Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water softener - has anyone got one?

Options
  • 27-09-2006 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I live in a hard water area so had a water softener fitted. It uses salt and I've found it leaves sodium deposits on the car (one of the reasons I got a water softener was to avoid calcium deposits on the car). The company said this is unavoidable and the settings are correct. Also, the water feels slippery / greasy to touch. Are both of the above normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Both of these are pretty normal "side effects". If you use salt pellets (AXO 6/15 is the part number I think) rather than powdery type salt it should minimise the salt travelling through the system a bit. Calcium will coat pipes and make crap of your boiler, electric shower etc - salt won't (not so good for the car paint though).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Yorky, may I ask if your water softener is fitted so that all the water going into your house is filtered/softened or just the kitchen sink water? If it's the entire water supply... how much did it cost you to get installed and how much to run it? Thanks (and sorry for going off topic).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

If the softner leaves salty deposits on the car, can you taste salt in your drinking water?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

The softener is usually plumbed to the mains feed to the tank in the attic. The tap in the kitchen is usually a direct feed from before the softener so that you don't drink the softened water. Your outside tap is normally fed from the back of the kitchen sink off the cold tap. if you are using a hose off your outside tap, you may not be washing your car with softened water. It might be mains water. Is the softener under the sink? who plumbed it in?

Advertisement