Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seats back into a commercial ?

Options
  • 27-09-2006 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Installing the seats back into a commercial van. Is that possible here in Ire ?
    The car is a 05 Discovery commercial.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its possible but illegal unless you pay VRT on the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would VAT also have to be paid?

I think insurance companies are funny about these things also. They may have certain safety requirements for it to be made into a passenger vehicle.

Might end up being more trouble than it is worth in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

bazz26 wrote:
    Might end up being more trouble than it is worth in the end.

I am afraid you are right, thanks for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

What about a jeep that has been owned for over 6 months; would it be possible and worthwhile driving it up the North, putting the seats back in, and exporting it to the UK? That way, you should be able to avoid the VRT/VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Eh..
    If you export it to the uk, well of course you won't be liable for Irish VAT/VRT, but it only suits if you are going to live in the UK. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your question.

• Advertisement

Sorry! Should have made that clearer. Yep, would be moving to the UK in that case. Wouldn't make sense to re-register the jeep as would lose too much money with the lower price of cars over there; if it could be converted to a passenger vehicle before moving over, it would be worth it. Otherwise drive it over there for 6 months (without registering it as a UK vehicle) and then bring it back to Ireland and sell it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dubstub wrote:
    Sorry! Should have made that clearer. Yep, would be moving to the UK in that case. Wouldn't make sense to re-register the jeep as would lose too much money with the lower price of cars over there; if it could be converted to a passenger vehicle before moving over, it would be worth it. Otherwise drive it over there for 6 months (without registering it as a UK vehicle) and then bring it back to Ireland and sell it here.

If you bring it back here and don't pay VRT then you cannot sell the vehicle for at least 12 months I think. Open to correction on this though.

The VRO seem to have all angles covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I read somewhere in the revenue website that when the standard Jeep or car is converted to commerical which is normally done at rosslare i think, the anchor points for back seat and seat belts must be cut out off the vehicle to stop what your suggesting. if these anchor points were welded back on or seats/belts were bolted to a different location afterwards, insurance wouldn't cover you because you've altered a major safety item in the car.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    I read somewhere in the revenue website that when the standard Jeep or car is converted to commerical which is normally done at rosslare i think, the anchor points for back seat and seat belts must be cut out off the vehicle to stop what your suggesting. if these anchor points were welded back on or seats/belts were bolted to a different location afterwards, insurance wouldn't cover you because you've altered a major safety item in the car.
    Hmmm. Maybe. I know that there are companies in the North that do this kind of thing. The point is kind of moot however, if you convert back and keep in Ireland then the Revenue will hit you for the VRT. If you convert and export to the UK, you may get away with it with regards documentation (Van vs. Passenger vehicle) but I was looking at some sites over lunch and the price of a second hand passenger jeep (for this particular model) are about the same as the price of a second hand commercial jeep in Ireland, for similar milage and spec... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not worth the hassle, just sell your commercial and buy a passenger model in the UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement