Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanians promise to Sue if their workers can't work Here (UK)!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Three things enter my head. Firstly, it may be true, but it's the Daily Mail so who knows. I realise that it's not as though it's been reported in the xenophilic Telegraph but the Mail is hardly a beacon of light for balanced anything.

Secondly, they've threatened to take the UK to court, unless I've missed the "Ireland" entry (which isn't impossible, I've done it before), they haven't threatened to take "us" to court as "us" isn't part of the UK.

Thirdly, half-contradicting the last point, given that we're pretty much definitely just going to follow the same path as the UK, I doubt we'll be firmly in the firing line when it comes to cases being submitted to the ECHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

For someone supposed not to have any issue with immigrants you seem to have your pulse on the trigger as it where. You also appeared to have cut and pasted that from another forum I suspect as (a) The story makes no mention anyone sueing anyone and (b) it only relates to England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Secondly, they've threatened to take the UK to court, unless I've missed the "Ireland" entry (which isn't impossible, I've done it before), they haven't threatened to take "us" to court as "us" isn't part of the UK.
    Romania's former head negotiator with the EU, Leonard Orban, said: "Romania has the right to react on a reciprocal basis if any EU country limits Romanians' access on its labour market."
    Looks like he's threatening in Europe in general against following any possible British example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aslantheslayer

Hobbes wrote:
    For someone supposed not to have any issue with immigrants you seem to have your pulse on the trigger as it where. You also appeared to have cut and pasted that from another forum I suspect as (a) The story makes no mention anyone sueing anyone and (b) it only relates to England.

Cut and paste?

What do you think ive copied and pasted?

Anyway I dont have a issue, but that dosent stop me having a look at all the information available and sharing these with other people to get there views and ideas. I found this article and thought it amusing.

I actually think Romaina have a fair and valid reason to sue or otherwise. And I dont know why no other EU country didnt face the same actions with the previous 10 countried being prevented from working.

Anyway in relevance to Ireland this is the part of the report you must have missed.
    And Romania's former head negotiator with the EU, Leonard Orban, said: "Romania has the right to react on a reciprocal basis if any EU country limits Romanians' access on its labour market.

Now whiles this dosent directly threaten to sue Ireland, I beleive they are trying to say the same thing.

What I do find intreasting though is if the report is true why Romaina only mentions Britain by name when most EU countries are seeking to Bar these new workers from Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

doesn't this not totally go against what EU values are. Free movement of workers between the borders of the European Union. We benefited from this when we needed it, why can't other countries. I think more workers would benefit our economy to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Romania wouldn't be permitted into the EU if it promised to block the movement of citizens from other EU countries, that's a basic part of the whole European project.
    Also Romania cannot afford to refuse anyone to do business in their country; to block off all British companies would be economic suicide for a country already on life support.
    No other EU country can stop Romanian's coming inside their borders, not even the bigger players like France and Germany... and who are they going to take the UK to in a legal action? The European Court, which is part of the EU framework that permits countries to restrict work permits for 7 years after the assession of new countries??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Now whiles this dosent directly threaten to sue Ireland, I beleive they are trying to say the same thing.
    That line doesn't threaten to sue anybody at all. It just says "if we can't come freely and work in your country, you can't come freely and work in ours".

Which sounds fair enough to me. Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Britain should not count on Romania meekly accepting whatever Britain does and can expect a response in kind if Romanians faced discrimination in any way.
    I know this sounds REALLY strange for some of the Irish, but trust me, it's fair enough.
    Romania has the right to react on a reciprocal basis if any EU country limits Romanians' access on its labour market.
    Just common sense.
    The threat comes as Tony Blair was also warned he would face legal action if there was a limit put on Romanian and Bulgarians allowed to work in Britain.
    What threat? Who felt threatened?
    It is understood legal action would be launched on the grounds that the limits would run against anti-discrimination laws. The legal action would be taken in the European courts.
    Who understood this? The Daily reporter? On what basis?
    There are fears that the UK may be flooded with hundreds of thousands of workers from Romania and Bulgaria after the New Year, adding to the hundreds of thousands of Poles, Latvians, Slovakians and people from other former eastern bloc countries who have come since the EU opened its doors to ten new countries in 2004.
    My feeling is that the exodus was made of hundreds of thousands of Poles and few Latvians, Slovakians etc. Neither Romania, nor Bulgaria have similar un-employment problems as Poland so I think the "hundreds of thousands Romanians&Bulgarians" scenario is just crap.

At the end, I believe the article is mainly made up and has few things in common with the real world.

Anyway I dont have a issue, but that dosent stop me having a look at all the information available and sharing these with other people to get there views and ideas.
    Yes but looking for negative things only about an expanded EU makes you one-sided and contradicts your protest of "I dont have an issue"...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What do you think ive copied and pasted?

It was that your comments didn't sync up with the actual story. No one is sueing anyone.

Anyway I dont have a issue, but that dosent stop me having a look at all the information available

Yes but all your posts so far have been negative so far. For someone who doesn't care either way doesn't seem to be looking for information neutrally.
    What I do find intreasting though is if the report is true why Romaina only mentions Britain by name when most EU countries are seeking to Bar these new workers from Europe?

News to me. Only UK afaik are trying to block the new member states.

• Advertisement
Advertisement