Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel locks - advice/experience sought

Options
  • 27-09-2006 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,

Just bought a new second-hand card if you take my meaning. It's going to be outside alot and I've been thinking about a wheel lock.
    So I hit the Argos catalog and have a look. I spot one called "Disklok" at €130 - it looks pure tough (pg. 1056). There are other cheaper ones though - for the handbreak etc...

Just wondering if anyone has any has any advice experience of these things. Are thet worth it. Is Disklok worth it?
    Any comments/suggestions much appreciated.

Mhaire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mhaire_s wrote:
    Hi,

Just bought a new second-hand card if you take my meaning. It's going to be outside alot and I've been thinking about a wheel lock.
    So I hit the Argos catalog and have a look. I spot one called "Disklok" at €130 - it looks pure tough (pg. 1056). There are other cheaper ones though - for the handbreak etc...

Just wondering if anyone has any has any advice experience of these things. Are thet worth it. Is Disklok worth it?
    Any comments/suggestions much appreciated.

Mhaire
    Heavy chain and €50 padlock will deter any thief. All those other devices can be overcome in seconds. With a heavy chain, the thief will simply move on to another car. :)
    PS Ask any Garda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The only type device worth having are the "frying-pan" style ones, which is probably what you're talking about anyway. They prevent the steering wheel from being cut (and slipping off other types of deterrent, including a chain).

The gear-stick to handbrake ones are useless as the gearknob can be screwed off.

Most newer (ie last 10 years or so) cars have factory immobilisers which are almost impossible to overcome without the actual car key. If your's has one, keep the key safe and the car should be ok. And leave nothing of value in the car either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

these disc type locks also prevent airbag theft, which is becoming common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Heavy chain and €50 padlock will deter any thief. All those other devices can be overcome in seconds. With a heavy chain, the thief will simply move on to another car. :)
    PS Ask any Garda!

In relation to the overcome in seconds bit ive taking this info from the Agros.ie site in relation to teh €130 Diskloc the OP had mentioned.

# Voted strongest and best device by all leading motoring magazines.

# Auto Express winner 1996/1997/2001/2002/2003/2004.

# Revs magazine 'Best buy' 2001 attack test time 18 min 53 seconds.

# Conforms to Thatcham insurance approval ( category 3) and is Sold Secure approved.

# Hardened steel anti-pick anti-drill lock.

# Easy to use, extremely strong and durable.

# Unique feature - spins on the wheel when under attack making it impossible to gain any leverage to force the vehicle's own steering lock.

# No plastic components.

# Fits steering wheel diameters 35 to 39cm.

# Manufacturer's 3 year guarantee.

# Customer help line UK 01257 795100 / ROI 0044 1257 795100.

This actual model of diskloc is not winning awards etc is it can be removed in seconds.

The fanasty that a lock and chain is the be all and end all of secondary car security is a fallacy. All a theif has to do is cut the steering wheel to free the chain. No matter how good and strong the lock and chain are your steering wheel is very easy to cut through. All it takes is one incision then wheel is then bent to remove the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

those disc locks are a great visual deterrant. pain in the arse to store though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement