Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone missing a Dog?

Options
  • 27-09-2006 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I know it's a long shot but here goes anyway. While out walking our dog this morning we came across a Black lab/collie cross. It was following a girl who was heading to college and couldn't seem to shake off the dog. Myself and my wife brought it home as it looked like it was someone's pet, it was very friendly and seemed to be very well looked after and we didn't want it getting knocked down etc.. I have given it a wash and it would appear to be well used to living in a house and is good with our young kids so it's obviously used to young'uns around. He is medium sized, black bar a small white patch on his chest and seems quite young about a year old I'd say.
    We are hoping to be able to get this dog back to it's rightful owners. I have rang the local vets and the Gardai and reported it missing and have logged it on irish animals.ie aswell. If you know of anyone who may be missing this dog please pm me.
    The sooner we find his owners the better as he is starting to snap and attack our boxer who is afraid of her own shadow as it is:rolleyes: .
    I will try and upload a piccie soon aswell
    Any help would be appreciated:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Check the lost ads on Irishanimals and Petsireland, also post it to the found ads on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

ISPCA website has a lost and found section too.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭craggel

Here's a piccie of said doggie (hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hotlips_h

If you haven't already, also phone all the animal rescues and pounds in your area also to let them know that you have found a dog. You might put a notice in the local church and library also. The more "doggy" people who know the better. Also, did you get it to a vet to get it scanned for a chip? I managed to reunite a found dog with its owner last month as follows:

- I left a voice mail with Irish Animal Rescue who are based in my area in Dublin and who I got my own dog from a couple of years ago
    - Owner was meanwhile looking for his dog and gave his phone number to a woman he met out walking her own dog
    - Said woman happened to mention it later in the evening to her friend who worked for Animal Rescue
    - Animal Rescue woman said "I think I know where the dog is" and called me.

A happy ending.

Keep checking back with the Gardai as they don't seem to keep track of things very well. They might let you put that picture on a notice board in the station. The owner of the dog we found had called to the same Garda station where I had myself called in with the dog earlier in the day only to be told that they knew nothing about it. If I had put up a notice in the station, the owner would probably have seen it.

Also, if you can't keep the dog for very long, you might start asking the rescues if they will be able to home him in the near future. I had started doing that with the dog I found and it was pretty difficult. Ash in Wicklow would have been able to take him about 3 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

[LOST 11 SEP 06] DOG male mixed 5 years old medium. white mark on his chest black labrador cross dundalk area LostandFOund.ie contact: 086 8261517

I know its a distance, but could it be this dog? It sounds like exactly the same dog to be honest.

• Advertisement

hotlips_h wrote:
    If you haven't already, also phone all the animal rescues and pounds in your area also to let them know that you have found a dog. You might put a notice in the local church and library also. The more "doggy" people who know the better. Also, did you get it to a vet to get it scanned for a chip? I managed to reunite a found dog with its owner last month as follows:

And keep phoning. When I lost my dog, I called certain pounds and rescues every day for a week. Animal Rescue found the dog, and let same pounds and rescues know... Informations wasnt exchanged, I didnt know where exactly to look (The Irish Times didnt seem an obvious place to advertise found dogs). The only reason I found him is because I bumped into him when being walked by his fosterer (who then refused to give him back) nightmare....

I'll keep on the look out for lost ads too. Where approximately was he found?

He was found in Albert College Park, Ballymun, Santry, Glasnevin area.

Thanks for all the advice folks.
    I will bring down to the local vet today and get him scanned.

Did you call that number?

Here it is again

[LOST 11 SEP 06] DOG male mixed 5 years old medium. white mark on his chest black labrador cross dundalk area contact: 086 8261517

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Dundalk to Dublin, did it have a siamese cat and a bull terrier with it?

my dog was found in Ballymun, and I'm from Wicklow.

Its perfectly possible, and worth a try anyway.

very helpful post there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Wow, was it that dog? It could be you know, dogs have been known to alight trains... and then become very frightened and disorientated at the other end... any updates OP??

Chuchu wrote:
    Wow, was it that dog? It could be you know, dogs have been known to alight trains... and then become very frightened and disorientated at the other end... any updates OP??

Dont know yet. I too would like an update. Sometimes people pick up dogs and then dump or lose them again.

I tried that number but fortunately for them they found their dog last week.
    Unfortunately for us the dog has just bitten one of our kids who was stroking him at the time so the need to find him a home has just increased considerably!

craggel wrote:
    Unfortunately for us the dog has just bitten one of our kids who was stroking him at the time so the need to find him a home has just increased considerably!

Sorry to hear that.. Hope the kid wasnt hurt. I'm sure some of the more experienced rescue people will be able to give you some good advice as the situation doesnt sound ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Thats a shame, please consider contacting the much mentioned centres that have a no destruction policy (and NOT the pounds) that way the dog might eventually be reunited with its owner or find a new one. There are a good few listed in the sticky section of this forum, there is one on the northside not so well known:
    http://www.dogsaid.ie/
    Good luck.

fits wrote:
    Dont know yet. I too would like an update. Sometimes people pick up dogs and then dump or lose them again.

Hopefully Mr Fits you weren't suggesting that I may be one of those people. I can't keep everyone updated every five minutes as I actiually have a life aswell!!!

craggel wrote:
    Hopefully Mr Fits you weren't suggesting that I may be one of those people. I can't keep everyone updated every five minutes as I actiually have a life aswell!!!

Hey I was trying to help you! I wasnt suggesting you were anything of the sort!

Why did I bother??:mad:

And the dumping/losing comment was in response to lightening.

fits wrote:
    my dog was found in Ballymun, and I'm from Wicklow.

Its perfectly possible, and worth a try anyway.

very helpful post there

Just a gag, at least your dog was found. How did you manage to loose it anyway?

lightening wrote:
    How did you manage to lose it anyway?

By being an idiot. Friends were minding dog in Dublin, dog got out front door into crowds gathering for GAA match. Was picked up in Fairview by some guy who took dog to Ballymun to keep. Neighbours reported to Vet, Vet was going to pts but Animal Rescue stepped in and fostered him out to some fellow in Donnybrook. 10 days later after calling every pound and rescue in greater Dublin Area, checking websites and papers, we bump into dog being walked in UCD. Fosterer accuses us of being 'wrong sort of people', and refuses to give him back. Get him back after a week of struggle.

Said dog is now microchipped and wearing a proper identity tag (had had a screw on one when lost) which would have saved all that hassle in the first place.

We had rescued the dog six weeks earlier, so were novice owners at that time, but know all about it now!

Ah well, Wicklow to Ballymun, not exactly lassie come home is it? More like lassie be a homey. (no offence intended) At least it all worked out.

• Advertisement

fits wrote:
    Hey I was trying to help you! I wasnt suggesting you were anything of the sort!

Why did I bother??:mad:

And the dumping/losing comment was in response to lightening.

Like I said earlier thanks for all the help / suggestions. Sorry if I misread what you were saying as it wasn't obvious your comment was in response to lightening's earlier post. I was getting ready for a party for 22 kids for my 6 yr olds b/day and the dog just bit him so as you can guess nerves were a bit frayed. I'm a little more relaxed now thanks to a small input from Mr Heineken.
    Well the dog is still with us we have made several calls on his behalf to sanctuaries and the gardai and vets etc but to no avail. We may drive him out to Louth tomorrow to a shelter out there as they seem to be the only ones we have contacted who have space available.

Advertisement