Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord?

Options
  • 27-09-2006 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone got any info on the new type accord - good or bad?
    Looking at 03 or 04 probably gonna pay 17 to 20 k .
    Seems to get a good review on Top gear
    Any info appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Never had one of the new ones but had a 1994 Accord many years ago as a company car and never had any problems with it.

The new one is a nice motor and I would not mind having one except I have no need for a 2.0 litre and the diesel is too expensive. :(

2003/2004 models are starting to come down now in price. Try and go for the Sport or Executive model as these have the most creature comforts as standard.

I presume it is the 2.0 litre petrol model you are going for? It is a decent motor and uses VTEC technology and has a respectible 155bhp.

It is a typical Honda so reliability is not an issue but like most cars if it has not been looked after or maintained it could cause you trouble.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Best built car I have had the pleasure of driving (03 Type-S). Fit and finish is superb. On top of that there's the usual Honda stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭metafora

cheers for that,
    yeah its 2.0 petrol . Is the S type the sport? Apart from 1/2 leather trim what does the sport have above standard? I thought the inside of the standard model was a bit basic so i think i will go for the exec - If i can get it at the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

The models available in Ireland from 03-05ish and the engine size are (excluding the tourer)

2.0 SE (base model)
    SE SR (base model + sunroof)
    2.0 Sport (1/2 leather, cruise, fogs no sunroof)
    2.0 Executive (full leather, cruise, heated seats, fogs, sunroof)
    2.4 Type-S (full leather, sports suspension, body kit, fogs, 6 speed gear box, cruise, no sunroof)
    2.4 Executive (full leather, fogs, 6 speed gear box, sunroof, etc, etc)

2.2 CTDi Executive (Diesel, same spec as 2.0 executive)

Note in the UK the diesel comes in the SE, SR and sport specs. It's only offically brought in here in the exec trim.

If your going for the 2.0 litre get the sport or exec as mentioned. If going for the 2.4 try to get the Type-S! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

jayok wrote:
    2.4 Type-S (full leather, sports suspension, body kit, fogs, 6 speed gear box, cruise, no sunroof)

Jayo, you're only a young lad and your memory is gone already:p

The Type-S has half leather, as opposed to full. Also has carbon fibre type console/dash etc, which isn't on the executive.

• Advertisement

I am losing it - the original 2.4 Type-S (not the 2.0 litre 06 Type-S) had 1/2 black leather. I just remember that slippy feeling when taking that corner! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭metafora

cheers jayok. that clears it all up:)

The best place to get an Accord is to go over to the UK and buy one. They cost around the same as an Avensis, Passat or Mondeo over there when new so there are some real bargins in second hand ones. Even when you include the exchange rate and VRT it can work out cheaper than here.

As already mentioned the UK spec models are generally higher than Irish. Also if you buy one from a Honda dealer with an approved Honda used warranty afaik the warranty is honoured by Honda through out the EU. A quick phone call to Honda Ireland will confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

We've got a 05 2.0 sport and its been superb , excellent build quality and first service from main dealer only cost €170, my only criticism is that the engine doesn't have much torque low down.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Drove a couple of these in the last 2 weeks - 2006 Type S for a decent spin (50 + Miles) and was very pleased with it. Probably the best non-turbo charged petrol engine I've driven in a long while. Pretty Damn quick and very well specced for the money, but a bit on the thirsty side.

Other was a 2003 SE Model. Still well specced but the 15" Alloys are far too small and ruin the look of the car - it really needs the 17" Type S wheels. Same engine though so still plenty quick enough.

Prices seem to be plunging on them at the moment. There will be a lot of 2003 company cars coming back at the moment, many of them will have fairly low mileage as they are more of an executive's car than a reps. Should be able to find a bargain out there - as long as you aren't too worried about fuel consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭sk8board

R.O.R wrote:
    Drove a couple of these in the last 2 weeks - 2006 Type S for a decent spin (50 + Miles) and was very pleased with it. Probably the best non-turbo charged petrol engine I've driven in a long while. Pretty Damn quick and very well specced for the money, but a bit on the thirsty side.

Other was a 2003 SE Model. Still well specced but the 15" Alloys are far too small and ruin the look of the car - it really needs the 17" Type S wheels. Same engine though so still plenty quick enough.

Prices seem to be plunging on them at the moment. There will be a lot of 2003 company cars coming back at the moment, many of them will have fairly low mileage as they are more of an executive's car than a reps. Should be able to find a bargain out there - as long as you aren't too worried about fuel consumption.

the Type S is the one i'd go for for sure. Theres something about the ordinary model (think its called 'executive') that looks a bit boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I've got the older 1.8 VTEC and its very solid on the road and really nice around corners, it does suffer from road noise though, I imagine that was addressed in the new model.

We had a blown head gasket on ours and it cost about a grand to get fixed, so they can be expensive, saying that its like a different car now, I'd love to get the new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My ould fella has an '06 2.2 iCTDI Accord exec, and says its the best car he's ever driven. He had a BMW 318i before it, traded it in for the Honda. The diesel develops about 140bhp, and has a 6-speed gearbox. All leather interior with all the bells and whistles like air con, cruise control, cd changer and so on.

lovely car.

I think you'll find its actually 170bhp, hopefully in the next two years I'll have one of those on my driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I stand corrected, I thought Honda were sharing this engine with Toyota? in the Lexus IS220d the same engine has 170bhp.

I stand corrected, I thought Honda were sharing this engine with Toyota? in the Lexus IS220d the same engine has 170bhp.

... and it has 400NM of torque to back it up... nice!

Afraid Honda and Toyota don't share technology.

The 2.2 D4-D in the IS220 has 180bhp and is also available in the Corolla Verso in both 180bhp and detuned 150bhp form in the UK. The Avensis has the 150bhp version only.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I thought Honda were sharing this engine with Toyota?

Honda and Toyota are fierce competitors. They don't share any technology iirc. The Honda 2.2 diesel is the first ever diesel developed by the company

Honda plans to sell the first diesel engined car in Japan in 2009. Slow wake up :)

Advertisement