Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a teacher or lecturer?? If so, Introduce yourself here!

• 27-09-2006 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I'd like to see how many teachers and lecturers we actually have on boards so this is just a little introduce yourself section so we can all maybe swap ideas etc.

I'll start the ball rolling..

Trainee primary teacher with 3 years of secondary experience. I've an honours degree in computing.

Next!!

ps.. Please only post here if you are actually teaching or lecturing now, or were a teacher/lecturer etc in the past.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Teaching with City of Dublin VEC - in 23rd year.
    Teaching ESS, History and sometimes Geography to Junior Cert..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

I'm a primary teacher, went to Mary I, in the "6-10 years" teaching experience bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Primary teacher in Dublin. As for experience; I currently have 4 children in my class whose mothers I taught :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Lecturer in computing, with bits of other subjects thrown in. Three years experience.

Just starting a new job in an institute institute of technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jess11

I am a primary teacher with 32 years experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Ex-lecturer, now teaching Secondary (English and RE) in the UK. I qualified last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

secondary school teacher,metalwork,engineering & tech graphics
    2 yrs outta UL,.....2 years teaching experience!!
    Roll on June July & August!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

Full time secondary school teacher of business and computing, as well as part time lecturer of MIS and BIS subjects,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oops, I forgot...one day a week I deliver teacher inservice around the country for Junior Cert. ESS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Ok, I know that this is defying Trotters' first post (current or past teachers only in this thread) But screw it, here I am.

I'm a 2nd year Science Ed student in DCU, and in 3 or so weeks, I'll be off teaching in a secondary school :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

sunnyjim wrote:
    Ok, I know that this is defying Trotters' first post (current or past teachers only in this thread) But screw it, here I am.

I'm a 2nd year Science Ed student in DCU, and in 3 or so weeks, I'll be off teaching in a secondary school :eek:

Close enough for me.. Welcome aboard! What way does your course work? Will you be qualified to teach at the end of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Can I aboard too?:)

2nd year B.Ed student in Mary I.

Have infant TP after christmas for 2weeks.
    Had 2nd class for my middle class TP last Feb.

All the lesson plans:eek:..tiring stuff..

Yeah students on TP can play too :D

Trotter wrote:
    Close enough for me.. Welcome aboard! What way does your course work? Will you be qualified to teach at the end of it?

Thank you!

Well, my course is pretty good. First year is the same as every other science degree, except that we do 2 microteaching modules and 1 on 'positive discipline'. Then for the 2 years after we focus mainly on education (microteaching, IT, etc), physics and chemistry, with TP for 2 weeks in 2nd year and for 3 months in 3rd year. Then in 4th year, you pick what you want to major in (Chem or Phys) and do projects based on them, as well as another month or so of TP.

Roll on TP. Cant wait :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lucille

hi there,
    i'm a 3rd year b.ed (engl/german) student.
    i think my post doesn't really fit in here, but i just wanted to ask if somebody could find the time to tell me a bit about the educational system/ teaching career in ireland. any help is really appreciated!

lucille wrote:
    hi there,
    i'm a 3rd year b.ed (engl/german) student.
    i think my post doesn't really fit in here, but i just wanted to ask if somebody could find the time to tell me a bit about the educational system/ teaching career in ireland. any help is really appreciated!

Lucille you are welcome to start your own thread with the above question so that more people will see it. This thread is for introductions only thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wannabeteacher

As my title states I'm not yet a qualified teacher but am preparing for the post-grad in Pats and am subbing all the time! Hope this gets me in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ruth cannon

I teach/lecture (lecturing is teaching in my view) in law in the Department of Legal Studies, DIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

I am a teacher qualified although long time not practicing. B. A. Mary I. 2000, Higher Diploma in Education N.U.I. Galway 2001! Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emailsusans

Hi all

I have been TEFL teaching in Ireland and Spain for the past 5 years, with both adults and children, and I came back in December for the interview for the Postgrad for Primary Teaching in St Pats.

Just got the letter the other morning telling me I had passed the interview but failed the Irish :mad:

So now I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do. My Irish isn't up to the standards needed for the lectures, so I think I might just spend the year bringing it up to the level, and apply again in November.

I know I could go back into TEFL teaching, but I would really like to get some experience in national schools.

Any ideas on how to go about looking for subbing (apart from physically dropping my CV into schools as I plan on doing starting Monday!). Is there some sort of website where you register your details ??

Anyway, I know I am not alone with the disappointing news from St Pats (really, there should be more places, as this country is crying out for primary teachers :mad: )

PM Sent with subbing info. Im going to keep this thread for introductions only. Feel free to start a new thread with Questions. Mod :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

Hey there

maths and science teacher in Dublin

Welcome Paddyc. I've been reading quite a few of your posts in the SD/MA forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭energy69

I being teaching for the last 10 years. I originally began in Internet, Web Design and Marketing training. Since then I teach a wide array of IT skills and in the last four years I have focused on multimedia. I now teach digital photography, video and radio production skills. I love education and I hope to be involved in it for the rest of my days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 folk_smith

Composition and Literature at a small 2-year college in the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Hi there.
    I am a University lecturer in Computing and have worked in Universities (both teaching and non-teaching roles) for 12 years.
    Long time Lurker, first time posted to boards.ie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 duine daonna

Doing my PhD in philosophy. I'm lecturing for the second semester now. A newbie in teaching and on boards.ie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Parklife

Hi All

PP teacher of Business and Maths currently out of the classroom. Also back studying for a masters and on the home strech.

Looking forward to the discussions.

Parklife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Hi all,

Part Time lecturer in ICT in Limerick and teaching Art at secondary level, doing both for 6 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ger4

This is just a test.....of whether a) my reply will (FINALLY!!) be acccepted, and b) of whether the thread is still active or not (considering the date of the original thread, I'm opting for the latter!) Oh, by the way, I am actually a teacher-primary-of many, many, MANY years experience. :eek: (I'm sure you've got the message by now!) Actually, that's what happens when you teach for a lengthy period of time.....you tend to repeat/reiterate,regurgitate at a frightening rate! Cheers! G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭energy69

Hi all,

A multimedia teacher that works on contract all over the place. Kind prefer something a bit more consistent at this stage. 12 years on the go and I'm still young and still love it as much as the day I began.

Sam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carebare

Hi, primary teacher in my fifth year teaching.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 zomambik

Hi everybody! I taught English as a foreign language to aduls for 3.5 years in Poland for private schools. I am in Ireland now looking to qualify to do the same in Dublin. Does anybody know how things are in this matter for non-native speakers here?

Mod Edit.. This thread is for introductions only.. please post questions on a separate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bigtree

Hey,
    Entering the big bad world of lecturing in Sep (part time Marketing). Hopefully it will prove to be the career move I am looking for. Any words of wisdom out there?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

Part-Time Tutor in Adult Basic Education/Literacy with South Tipp and Waterford City VEC. I also do some lecturing on WIT/NALA Literacy Development Programme. Only advice I'd give is be prepared and ultimately be yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Aido c

Actually I think my correct title is Assistant Lecturer, although we so all the same stuff as lecturers anyway...

And I would concur with Ruth - it is teaching, the IT's still try to teach.

My speciality (Liberal use of the word) is Construction Cost Estimating.

I have only just started and am delighted to say that its going to take me at least all of my career to figure out how to do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Orange

I'll be a trainee music teacher in two weeks! God help the kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Just came across this ! Was a computer applications / business managment teacher for about seven years, Ctiy and Guilds, NCVA, IATA, and ECDL, am thinking of getting back into it again !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tgirl

Second level teacher for seven years in secondary school Dublin, moved to the sticks three years ago and have been teaching in a PLC college since. Must say VEC much easier to work for than secondary school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I'm doing my PGDE this year. I had a year's teaching experience beforehand and teach English, CSPE and Religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 relax

I am a Lecturer in the midwest in hospitality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dkelly83

Hi all,

I'm currently doing the PGCE Primary in Liverpool. Starting my first block experience for 4 weeks in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Former sec. sch. maths teacher. Have done odd bit of college lecturing. Mainly working in other areas now, but still have a passing interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 patrickwall

I'm an Information Systems and Economic Policy lecturer at UCC and also do some adult ed teaching with the VEC along with tuition for WIT. My main areas of interest other than information systems and economics include strategic management, accounting and computer science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Lecturing in an I.T. for the last 3 years subjects keep changing every year but some of them include human anatomy & physiology, exercise physiology, student supervision, fitness training, manual therapies.....

I've also taught in private college, anatomy & physiology, sport massage & gym instruction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I'm currently working as a computer programmer. But when doing my MSc. I managed to get a couple of years part-time lecturing experience and I loved it. I taught Java, Advanced Internet Applications and Quality Implementation and Testing. I had to work on the course syllabus, conduct continuous assessment and set / correct the final exams. It was great experience and my students enjoyed lectures and worked well, which really made me feel happy at my job.

I'm currently working in the industry to gain some much needed "real world" experience in the IT industry, but ultimately I hope to get back lecturing as soon as a contract is available. If you know of any positions, let me know. Normal job holidays (20 days per year, which really boils down to a couple of weeks with christmas/days-here-and-there) and the "groundhog day" effect are a killer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Former Secondary School Teacher of RE, LCVP, History and CSPE. Taught through Irish. Currently in a training role in my present job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Hey folks,

Long time reader here, just signed up this evening. Am a qualified primary school teacher, 4 years "out" can hardly believe it. I guess time really does fly when you're enjoying yourself :p

Hey folks,

Long time reader here, just signed up this evening. Am a qualified primary school teacher, 4 years "out" can hardly believe it. I guess time really does fly when you're enjoying yourself :p

All primary teaching experts most welcome.. It saves me pretending I know what I'm talking about :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I can't claim to be an "expert" trotter ;)

I can't claim to be an "expert" trotter ;)

God don't be saying that.. you're a primary teacher! We know everything!! :D

(Well I'm only permanent 4 months.. I only know most things. I'll have it all sorted by... February! :D)

Welcome anyway.. all experience can and will be called upon :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement