Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Atmospheric Blow Off Valve Advice

Options
  • 28-09-2006 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Not to shure if this thread is in the right place but i need a little advice.
    Ive just bought a 00 Saab 93, Its a 2.00 Turbo.
    The only problem is that Saab used a Low Pressure Turbo system for that year of car.

My question is will there be enough pressure on the turbo to make a ABOV feasable?

I know there are some issues with the ECU on the car and BOV's
    Changing the air ratio and the engine running rich etc but ive found a valve online that overcomes this without having to feedback into the engine.

I dont need any "what did you buy that car for?" or "Hah only 150 Bhp my golf would have you" nonsence please.

I just wanna see the looks on peoples faces when a Saab "Pssssttttttt" 's its way past them
    :)

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Meh..
    I'm gonna take you up on all of your points.
    People won't be suprised to see a saab go past them, they aren't slow cars. They might be somewhat surprised to hear it make a psshhttt noise after it goes past ok. My saab 900 turbo ( much older than yours ) came with a BOV, I got really annoyed with the sound, as it was a full pressure turbo ( 185hp ), and it was really loud. I was also worried about the richening of the mixture when the valve activated, so I took it off.

I'm pretty sure that saab made full pressure cars that year as well, you could look into uprating your turbo and adding an intercooler if you want more performance.
    If you just want the sound.. I think you'll get some noise from a BOV, but not a great amount. Its probably only running 5-7 psi of boost.
    You need to check this valve out very carefully, to make sure it does what it says. If your engine runs too rich, it will eventually coat its internals with carbon, also it can wash the oil from the bores, and make it wear out faster.
    Heres a useful forum:
    http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Thanks Gerry,
    I was waiting for some profesional advice from a friend on what intercooler to buy, Any suggestions?

Also thanks for the link,
    Stumbeled accross the site for parts ebfore but i must have missed the forum section..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I was looking for threads on the 9-3 lpt versus 9-3 fpt. I saw one thread suggesting that the fpt has a better turbo as well, but I'm sure you could increase the boost somewhat on your existing turbo anyway. You may need to swap ecu's, as I don't think you can fiddle with the boost separately.

Intercooler - if you found a crashed 9-3 maybe just take the ic and pipes from it? Otherwise go for aftermarket, they are not bad value. There are aftermarket ic's made specifically for that car afaik. See what the lads off that forum are using anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I think i may have a winner on the IC
    http://www.mpperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_22&products_id=34&osCsid=71a0d615506be5cf0169385c070df0f0

Ecu upgrade- Will be done but its a pretty hefty price tag for a single upgrade and i cant afford it yet. I think ill spend my cash preping the various parts of the car for the ECU and then next time a rain check arrives go straight to the stage 3

Cheers again gerry.
    Ive now gotta new home for all my Sab related questions and rambelings
    :D

Advertisement