Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash staircase?

Options
  • 28-09-2006 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Has anybody:

- fitted one of these in their home? experiences?

- can someone give me a rough idea of the cost?

Cheers,

D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Cost will depend on stair details, winders, landings ect. So post more specific details.

You should not have any problems with a properly fitted staircase in Ash, or indeed any other timber , as there are no peculiarities (sp) specific to Ash.

So long as you are using kiln dried ash, you should be ok. I am revamping my own stairs at the moment, and I am also using ash.

Cost wise, some quotes for a standard white deal stairs, 3 winding steps, fitted and handrails , I've come across 2700 +vat.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

We are looking at either White or Red Oak but I got a joinery
    with a good reputation for stairs manufacture to quote for
    the same design in ash/white oak/red oak.

Ash came in less expensive than white or red oak (as
    one would expect).

Now bear in mind the design here which requires a lot of
    extra worksmanship and detail than a basic stairs.

Design is cut string stairs (so you see the detail of the treads &
    risers side on), bracket feature, 4 steps to a half landing and
    remainder of steps at a 90 degree angle to the first set of
    steps, a scroll at the bottom with multiple spindles winding
    around a curtail step, 46mm spindles (if I recall correctly).

Price quoted was approx 4.7k or 5.7k incl VAT. This is
    a price of stairs delivered. Builder will fit.
    For white oak add approx 1k, and red oak another 350Euro.

I understand the scroll feature adds anywhere between 250 and 330
    Euro on to the price. I would say the price would be a good
    deal less expensive if we opted for the closed string version.

I found this link useful when trying to understand the design
    of a staircase

http://www.stairplan.com/terminology.htm

(note: that's a UK site , I think.. The joinery I spoked to is
    in the Northwest Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

Have recently fitted an Ash staircase into our house. Looks great, everyone who sees it is usually impressed. Cost €3,200 for supply and fit. Their is a a landing at the top with a banister about 5 m long and a semi-circular section - so was not straightforward. Was made by a local guy in West Cork.

sakigrant wrote:
    Have recently fitted an Ash staircase into our house. Looks great, everyone who sees it is usually impressed. Cost €3,200 for supply and fit. Their is a a landing at the top with a banister about 5 m long and a semi-circular section - so was not straightforward. Was made by a local guy in West Cork.

That is one amazing price for a solid ash stairs.

Considering there is about 12 cubic ft in the staircase alone, not including the handrails, balustrades, newels. That would acount for about 600-700E for the staircase materials.

Add labour , fitting, balustrades, newels , under sheeting ect, I am surprised he made it at that price.
    I'd be very interested in a few pics. Is it all completely solid material.

This guy would be very busy if he advertises. I personally would not make it for that amount, and I dont know anyone who would.
    Well done.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Kadman -

How do the prices I got quote sound ?
    5.7k Ash, 6.8k White Oak, 7.1k Red Oak
    (supplied , delivered, not fitted - price includes 21% vat)

I don't have the dimension but there is just a single side handrail
    but it's a fancy design (i.e cut string, scroll at the bottom,
    3/4 landing, bullnose/curtail step to accomodate scroll..
    I can't recall how many newel posts and half newel posts.
    I think there are three edges of balustrading on the first
    floor landing).

I've an allowance of 3k from my builder for stairs.

Leaning towards red oak actually .. floors will be white oak
    , doors white oak also as will kitchen. I'd prefer to set off
    the stairs from all the white oak. We won't be carpeting
    stairs hence the reason for a hardwood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

I have ordered a solid ash stairs from a local guy in Tipperary supply and fit is €3,700 including VAT. So far I am very happy with him ie the design, coming out and measuring up and turning up for meetings on time. If anyone wants his name & number, send me a pm

iplogger1 wrote:
    Kadman -

How do the prices I got quote sound ?
    5.7k Ash, 6.8k White Oak, 7.1k Red Oak
    (supplied , delivered, not fitted - price includes 21% vat)

I don't have the dimension but there is just a single side handrail
    but it's a fancy design (i.e cut string, scroll at the bottom,
    3/4 landing, bullnose/curtail step to accomodate scroll..
    I can't recall how many newel posts and half newel posts.
    I think there are three edges of balustrading on the first
    floor landing).

I've an allowance of 3k from my builder for stairs.

Leaning towards red oak actually .. floors will be white oak
    , doors white oak also as will kitchen. I'd prefer to set off
    the stairs from all the white oak. We won't be carpeting
    stairs hence the reason for a hardwood.

Hi Iplogger,

Costs you are quoting sound about average for the type of spec you want, but I,m surprised that the red oak is more expensive than the white oak. As in the raw material costs , white oak is more expensive.

Unless very specific details related to cut string construction , application of any scroll work, insertion of balustrades ect , are outlined its not always possible to say if one stair method is the same as another you are comparing against.

As in all things , there are various methods of achieving the same aesthetic outcomes, but not always using the best accepted techniques.

At present I am revamping a pine stairs , by overlaying it with a machined ash construction. I have adopted some new techniques of stair construction, that virtually gives a flat pack method of renewing an existing stairs, without the hassle of ripping oout the existing one, and all the headaches associated to it. My method has entailed some innovative machining methods , which give me a finished stairs that is impossible to tell from an installed complete staircase.

I think its a good idea to use a different contrasting timber for your stairs , if you intend to use it as a feature, and I think your choices of timbers are good ones.

Your allowance from your builder for 3000e for a stairs would certainly fit in with the standard view, that a white deal stairs is probably priced in or around that figure.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

kadman wrote:
    That is one amazing price for a solid ash stairs.

I'd be very interested in a few pics. Is it all completely solid material.

This guy would be very busy if he advertises. I personally would not make it for that amount, and I dont know anyone who would.
    Well done.

kadman

It is completely solid ash. I'll try and post some pictures but I'm working away from home at the moment, the guy is extremely busy - took me almost 5 months to get him - he doesn't need to advertise. We got a variety of quotes for the Ash stairs from other companies - up to 5.5K. Red deal was going to be 1.5K and Oak was going to be near enough 6K. We're very happy with the end result. In addition the other companies were not happy with doing the relatively complicated semi-circular section on the landing.

Advertisement