Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North-West Newspapers, are they any longer relevant ?.

Options
  • 27-09-2006 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Over the past few years, I have become increasingly concerned about the independence of our Local Press.

It seems that our journalists have become nothing more than pawns in a media war.

The Donegal Democrat, The Derry Journal, The People's Press etc were to a large degree independent and competitive. Now it appears they are all part of the 'Derry Journal Group' which has also become AFAIK a small part of the 'Richard Murdoch' worldwide media empire.

Hence the appearance of 'The Letterkenny Post' which is free and run mainly by ex-Democrat employee's, 'The Donegal Post' (Not Free) and 'Donegal on Sunday' .

I would like to know 'What the hell is going on' , as I have now given up buying 'Local Newsapers'with one exception:- The Donegal News' which used to be called 'The Derry People & Donegal News'

Is this never ending circle of new titles in the best interests of our local North West readers, or would we not be better off resorting back to the days when the only weekly local paper in my home was 'The People's Press' as it was our ' Finn Valley' local paper.

Which paper do you buy, or are you as confused as me,resorting to 'online editions' and refusing to buy title's that turn out to be poor replica's of already published newspapers :confused:

P. :cool:

I know that some local N.W. Journalists 'Keep any eye' on this forum. It would be enlightening to have an honest view from them, even anonymously which is one of the advantages of having a North-West
    forum ?..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy

I buy the Democrat and People's Press every week without fail and will continue to do so. They are relevant in that they are local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

smashey wrote:
    Paddy

I buy the Democrat and People's Press every week without fail and will continue to do so. They are relevant in that they are local.

Yes smashey,

I understand , but it is a proven fact that reading newspapers, particularly in rural communities is a family 'way of life' .

That I now personnally believe has lost it's identity and distincton as more powerful business has taken over, and it is shame that local issues are now being blocked by strictly commercial interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You forgot to mention that gem of a paper - The Finn Valley Voice

muffler wrote:
    You forgot to mention that gem of a paper - The Finn Valley Voice

Heh,heh, You cannot be serious, I only mention real newspapers :D .

Not so many years back there were no local radio stations or internet available so people did rely a lot on local and regional papers to keep up to date with local issues. The national media never seemed too kind to the North West as they only seemed interested in reporting negative issues especially during the troubles.

Telephones were also a luxury for a long time and therefore you have to say that reading the local papers was a very regular way of life for people living in the urban and rural areas.

Times have moved on and with all the modern technology the local papers are not near as important as they were. They have now been taken over by the advertisers. But some of the advertisements/notices are very important especially the Council notices of road works/closures, ESB announcements, planning notices etc.

In summary I feel that local papers will always be relevant to the areas where we reside, maybe not on the same scale as yesteryear

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:

In summary I feel that local papers will always be relevant to the areas where we reside, maybe not on the same scale as yesteryear

I accept your point of view, but are we not entitled to non -capitalist/advertisement biased local newspapers, as of right in the true interest of democratic open and honest public opinion on local issues that really matter to ordinary citizens ?..Without journalists clearly living in fear of printing the truth , because of their publications owners profit incentives ?..

In my lifetime, it has become clear that journalistic integrity and honest reporting, takes precedence over advertisements in all reputable publications.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

In Sligo the Weekender went from being free and out on a Friday to costing €1.50 and out on a Tuesday. It's full of adverts and property and pull out supplements with more advertising. My biggest complaint though, is the thrashy tabloid style reporting it now hawkes around as journalism. The Champion has kept it's more serious style, but it seems to report with a definate political slant in favour of the bigger parties, especially Fianna Fail (big surprise). I read them less and less as they report the wrong issues alot of the time, and I find it harder to believe them.

Paddy20 wrote:
    I accept your point of view, but are we not entitled to non -capitalist/advertisement biased local newspapers, as of right in the true interest of democratic open and honest public opinion on local issues that really matter to ordinary citizens ?..Without journalists clearly living in fear of printing the truth , because of their publications owners profit incentives ?..

In my lifetime, it has become clear that journalistic integrity and honest reporting, takes precedence over advertisements in all reputable publications.

Paddy,

In order for them to survive, they have to embrace capitalism/advertisements. Like it or not, that is the way of the world. The journalists from the Democrat/People's Press certainly have no problem in highlighting relevant local issues without fear of retribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Saturday mornings in Glasgow would'nt be the same without the Donegal News, my parents and parents in law pour over it, you know the type of the thing see who's dead and who's not. I don't think they buy it for it's earth shattering news story's but it is good for local notes and let's them catch up without phoning relatives to find out what's going on at home. Is the Finn Valley newpaper linked to the Donegal News and is it the same kind of newspaper?..

Madam wrote:
    Is the Finn Valley newpaper linked to the Donegal News and is it the same kind of newspaper?..
    The Finn Valley Voice is an independent paper and has its reader base like its title in the Finn Valley area - Glenfin, Cloghan, Ballybofey & Stranorlar, Convoy, Raphoe, Lifford, Castlefinn, Killygordon are all areas where it would be popular. There is not normally too much to read in it but then again you always think that you're missing something if you dont buy it.

I know they have a service for posting the papers to other places for a set fee. if you need to contact them I have a phone no. and email adddress somewhere. PM me if you want the details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

il gatto wrote:
    In Sligo the Weekender went from being free and out on a Friday to costing €1.50 and out on a Tuesday. It's full of adverts and property and pull out supplements with more advertising. My biggest complaint though, is the thrashy tabloid style reporting it now hawkes around as journalism. The Champion has kept it's more serious style, but it seems to report with a definate political slant in favour of the bigger parties, especially Fianna Fail (big surprise). I read them less and less as they report the wrong issues alot of the time, and I find it harder to believe them.

Yeah I would agree with you il gatto.
    'The Weekender' is a rag, for example, do you remember Hilda Kennedy's column a few weeks ago which contained her ramblings about homosexuals, it was thinly disguised homophobia :mad: At least they printed some letters from people giving out about it in the following week's edition. I think her column is patronising drivel. I mean who the hell cares if she stumbles upon a diary she had years ago and it made her cry?! :rolleyes:
    'McHughs Views' isn't much better.
    The paper is full of ads though, the entertainment section is nothing but ads. I remeber when Robert Cullen had loads of reviews about stuff, now theres none really.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I get the Letterkenny Post usually, primarily as it's free. When Donegal Post launched I bought a few, though not worth paying for IMHO.

I've had the Letterkenny People rammed through my door at irregular intervals, and the less said about that rag the better (I think Derry Journal crowd is behind it).

The only Democrat I buy is the Thursday edition, despite it being a pain to read, due to it's massive page size and no centre page! :) I must admit I haven't bought one in over a month now though.

smashey wrote:
    Paddy,

In order for them to survive, they have to embrace capitalism/advertisements. Like it or not, that is the way of the world. The journalists from the Democrat/People's Press certainly have no problem in highlighting relevant local issues without fear of retribution.

So you believe that some of The Democrats most professional journalists set up the 'FREE' Letterkenny Post' because they felt that their stories were being printed as they would have wished. I do not think so.

As for adveritising revenue, we all know it is vital for the survival of the print media, but it is a two edged sword, they need each other.

This should not mean that certain companie's can influence 'Editorial content'

Paddy20 wrote:
    So you believe that some of The Democrats most professional journalists set up the 'FREE' Letterkenny Post' because they felt that their stories were being printed as they would have wished. I do not think so.
    I think you need to look at that statement again Paddy. Smashey said nothing about the Democrats journalists setting up the Letterkenny Post

smashey wrote:
    Paddy,

The journalists from the Democrat/People's Press certainly have no problem in highlighting relevant local issues without fear of retribution.

muffler,

If you think journalists set up new publications which compete with their ex-employers simply because they might feel they are 'Businessmen' . Then I once again must state that I disagree with your opinion. Two Donegal Democrat journalists set up the excellent FREE 'Letterkenny Post'. Take a look at who writes their stories ?..

Paddy, I can see you taking a step backways again. I know you dont want to go there and I dont want you going down that road again either

You attributed a comment to smashey when he said nothing like it.

Now you have accused me of having a certain viewpoint about journalists when I give you no reason to do so. What I am asking you to do here now Paddy is go back and read through the posts again and refrain from making statements about other peoples non existant comments and views.

Its time to steady the reigns

muffler,

I hereby retract any statements by me that may have offended anyone.Are you now a happy bunny ?.. or am I once -again - going to be 'Banned' into the wilderness.

Paddy,

You are missing one very important thing when it comes to journalists setting up their own titles.

EGO.

Nothing to do with the editorial line of their previous paper, they just want to be in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Paddy20 wrote:
    'The Derry People & Donegal News'
    Well it did have my all time favourite advert - "small navy car for sale - apply PO box **** " :D priceless!

smashey wrote:
    Paddy,

You are missing one very important thing when it comes to journalists setting up their own titles.

EGO.

Nothing to do with the editorial line of their previous paper, they just want to be in control.

EGO is natural, as is ambition, morals and a sense of public duty to publish the truth. Therfore, I encourage enterprise which requires real commitment and risk, particularly amongst those in the world of journalism and all other media which IMHO has been dominated for too long by a privileged few.

In the interest of joe public, new publications are to be welcomed even though inevitably they will be more than likely be swallowed up and stymied by the existing conglomerates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

www.donegaldemocrat.com
    www.donegalnews.com
    www.letterkennypost.com
    any free papers that come through my letterbox
    northwest forum

all my local news needs are met and im not paying a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

speaking as someone who does not live in his local area anymore, local newspapers are needed for us to keep up.
    I am not saying that i live in the depths of peru or anything like that but i dont get home as much as i used to and you miss out on alot of things. Things which are important to our local areas may not be of national issue.

People have stated that some local rags have a particular sway to business/politics, unfortunately that is the world we live in, there is not so much a source of freedom of speech but more of a slant of FF/FG/SF etc pay the bills but FF will pay more or take bigger advertising.

When it comes to the whole monopoly of papers seeming to sing to the same agenda unfortunatly that is life and the people who bring out their own free paper have set an agenda to involve the local public with their issues, but remember that will all change when they decide to go bigger and start charging for the service, sligo weekender is a particular case in point, it used to be something to read, but now its something to start a fire with.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'll throw in www.donegaltimes.com for news from Donegal Town and environs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I have to admit that I have noticed a subtle change in the stories being carried in the democrat recently and also in the new donegal post. well actually i think that the democrat may be slightly swaying since the introduction of the donegal post a few months ago. one story that springs to mind was the headline story a few weeks ago regarding a transexual from ballyshannon now living and working in the political arena in Derry.

Dont get me wrong, I have absolutely no objections to the persons lifestyle but I question how the story merits the main headline in the largest selling local newspaper in the county.

On first seeing the headline I remember thinking it was the first time I had seen anything like 'an attention grabber' or 'shock' headline being used to sell the democrat. It reminded me of the headline stories in the 'tabloids' which when it says continued on page 5 mean the repeat the same as on the front page and add 5 lines and thats it.

Are the local press turning to shock or morbid curiousity to sell there titles now when in the past it was the quality that ensured a sale.

** hold on ** did i just say 'quality'... that does not include their grammar and spelling errors (leaving my own typos on this message open to assasination) The Donegal post had a report of 2 assults last week which took place on the 21st and 22nd of October 2006... Now if that is true then THAT IS A WORLD FIRST AND VERRRRRRY GOOD JOURNALISM !!! Yeah a psyic donegal paper !!

Advertisement