Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acupuncturist in Galway

Options
  • 27-09-2006 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Can anybody recommend an acupuncturist in Galway? Has anybody anywhere had acupuncture for neck/shoulder pain and how has it gone? I have had physiotherapy for months, visited 3 doctors, a rheumatologist and recently had an MRI scan that came back normal apart from some cervical disc degeneration and slight bulging. It seems there is nothing 'structurally' wrong with me but I suffer terrible tightness, burning, pain, cracking, poping in the neck, shoulder and shoulder blade areas. It's worse when sitting for any length of time like when driving, at the cinema, sitting at my desk. I sometimes get a numb pain down my arm and up into my jaw and back of my head. Only one side is affected. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Carol Fahy in Menlo (761487) was the last person to stick needles in my head. She has all the certs and has studied Chinese medicine.

My advice is to keep trying things - yoga, shiatsu, acupuncture and chiropractic are worth a bash. I'd also consider an ergonomic assessment of your workplace and changing your driving position by putting a rolled towel behind your neck, but I'm just a weirdo on the internet and you should only consult trained professionals.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yellowellie

Thanks Interceptor. It's not good to be told there's nothing wrong with you when you're in pain, I will keep trying until I find something that works. I hope you're not too weird! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

I go to a really good acupuncture. For years i had chronic pain and was told i was fine, i just needed a hoilday. I found they really helped. The girls in there are really nice too. Its the clinic of wholistic medicine 34 upper Abbeygate street Galway. 091 567416. Its just past Cps up over the print shop.
    I hope this helps and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Thanks Interceptor. It's not good to be told there's nothing wrong with you when you're in pain, I will keep trying until I find something that works. I hope you're not too weird! :-)

Your not the only one , theres plenty more of us out there too.Thats the problem with Western Medicine , if it doesnt show up on a scan then theres nothing wrong with you, and your pain should ease in time, heres a few tablets off with ya (ie. Its psychological ).........bullsh1te!
    Accupuncture is certainly worth a go, it cant make you any worse.As you've said you've gone down the conventional medicine route with no success so you may aswell try something alternative.Carol Fahy and The Wholistic Medicine Clinic as previously mentioned are both very good with the later bing a bit more expensive but is more a holistic approach to your problem than just pain killing alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's a year later but i wonder has anyone anything to add to this? I'm thinking of trying acupuncture for chronic lower back & hip pain.

Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Ok, well for what its worth il give my opinion.My view has totally changed on what i posted above this time last year.Personally and speaking(So no need for people to flame) from my own experience with chronic back pain i think its a load of bull and not worth it.The alternative medicine industry thrives on people in very desperate situations promising relief from this and that with no real positive outcome but a nice hole burned in your wallet.I've been there and tried it all,spent thousands over years and would never go down that route again.
    But,and this is going to sound like im going back on what i said,if you are really really desperate to try then i suggest you go to Carol Fahy ONLY as previously mentioned.She will not mess you about and is not money hungry,never pressures you into more appointments and if you or she feels you are not benefiting she will stop.She is the only straight forward honest person i have come across in this industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks, i appreciate your honesty :)

Advertisement