Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking advice

Options
  • 28-09-2006 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Hey i want to build a reasonably cheap system with the intention of overclocking

I have an ASUS P5N32 deluxe (not conroe compatible) but will work with Pentium D. I do have a Pentium 3.4 ghz (model # 650). These any good for the job. ( might sell price guides would be appreciated)

I'd like to get something Conroe compatible probably with a 975x chipset but not deffinatly. I have no real interest in SLI or Crossfire for now as i'm only running a 19" Monitor.

Only thing i know for sure i'm buying is a 37GB 10,000rpm WD Raptor
    think it's a good base for part of a fast system. and 2gb of ram but i hear u can over clock cheap ram to highend standards.

So basically what board should i buy to allow myself to overclock a conroe? And dont mind about it haveing Two Pci express slots or not.
    As for the CPU i here guys are over clocking the cheapest Conroe the E6300 to as fast as the Most expensive with the standard heatsink. But apparently week number and batch numbers are important so which numbers should i be lookin for.

And imediatley i would like to know what graphics card is better an Nvidia 7900 series or an Ati X 1900 series. Want to buy soon 250 to 300 euro to spend.

Things that are important to me are the ability to multitask, play the newest games at highest settings on a 19" monitor and Run CAD and 3D software. And most important is upgradeability i want a system that through add ons will be able to kick ass in six months.
    I'm not asking much am i.
    I Guess what i really want is bang for my buck!Maybe like 600 to 800 not including graphics card.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Asus p5w deluxe mobo, its socket 975, will allow you to add another gpu in future. This is the best clocking mobo out there (also the dearest), other choices would be either 1 of the other Asus boards, Abit aw9d or the gigabyte ds3 (great value).
    Gskill 6400 hz ram (800mhz), will clock to 1000-1100mhz, needed if your goin with an E6300 & need to hit high fsb's at 1:1 divider.
    Ati x1900series gpu, slightly better performance than Nvidia 7900 series & will allow you to go xfire in future with modern drivers (hack drivers for sli are modified older drivers)

Edit: heard great reports bout these: http://www.memory-configurator.com/products/manufacturers/TEAM/DDR2.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CNGrw6KA0YcCFRyGQgodGSOlHw

Advertisement