Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share you Contractor experiences

Options
  • 27-09-2006 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Would be interested to hear from anyone that has had any good or bad experiences with a contractor building their new house. Theres loads to choose from in the phone book but word of mouth is 100 times better :)

anyone any advice/opinions/stories to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

no thoughts? :) came across this crowd in another post: envirohomes.ie . they do timberframe houses but also seem to look after the rest of the build as well ie foundations etc, interesting idea

anyone have any contractors they could recommend?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just to note, name all the contractors you like who are positive, but please restrict any negative comments to people who you have personally dealt with and can say it is a real life experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got Scanhome.ie to build ours, They are very very professional.
    Everything was done on time and as they said it would be done.
    They also do the foundation, you have to get the groundwork levelled and prepared then they do the insulation, Radon, rebar and concrete.
    When they walk away you have a shell and most of the materials you need to finish the house.
    Only stuff I had to buy locally was Slab and some rockwool for stud wall/ceiling sound insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

I used Kenmare Timber Frame. Thought they were excellent. Higher spec. than some other timber frame manufacturers. Had to lay the slab myself, the guys came with crane and put up the shell in 3 days. I ran over time on laying the slab and was no problem for them to hold onto the frame at their factory for a few more weeks. Plasterboard and insulation included in price. 33 k for a 1900 sq ft house. Extremely warm and comfortable.

Advertisement