Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help!

Options
  • 28-09-2006 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

i just upgraded my pc from 1 to 3 gigs of ram.

have i wasted my time getting more than 2?

i spent a while reading about the /3GB switch and it seems that it will allow a very limited number of programs access more than about 1.7 gigs. what is the other gig doing??

now that im using 4 slots instead of 2 do i have double the bandwidth from memory to the processors?

also im using XP media center edition, not professional. is the 3GB switch supported?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

i just upgraded my pc from 1 to 3 gigs of ram.

have i wasted my time getting more than 2?

i spent a while reading about the /3GB switch and it seems that it will allow a very limited number of programs access more than about 1.7 gigs. what is the other gig doing??

now that im using 4 slots instead of 2 do i have double the bandwidth from memory to the processors?

also im using XP media center edition, not professional. is the 3GB switch supported?

Thanks...

Yes

You can run more than one program, you are aware of that right?

No

Yes

Tweaking and modding........?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭blue chuzzle

wonderfully helpful krazy.

happily i am aware that i can run more than one program.

my question is actually dealing with the fact that windows allocates 2gig for applications and 2 gig for the kernel. so it dosnt really matter how many programs im running they can only share up to 2 gig, unless i use the 3gb switch.

i dont believe the 3gb switch works with WME and also im not looking to have more than one program open that uses a significant amount of memory.

i dont believe that 2 1 gig modules is as fast as 4 512 modules. could someone tell me why im wrong or right? - preferably not krazy as i wont actually learn anything from him

i would like to "tweak" my pc to work the way i would like after i "modified" it by adding some new memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I would say that yes, you've wasted you're time unless you like to work on huge photoshop files or something.

It's not any faster because your memory is still only working in dual channel mode with the 4 sticks, it hasn't gone into quad channel or something like that.
    It's probably marginally slower because the memory controller has to talk to 4 sticks instead of 2, putting it under more strain and possibly causing it to use looser timings.

If you're on an Athlon 64 based machine then 4 sticks is definitely worse than 2. If you're on an intel or a newer Athlon, I don't know but I still think that 2 would be faster/more stable.

IMO, this belongs in the windows forum, cos it's an OS question.

wonderfully helpful krazy.

happily i am aware that i can run more than one program.

my question is actually dealing with the fact that windows allocates 2gig for applications and 2 gig for the kernel. so it dosnt really matter how many programs im running they can only share up to 2 gig, unless i use the 3gb switch.

Im going to have to say you have lost me here, 2 gigs for a windows kernal? Windows can access 3.3 gigs and use a registry hack to provide more access. This is a limitation of a 32bit operating system.
    i dont believe the 3gb switch works with WME and also im not looking to have more than one program open that uses a significant amount of memory.

Then why buy 3 gigs of ram?Am I missing something here. It seems pretty simple. You say you dont expect much ram usage but you bought loads of ram.
    i dont believe that 2 1 gig modules is as fast as 4 512 modules. could someone tell me why im wrong or right? - preferably not krazy as i wont actually learn anything from him

i would like to "tweak" my pc to work the way i would like after i "modified" it by adding some new memory.

2*1 gigs is faster. What you beleive is based on stupidity.

I like to tweak my pc by overclocking it ot high hell then I like the way it looks after I modified my case to a custom water-cooling solution. What you siad I do 9 hours every day for my job. I dont want to come into this forum and read this crap. Thats what the computer/tech forum or the build/upgrade forum is for.

it is many photoshop files and video stuff im interested in...

its a pentium d 820.

yea, that makes sense on the memory front.

thanks, ill ask in the windows forum

• Advertisement

krazy_8s wrote:
    2*1 gigs is faster. What you beleive is based on stupidity.
    LOL, helpfull as ever krazy. luckly someone else answered and now, as a result i know more about what im dealing with. what you said in no way helps me and you come across so incredibly badly. im here asking questions about things i dont understand and your mocking me for not understanding them? do you believe this makes me stupid?

obviously i was using the words tweak and modify in a different way to you. i didnt get any answers on the other forum so i thought i would ask here.

if you hate your job so much, get a different one.

you seem to have anger issues, find a different way to deal with it...

when you ask questions like that what do you expect? I dont have to be particulary nice in a forum where the questions are in-apropriate.

My job is great and I enjoy it. My anger issues get dealt with when I see posts like yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

after i "modified" it by adding some new memory.

I wouldn't call adding more ram a modification, any fool can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

wow he posted in the wrong thread, cut the guy a lil slack :rolleyes:

PogMoThoin wrote:
    I wouldn't call adding more ram a modification, any fool can do it.

yea, i only did it because no one in the other one could answer.

i got my pedantic hat out and posted here!

• Advertisement

Well he answered 2 and you still copy and pasted in here.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054995907

Advertisement