too as there is any any thread where one group of fans have a reason to slag off the town/supporters of any other set of fans. Now if you have something to say say it elsewhere I am sick to the back teeth of your sniping and I will no longer tolerate it on this forum.

And so begins another T4TF vs. Lemlim b1tchfest thread.........

• Advertisement

I disagree, that is an end to it or should be.

We'll see....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

No I would say that there was a potential for bans in there too as there is any any thread where one group of fans have a reason to slag off the town/supporters of any other set of fans. Now if you have something to say say it elsewhere I am sick to the back teeth of your sniping and I will no longer tolerate it on this forum.
    But you do such a good job at encouraging it!

So glad yop is back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

hate to see what benfica fans think of away trips to ajax if they reckon liverpool is the smut central of europe

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

But you do such a good job at encouraging it!

So glad yop is back! :)

Never gone Pepe, just getting too old for slagging matches ( I have a wife for that!) :D;)

Advertisement