Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puzzle Tour Dublin?

Options
  • 27-09-2006 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I'm Romeo and I'm from The Netherlands.

Next month we will visit Dublin for a study trip with a students association. I was looking for something like a puzzle tour// photo tour// etcetera of Dublin. I can't find any... so I went looking for a text which guides us through the city, but I wasn't able to find that one either with Google.

So... could someone help me with a link please?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

There's a Dublin Bus tour which runs hourly (as far as I know) around the city.
    Heres a link Click

There's also things such as Dublinia, its all about the heritage of Dublin. Some links here and here

There's some good information on Dublin Tourist also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lampje

Thank you very much, but actually this is not what I was looking for. I know which sights there are and that there are bus-tours, but we want to discover Dublin by walking through the city (unguided), across the sights etcetera. It'd be nice to have such a walking-trip in the form of a puzzle, or, if that doesn't exist, just in the form of a route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't know of any in the form of a puzzle, perhaps you could make your own for your group?
    Google for sights and attractions in Dublin, get their location and draw up your own route would be the best way I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

The only thing I can find are companies who will organise it for you - eg http://www.discoverdublin.ie/treasurehunt/treasurehuntindex.htm

But maybe they would have some info on how to develop your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.walkingtours.ie/
    The featured walks are:

Walk 1: Georgian Dublin (Mondays & Fridays)

Visit an early 18th Century parliament legislature room still in its original condition, pass through the elegant squares of Trinity College before arriving to the splendours of Georgian squares, terraces and magnificent government institutions.

Walk 2: Viking & Medieval Dublin (Tuesdays & Sundays)

Unearth medieval remains and discover ancient towers, city walls and churches founded by Vikings and Normans. Many surprises await along the way.

Walk 3: Castle & Cathedral (Wednesdays and Saturdays)

Pass under the dome of one of Dublin's most splendid 18th century classical buildings before entering the courtyards of Dublin Castle and discovering its many secrets. The tour then weaves its way through a warren of streets before finally arriving at the famed St Patrick's Cathedral.

Down by the Riverside (Thursdays)

A remarkable tour through the centuries following the River Liffey as it leaves the former 17th century docklands until it arrives at the modern office and apartment quarter where commerce and living go hand-in-hand amid impressive 18th century engineering and 21st century architecture.

(Internal visits to Dublin Castle and the cathedrals or museums may be individually undertaken when the tour ends)
    The Dublin Literary Pub Crawl

Tickets: €11 (€9 Students)

Time: Summer (April-November) - 7.30pm (extra Sun tour at 12pm)

Winter (December - March) - Thurs to Sun (extra Sun tour at

12pm)

Tickets for the Dublin Literary Pub Crawl can be booked at Dublin Tourism, on Suffolk Street or bought at the Duke Pub @ 7pm.

The Dublin Literary Pub Crawl

Suffolk Chambers,

1 Suffolk Street,

Dublin 2.

Tel: + 353 (0) 1 6705602

Or there is the HQ Hot Press Music Hall of Fame

Situated just of O'Connell Street on Abbey Street, HQ is an interactive history of Irish rock music featuring multimedia presentations and offers a karoke video facility.

When you go int there you get given a map of all the hot press plauges about the city which tell you about the historical music spots that is a walkign trip you can do on your own.
    Blazing a trail round the streets of Dublin

Dublin is one of the most important music cities in the world. Visitors flock to the capital city from all over the world, as it has become the fashionable place to see and be seen in.

International models and movie stars alike love to visit Dublin. They adore the ambience, the unique atmosphere in the pubs and the café culture of Grafton Street.

Why not indulge yourself and hit the capital for a weekend?While you’re there, take in some rock and roll on the new famous Rock ‘n’ Stroll Trail.

With the success of bands like U2, The Corrs, Boyzone, and Westlife, and the enduring worldwide popularity of performers like Sinead O’Connor, Bob Geldof, Chris De Burgh, The Chieftains and The Dubliners, Ireland’s capital on the East coast is well and truly on the map.

Dublin now proudly boasts the Rock n’ Stroll Trail in recognition of the city's musical sons and daughters.

The trail will take you to the sites in Dublin which are of great importance to Ireland’s most renowned musicians. Have a pint on the way and enjoy the greatest rock trail in Europe.

Visit the famous U2 wall where the group recorded many of their million-selling albums. Stroll on to the Gaiety Theatre where Christy Moore had many record-breaking performances, and finish the trail at the Hot Press Music Hall of Fame which features hundreds of items of memorabilia from Ireland’s biggest stars.

The trail consists of 22 plaques erected at a site that was significant in the development of their musical careers.

New bands are springing up all the time, and as they do further plaques will be added.

So take some time and rock and stroll around Dublin - you never know who you might meet...

• The Hothouse Flowers
    Tobins, now called The Duke, is where the band used to exchange money made from busking for pints of Guinness!

• Bob Geldof (Boomtown Rats)
    The Boomtown Rats met regularly at Bewley’s of Grafton Street. And this is where Bob wrote Rat Trap.

• Dave Fanning
    DJ Dave Fanning performed weekly at the site formerly known as McGonagles in the late 70’s - the main venue for all major punk and new wave acts.

• The Corrs
    The Corrs played one of their first live indoor Dublin gigs at HMV Grafton Street.

• The Furey Brothers
    The Furey Brothers and Davy Arthur busked regularly outside HMV on Grafton Street during the early days of their career.

• Chris De Burgh
    Captain Americas was the venue where Chris De Burgh began his career as a solo entertainer for diners after he left Trinity College.

• Christy Moore
    One of Ireland’s leading artists, Christy Moore had many memorable record-breaking performances at the Gaiety Theatre.

• The Dubliners
    The Dubliners were formed around 1962 in the back bar of O’Donoghue’s.

• Moving Hearts
    Upstairs in Baggot Inn the Hearts wrote, arranged and rehearsed their music. Downstairs, they gigged it.

• Mary Black
    The Olympia, a fine old theatre, with great atmosphere, is Mary Black’s favourite place to perform.

• The Cranberries
    The Cranberries played their first Dublin gig at this site, formerly the Rock Garden.

• Sinead O’Connor
    The Bad Ass Café is where Sinead O’Connor worked during her early days in the Dublin Rock scene.

• Phil Lynott
    Phil Lynott made one of his most famous videos, Old Town on the famous Ha’penny Bridge in Dublin.

• Paul Brady
    Paul Brady began his career as a regular performer at Slattery’s.

• Boyzone
    Boyzone became Ireland’s first boy band to break it internationally. Before fame got them kicking their heels up, their front man, Ronan Keating, worked as an assistant in Korky’s shoe shop. Hot Press Irish Music Hall of Fame Founded in 1977, Hot Press is the bible of music and youth culture in Ireland. The Irish Music Hall of Fame was established by Hot Press in 1999.

• Westlife
    The Red Box was the venue where chart-topping boy band Westlife held some of their very first rehearsals.

• The Chieftans.
    St Catherine’s Church was where The Chieftans played their first live gig.

or there is the option to download an iwalk
    http://trade.visitdublin.com/trade/detail/default.asp?ID=262

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There is a very comprehensive illustrated map available for free in all the tourist info offices, this makes it easy to get around the city unguided. It has all the major and some of the quirky Dublin spots clearly marked.

Advertisement