Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conversation Starters

• 27-09-2006 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm sure this is a very frequent topic here.

I'm a fairly quiet guy, keep to myself and a few good friends.
    Whenever I meet someone new I don't know what to say to them. I know what to say to my friends because I know where their interests lie, but for stranger I have no idea. I need help figuring out what to say to complete strangers.
    I know it's probably a case of practising, but I don't know where to begin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Be yourself. Don't use one-liners. Speak to common interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I usually find "Hi, how are we?" or "Any scandal?" seems to start things off well. Work from there. Of course, if they turn around and just say "Fine" or "Nothing" you may as well find someone else to talk to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

please love to talk about themselves, ask them general questions about them like where they are from, what they do and the old reliable, do you come here often!!! ok so the last one is a joke but you get the idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I usually find "Hi, how are we?" or "Any scandal?" seems to start things off well. Work from there. Of course, if they turn around and just say "Fine" or "Nothing" you may as well find someone else to talk to :)

ya, the modern version of how was your day and anything exciting happen breaks the ice....if they say "no,how about you?", best approach is to tell the truth and be yourself when answering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im like that myself but it doesn't bother me. I'm not one for small talk. Some people recognise and even, shock horror, appreciate this. Thats why you have close friends instead of "casual aquaintances". Wouldn't go the other way myself. Be careful what you wish for and all that... Just an alternative perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Just say hi, ask them how they are, whats thier name, where they are from, general questions and depending on how they respond the conversation will kick off or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Unsocial wrote:
    Ok, I'm sure this is a very frequent topic here.

I'm a fairly quiet guy, keep to myself and a few good friends.
    Whenever I meet someone new I don't know what to say to them. I know what to say to my friends because I know where their interests lie, but for stranger I have no idea. I need help figuring out what to say to complete strangers.
    I know it's probably a case of practising, but I don't know where to begin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yeah I am pretty much the same here. Although I have had no problem in any other countries, I think its because Irish women either accept you or harshly reject you, there isnt any in between, so its easier to not start up a conversation at all just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MW

Jumpy wrote:
    Yeah I am pretty much the same here. Although I have had no problem in any other countries, I think its because Irish women either accept you or harshly reject you, there isnt any in between, so its easier to not start up a conversation at all just in case.

That's slightly harsh on us Irish Girls Jumpy. I personally love meeting new people, there's no need to be nervous talking to anyone. If they don't accept you for who you are then they aren't worth talking too in the first place, if you think you made a t*t out of yourself, don't worry about it, just move on. Don't sweat the small stuff. People are living such different lives nowadays with work etc there's loads to talk about, honestly. We're not all bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Are you talking about just talking to strangers, making new friends or as some here seem to think are you talking about chatting people up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

I'm fine chatting to people in the uk and ireland but when it comes to chatting to people in differnt countrys i just dont know what to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

MW wrote:
    That's slightly harsh on us Irish Girls Jumpy. I personally love meeting new people, there's no need to be nervous talking to anyone. If they don't accept you for who you are then they aren't worth talking too in the first place, if you think you made a t*t out of yourself, don't worry about it, just move on. Don't sweat the small stuff. People are living such different lives nowadays with work etc there's loads to talk about, honestly. We're not all bad :)

Sorry, I should have mentioned I was referring to nightclubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Be yourself, especially in front of women, they have a sixth sense for bull**** and nervousness (ok, 7 senses?).

If you think too hard about what to say first, you will trip on your tongue, blush and look a bit foolish, just talk to someone the way you would talk to someone you've known for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

6th wrote:
    Are you talking about just talking to strangers, making new friends or as some here seem to think are you talking about chatting people up?

I'm talking about everyone. Anyone I don't know I have no idea what to say to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

just say hey you like life?I like life too!be yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Always start with questions.
    "What do you think of this band?"
    "Isn't this food good? How can I get a meal like this every day?"
    "Do these pants make me look fat?" :)
    "I'm surprised I don't know more people here. Who all do you know here?"
    "What's the background story on that one?" (Pick out a person in the crowd)
    "Have you seen my friend? He seems to have vanished."

It will prompt the person to respond much better than...
    "This band ROCKS!"
    "I could eat all of this food in one sitting!"
    "I don't know anybody here."
    "That tramp in the corner really needs to get a new hobby."
    "My friend disappeared on me."

Get it? Maybe a bit of practice on your friends would help.

Advertisement