Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted page - still being accessed

Options
  • 27-09-2006 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I had a page on my site which I have recently deleted.

I keep getting errors on my error log of attempts to access that page. I downloaded the whole public_html directory just to confirm that the name of the page was not in any links or mentioned on the source of any other pages on my site. It is definately not.

So now I know the attempts to access it is not local.

From what I can work out there could be only 2 possibilities.
    1. Some one/people saved a direct link to that page and are keep trying to access it (unlikely).
    2. Search engine bots, are constantly trying to find it as they found it in the past.

How do I get the bots not to look for that page? I have disallowed it in my robots.txt file, and it does not appear in my sitemap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

sounds like that deleted page is cached on someones machine.

to get to this page, what kind of link was it? (flash/text/graphic)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Page is a php page.

I used to have it (like boards do) with the variables after the .php in the form "name.php?var1=info&var2=something".

I read to improve my SEO it is better if I change the url so it looks like "www.mysite.com/name/info/something/".

So I sent up my server so it reads the url string "name" as a php file even though it does not have a php ending.

Then I deleted name.php, and have been recieving errors in my error log ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

well, put on a page that will:
    A: be redirected to the homepage
    B: or put a page with ads in there and a search founction

therefore, the page will be removed from the err404 logs...and you will be making profit/getting traffic

There's nothing that you can do if people have that page bookmared... the only other thing you can do is reinstate the page...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can you create a .htaccess file? If so, then you can create a permanent redirect.

I do not know for sure if a bot will index the new one instead, or continue hitting the original page and be redirected each time. I think it does return the required HTTP code (301) though.
    Redirect PERMANENT OLD.php NEW.php

Advertisement