Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with Linksys Wireless-G NIC - getting BSOD

• 28-09-2006 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

The CD comes with a sticker requesting that the software be installed first, prior to inserting the wireless NIC. But that won't even install. Half way through copying/installing the files from the CD to the computer it stops, and the blue screen of death comes up before restarting the PC. Happens all the time.

Yet, in my Programmes list, it is among the listed ones as if it is installed. So, I insert the NIC, turn on, and almost immediately, after detecting it, it asks for the CD. Same thing happens again, and it restarts the PC.

Windows Suggested Solution:
    After sending the error report upon the restart, Windows says that the problem is a video adapter driver, and suggests 2 options to resolve the issue, both of which have not worked:
    1) Update the latest driver for the video adapter (Inno 3D 256 nVidia 5500 card -> newer update from net installed.
    2) Decrease the video acceleration (did this via the Desktop/Right Click -> Properties -> Setting tab -> Advanced button -> (new pop up) Adapter tab -> slide the Video Acceleration all the way down to minimum.

I even went into the BIOS and changed the AGP Aperture to 128MB as well as back to 256 - no effect.

I'm going bald pulling my hair out!

System:
    Abit IC-7G mobo
    P4 2.8GHZ
    2GB DDR RAM
    Inn0 3D 256 nVidia 5500 AGP
    Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter (brand spankin' new)

Do I need to list anything else?

Thanks in advance,

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

With respect to the failed software install, did you check the Lynksys website for a newer version of the driver software?

Can you uninstall the failed install cleanly (i.e. check the registry for references to LinkSys?). Check for LinkSys driver files (Dlls etc.)

If you cannot install the necessary driver software, then it's more than likely down to your OS. As the song goes 'wipe it down and start again' or something like that.

Have you considered exchanging the PCI card for a USB wireless nic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hi Krusty,
    I didn't have the USB option available at the time (no stock). I actually had to go into Safe Mode -> System Restore to get the problem to stop, only now, my AVG Anti Virus won't start up!

I am downloading the latest driver for it from the Linksys website. I'll see how that goes.

Seanie.

Advertisement