Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIW Courses - Anyone done them ?

Options
  • 28-09-2006 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I'm starting these 3 courses CIW Foundations, CIW Site Designer and CIW E-Commerce Designer, If i pass all 3 I get a CIW Wabmaster award,

I'm just wondering if anyone here has done theses courses/exams and how have they found them

The reason i'm doing them is to be able to get a better Job. Has anyone that has done this been able to get a better Job ? Do design/development companies rate this award ?

thanks for your time

Regards
    David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

What was the total cost for the above incl exam fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

The cost including exams is €3585 but FAS pay €1917 or it. and my Job is paying a good bit as well. So I dont have to pay to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

NeVeR wrote:
    The cost including exams is €3585 but FAS pay €1917 or it. and my Job is paying a good bit as well. So I dont have to pay to much.

cool that your job is paying for it, but that price is mental.

any links to course content?

Yea it is mad... i wouldnt pay it. I'm lucky FAS are paying so much as well.

http://www.dorset-college.ie/ go here and under part-time courses you will see CIW Web design.

jaysus! looks like a fairly extensive course. looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I would look at the course but the pages crap out in Firefox

So I started IE :)

I am just wondering - what is so different from the course compared to the real-life, and practical information already available on the web?

I havent dont the course yet. But you get a cert with it so that helps with a Job. Also i feel you learn more in a classroom then on your own, I there is ton's of info on the net, and some really good video tut's from lynda.com and vtc.com . i downloaded a few of them and they help alot. But I personaly would rather a classroom and teacher.

I agree - not everyone prefers reading tutorials out of books or on the net. I do like learning from online tutorials and books, but I prefer to take short courses here and there in a classroom environment. maybe i'm lazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭calliopeia

I was planning on taking that course (in dorset) to, then I found out I could do it through fas-online. But there were some bad reviews for the CIW course that I came across and it put me off! One of the posts was from a teacher, who said the was alot of useless information in it! I'm still undecided? This is a post about CIW course, kbannon has lectured at them.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290620&referrerid=&highlight=CIW

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and I stand by my point.
    I taught a foundation course once - I decided not to do any more.
    There were 3 sections but one was probably something the students should know beforehand (what is email!) and another was about networking which was not what the majority wanted to know.
    The time involved would have been better off concentrated on more graphical stuff, JavaScript, hosting, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement