Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silly dell laptop

• 27-09-2006 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

The Laptop

Windows XP PRO
    Version 2002
    Service pack 1

P3 697
    256Mb ram

The laptop is not mine, it is a friends, they have a Gprs/G3/Hspda data card running and connected to the Vodafone network , they want to hook it up to their desktop via the ethernet port, simple stuff, but no, the Dell wont play ball.

In device manager it states that the computer has 2 modems, one being the Data card and the other a "Lucent Win Modem" which the inspiron did not come with! device manager does not list a "Ethernet Controller" or "network Adaptor", its as if the ethernet port is not there. my friend tells me ther have never used the port before. i have uninstalled the LUCENT WIN MODEM and then searched for new hardware, windows then reinstalls the said modem.

Does anone have any idea as to what is going on? i just cant work it out, thanks in advance guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mizwizzy

well the lucent modem must be inside the laptop thats why it keeps finding it and installing it...it has nothing to do with the ethernet port

basically what ur lookin for here is a network card if u want to use the ethernet option... u must also have a network card on the desktop pc also in order to communicate with the laptop via cat5 or indeed wireless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

some of the old ibm thinkpads had an ethernet port on the casing, but no actual ethernet connection to the motherboard. maybe this is the case with your dell, and the lucent modem is in fact connected via the ethernet port? an rj-11 plug will plug into the ethernet rj-45 socket no probs.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yep, I remember having a dell with a ethernet port but no card. Sounds like the problem here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭godskitchen

When I put the service number into the dell site it tells me the Ethernet and modem are a combo card from 3com, it has the drivers and diagnostics for it and I downloaded them, did this yesterday, and the diagnostics say no such modem is connected to the PC, also been looking on the net for answers, as you do, found someone with the same problem with the same model and they never got to the bottom of it, im just going to buy a USB to Ethernet from ebay, save myself some time and stress!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

a lot of the ld dell laptops had a port but they came with a cover on them that people removed to reveal an rj45 port but there is no card installed in the mini pci slot what model is the laptop i think i have a card that will enable it here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

irlrobins wrote:
    Yep, I remember having a dell with a ethernet port but no card. Sounds like the problem here.
    Thats rather bizzare. How old was the laptop at the time? I can't imagine a new Dell having that problem, but anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭godskitchen

peterk19 wrote:
    a lot of the ld dell laptops had a port but they came with a cover on them that people removed to reveal an rj45 port but there is no card installed in the mini pci slot what model is the laptop i think i have a card that will enable it here

Its a Inspiron 2500.................yes it did have a cover on it...........i really dont like dell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Dell did definitly ship at least some 2500's with Ethernet ports, but no card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Plums

The 3com cards were combo (network and Modem) but if it is listed as a Lucent then that is modem only, someone may have changed it at some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can pick up a usb->Ethernet adaptor for about a tenner on ebay. I've one or two myself and they always come in handy at some stage or another. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

When I put the service number into the dell site it tells me the Ethernet and modem are a combo card from 3com, it has the drivers and diagnostics for it and I downloaded them, did this yesterday, and the diagnostics say no such modem is connected to the PC
    If I heard "ethernet/modem combo card from 3com" I'd tend to think "PC card ethernet/modem combo card from 3com". Did the machine originally come with a PC card? My inspiron (presumably vaguely around the same vintage, it's a p3-450) did, though the modem conveniently was a built-in Lucent winmodem, which your friend's also appears to have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could disable the modem in device manager.
    or control panel, modems
    or in internet settings , conections
    or go into the BIOS and see if it's listed there and disable it there.

tiny chance it could belong to the data card - but if you redetect HW with the data card out it will sort out that (nokia phones come up as modems)

Advertisement