Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weapons Amnesty Site - Airgun Limit?

Options
  • 27-09-2006 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

And read that you dont need a license for an air rifle under one joule, i was just wondering how can you find uot what joule a rifle is thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

ANXIOUS wrote:
    And read that you dont need a license for an air rifle under one joule, i was just wondering how can you find uot what joule a rifle is thanks
    You'll need to know two things: the weight of the projectile, and its velocity at the muzzle.
    Here's a handy dandy calculator-
    http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/articles/fps_limits/fps_calc.htm

Basically, at under 1 Joule, we're talking about airsoft guns; and there's a dedicated forum right next door-
    Sports > Airsoft & Paintball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Have you any idea how i can find out the speed, i know it fires 5.5gram pellets. Thanks

ANXIOUS wrote:
    Have you any idea how i can find out the speed, i know it fires 5.5gram pellets. Thanks
    Well, ideally you'd measure it with a chronograph, but airgun manufacturers usually state the muzzle velocity of their guns in the literature.
    What make and model are you talking about?

Also, are you sure about the "5.5gram pellets" bit?
    That'd be about 85 grains, which is the weight of a middling size rifle bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

so to stay under 1 joule the round would travel at 62.5 feet per second.

You'd be better off throwing it i'd say

Vegeta wrote:
    so to stay under 1 joule the round would travel at 62.5 feet per second.

You'd be better off throwing it i'd say
    That's what I was thinking too :D

I suspect the OP meant 5.5gr (grains), which would be about 0.35g (grams).
    Proper lead airgun pellets seem to be around 7-8gr in .177, and 14-16gr in .22, so I'm guessing we're talking about an airsoft of some sort here.

0.35g would be at the heavy end of airsoft BBs, probably 8mm.
    I have no idea if any 8mm airsoft guns come in under the 1 Joule limit, that's a question for the Airsoft & Paintball forum.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replyingi didntget any information with it when i said the pellets were 5.5grams i actually meant they were 5.5mm which i dont understand either, Thanks very much for all the replys

ANXIOUS wrote:
    Thanks for replyingi didntget any information with it when i said the pellets were 5.5grams i actually meant they were 5.5mm which i dont understand either, Thanks very much for all the replys
    5.5mm is the diameter of the pellet, and therefore is also (nominally) the calibre of the gun.
    .22 pellets are conventionally referred to as '5.5mm', even though 0.22" = 5.588mm.
    See here- http://www.eley.co.uk/airgun.htm

Anyhow, it sounds like you're looking at a .22 airgun, and as far as I know, all conventional airguns generate plenty more muzzle energy than the 1 Joule limit.

Ok, thanks very much so i guess ill have to get a licence. Off to the gardai station with me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Can you just do that ??

Garda: So do you have the letter, including the serial number, from the Dealer where you are buying the firearm.

Mr. Soap: No I bought it years ago I've just been holding onto it illegaly at home, I almost got caught with it the other day so I said, I'd better licence it ... but I have the serial number written down here!

Garda: ???

Thats how it kind of went lol, i just have to join a gun club now and itll all be cool hopefully

• Advertisement
Advertisement