Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting Delay (mini whine)

Options
  • 27-09-2006 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

Boards wrote:
    This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 82 seconds.

What the hell? It used to be, what? 20 seconds? We now have to wait two minutes between postings? I don't know about anyone else but my browsing/posting style means that that is going to be very very annoying. Like right now, I'm gonna be sitting here about another minute and a half before it'll let me post this.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Zillah wrote:
    What the hell? It used to be, what? 20 seconds? We now have to wait two minutes between postings? I don't know about anyone else but my browsing/posting style means that that is going to be very very annoying. Like right now, I'm gonna be sitting here about another minute and a half before it'll let me post this.
    I'd imagine it's on to test how much load drops on the server, seeing as it could be getting flooded with requests.
    If the flooding time is made higher, less requests will have to be processed in a certain amount of time.

The admins may lower it in time to a considerable time while gaining performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I don't know about anyone else but my browsing/posting style means that that is going to be very very annoying.
    I don't know... I can't see it having an impact on my "browsing style" as it's a constraint on posting only. And by "posting" you mean spamming, right?

How often have you seen this? How long has it been like this?

Like right now, I'm gonna be sitting here about another minute and a half before it'll let me post this.
    It was worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Karoma wrote:
    I don't know... I can't see it having an impact on my "browsing style" as it's a constraint on posting only. And by "posting" you mean spamming, right?

No. Ignorance is bliss apparently. I tend to read many threads at once/back and forth, in tabs in firefox. My responses are generally done in a batch, one after the other. The majority of posts take a lot less than 2 mins so it works out as very annoying.
    How often have you seen this? How long has it been like this?

Just today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It was set up that way to stop spam bots.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Zillah wrote:
    Just today.
    In fairness, why create a thread so soon? You should know by now that the admin's are making some changes to speed things up / test causes of the slowdown. Give it a chance and see if it's of benefit - even if you have to change your style. And that is an if - as the change may only be temporary for all you know.

(Please take my replies in the spirit with which they are intended; I'm just getting tired of so many knee-jerk thread creations.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i was wondering what this was about - unfortunately i do the same post style as zillah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

It used to be 30 seconds, if you could make a tiny adjustment to your posting method, it must take over 120 seconds to write even a short reply, perhaps submitting the last post before you start the next would help relieve some of the frustation you are experiencing.

Its important that we test some of these features, they will be reset to their previous settings after a couple of days, in the main most users do not notice the little changes. Bear with us on this, its for the greater good and not an attempt to annoy.

Thanks for the feedback, I did not think that anyone would notice the 120 second gap except for spammers, smilies and lol'ers.

Anyone else affected by the increase in posting time? (who does not fit one of the above 3), please let us know here.

Thanks

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I was going to start a feedback to ask about it last night at about 23.10 but saw Zillah already had. I sometimes post in bursts (due to time restraints in work) but tbh its worth putting up with if its for the good of the boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The delay doesn't bother me, so no issues from me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I sometimes keep an eye on a couple of threads and then post of replies into a bunch of them in quick succession, particularly so on help-desk threads. The 20 sec delay has caught me a few times doing this, so 120secs is certainly going to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It affects me, but I'm pretty spammy spam spam. Caught in TCN all the time with the 20 second old one. I reply to subscibed threads all at once and like to type them quite fast as I have to get to class.
    I don't really mind it, I just leave the reply sitting there until the time has elapsed and do my programming assignments....
    /waits for 90 seconds.

Its the curse of tabbed browsing to be honest. lots of pages open and lots of replies to be made :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Reduced to 30 seconds.

V.

we love you vexorg ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Vexorg is the bad to the bone '666' admin with a heart of gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Vexorg wrote:
    Reduced to 30 seconds.

V.

Whee! And I was about to post that its not a big deal and that I'd just adapt. Go Vexorg!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm not even going to pretend that I know anything about problems with the server or anything technical like that, but would tabbed browsing make a difference? Say there's 100 people actively browsing boards, and each person has 4 tabs open, each with a different thread open. Would that be the equivilent of 400 people browsing just one thread each on boards?

I find that when I have more than one thread open, it slows both threads down a fair bit.

Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Faith wrote:
    Say there's 100 people actively browsing boards, and each person has 4 tabs open, each with a different thread open. Would that be the equivilent of 400 people browsing just one thread each on boards?
    Yeah, I think so, but only for the duration that you are actually opening (downloading) each thread.
    I find that when I have more than one thread open, it slows both threads down a fair bit.
    That's due to your internet connection. If you have one thread that you are opening your connection may seem fast, but open 10 threads and all the threads will take a while to open, this is mainly due to your internet connection not managing to suck all the info off the boards server within its maximum speed possible. Although the very fact that you are opening many threads at the same time will be detrimental to boardswide server service also, I'm not sure how much though.

Advertisement