Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess what I saw today ? .....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Nope , this one was just here on some kin of training I think < i heard about it on the news earlier on tonight . I am fairly sure that the new airbus hasn't started normal filghts yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

They are here to test the landing ability of the A380 at Shannon

The test was due to take place last week but Hurricane Gordon put a halt to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Is shannon still used as a training airport ? I remember when the concord used to be there on a fairly regular basis for training flights .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I KNOW!!! i was in school :(:(:( stupid school :mad: alot of shannon flights go over my house, if only that one had and i wasn't at school :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Is Shannon still used as a training airport ?

Virgin had an Airbus 340-600 in Shannon a few days ago for training ...... the 600 variant is a very very long aircraft :eek:

Shannon will be a designated diversion Airport for the 380 and it's important that it can handle it ok ..... it can certainly land and take off ok :)

Bank right Skipper ...... certainly no.2 ....

bet you the guys in the back of the A380 had a good view :D

DSCN7809.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

hobie, you legend! that picture is awesome. oh god, i cant wait to be a pilot! Where is that picture taken from? i dont really know any good plane spotting areas in shannon apart from ballysteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

WOWZA
    how the feck does that thing fly!? i mean, i know how it flies but jeez, its a big bloody plane :D

Where is that picture taken from? i dont really know any good plane spotting areas in shannon apart from ballysteen

Take the airport backroad down to Shannon Aeropspace ....... as soon as you turn off the road to enter the Aerospace complex you will see a small lane to the left ..... viewing area is a couple of hundred mtrs down the lane ..... you can see a complete view of the airport and Runway ....

this viewing area is provided and maintained by the Airport Authority so is legit ....

This is the official viewing area beside Shannon Aerospace ...... photo taken the day the A380 was coming in ..... you can see a small executive jet just about to line up for takeoff so you can see just how good the location is ....

DSCN7802.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

hobie wrote:
    Take the airport backroad down to Shannon Aeropspace .......
    ...follow this road and you will get to the honk bar. very nice pub!

...follow this road and you will get to the honk bar. very nice pub!

That's it ......

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kenfjt

Shannon is considered a low density populated area and there for perfect for training and emergency landings. Have also heard that NASA consider it a landing zone for shuttle, although there would have be a major prob to divert it to a civlian airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

hobie wrote:
    Virgin had an Airbus 340-600 in Shannon a few days ago for training ...... the 600 variant is a very very long aircraft :eek:

Shannon will be a designated diversion Airport for the 380 and it's important that it can handle it ok ..... it can certainly land and take off ok :)

Bank right Skipper ...... certainly no.2 ....

bet you the guys in the back of the A380 had a good view :D

DSCN7809.jpg

Great photo Hobie :D, If I was in the plane at that moment, I would have certainly have had a heart attack!

Advertisement