Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT's standard modem

• 27-09-2006 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Can someone tell me what the standard modem is that BT send out to you?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Zyxel 660 RU-T1, ADSL2+, USB and Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Cool, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

stanley1 wrote:
    Zyxel 660 RU-T1, ADSL2+, USB and Ethernet.
    When did you get that modem? Recent posts have suggested that BT no longer send that modem out, and are only sending a USB modem out any more.

I'd like to get confirmation from anyone who has signed up with BT in the last 2 months of what modem they received, or if they got a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Recieved the said modem in the last week, it can act as a gateway too

djmarkus wrote:
    Recieved the said modem in the last week, it can act as a gateway too
    Great - did you get that "free" or did you have to pay for it? I was concerned to read that some people reported only getting a USB "modem".

Not sure what you mean by "act as a gateway too" - DSL modems are often labelled "DSL Gateway" or "DSL Gateway router".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

i dont think we had to put any special request in for it or anything, and by gateway i mean router, but it needs a switch to actually serve more than one computer

djmarkus wrote:
    i dont think we had to put any special request in for it or anything, and by gateway i mean router, but it needs a switch to actually serve more than one computer
    As far as I know, you can actually have one machine connected to the USB port, and one to the ethernet port.

The important thing is that the P-660 provides full NAT support, so you can add as many machines as you like behind it, once you add a switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Foxwood wrote:
    Great - did you get that "free" or did you have to pay for it? I was concerned to read that some people reported only getting a USB "modem".

Not sure what you mean by "act as a gateway too" - DSL modems are often labelled "DSL Gateway" or "DSL Gateway router".
    Eircom are the only ones sending out USB only modems (Netopia Pocket Modem) and only to BB Time customers. Having said that, I set up Eircom BB for 4 people in the last week and they all received old, second hand Netopia Cayman 3300 USB/Ethernet modems. 2 of them were BB Time customers and the modems were still set to "Always On" from the previous users.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Jesus, I'd be mightily pissed if they send out a USB only modem.

Advertisement