Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo Noise from passenger side

Options
  • 28-09-2006 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I have a '05 Mondeo. For the last few months I have noticed an annoying noise coming from the passenger side of the car, I think it's from the door. On take off I get this kind of grinding knocking noise, similar to walking on a noisy floorboard, it comes back if travelling over uneven surface/speed bumps. I went to a dealer yesterday and of course the noise would not reproduce! I can only think that as the passenger door was opened and then closed, it was not loose, but after driving a few miles it returned with gusto, after I dropped the mechanic back to base! The guys in the garage think I'm mad, why can't they approach problems with an open mind? I have it booked in next week so as they can do a more thorough check. I am going to bring the mechanic for a longer spin than yesterday so as the noise will reproduce. Anyone else experience anything similar as there is no guarantee that if they hear the noise they will be able to locate and fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

How many miles on the clock? My Dad's mondeo had a similar issue, turned out to be the tie rod ends needed replacing. But his is an '00 so I'd be surprised if your's are gone so quick (being '05 n all)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had a previous model Mondeo where the rear tie rods started making that creaking noise after less than a year, so it's not necessarily an age thing I think. And I've got the same problem beginning to appear on my '04 Focus C-Max. It only happens at low speeds, beteween 20 and 30mph approximately, and only then on certain road surfaces, so quite difficult to demonstrate. On my Mondeo, I had to resort to driving round the garage's car park with the boot lid open and a mechanic inside the boot, before they'd believe me! Seems to be a common problem with Fords for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I have amassed 14,200 Kilometres (bought June '05)! This makes it all the more annoying. I saw it up on the ramp yesterday and underneath, it's spotless. My theories were, loose door/locking mechanism, suspension issue, lecky window loose and now tie rod ends!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Alun wrote:
    Seems to be a common problem with Fords for some reason.
    Seems to be alright....not the most encouraging sound either...I was scared driving it that the whole suspension was just going to drop out! But it won't don't worry! :)
    A loose or worn tie rod will cause a feathered wear pattern on tires, and is probably the leading cause of rapid tire wear. Worn tie rod ends can be detected by raising the suspension and rocking the front wheel back and forth. If there is any free play, it probably means the tie rod ends are bad. Toe alignment must be reset once the new tie rods ends have been installed.

Thanks for the replies folks, at least I can make a knowledgeable suggestion when I'm in on Tuesday. Only worry is that the noise appears to be coming from the pillar on the passengers side, although noises can be deceptive like leaks! The other concern is, if it is a known fault, wouldn't you think a mechanic worth his salt in a Ford garage would remember these troublesome niggles for future reference? But the first line of defence seems to be, this guy's an idiot and he's wasting his own time reporting a non existent noise, never mind our time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

i had a '00 mondeo and the tie rod ends went in it, i changed them and a few weeks later one of them failed again.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

digweed wrote:
    i had a '00 mondeo and the tie rod ends went in it, i changed them and a few weeks later one of them failed again.

D.
    I replaced my tie rods after 100'000 miles,on a '98 mondeo,its the luck of the draw;)
    (the old ones were still ok,just changed them to be on the safe side)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Do front suspension bushes give trouble in these cars? Or tops of the strut mounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

JHMEG wrote:
    Do front suspension bushes give trouble in these cars? Or tops of the strut mounts?
    Yeah the front Anti roll bar bushes can give trouble,there will be a knocking sound even over the slightest of bumps.they are very cheap to buy(Ford ones) but a PITA to replace TBH;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have a '05 Mondeo. For the last few months I have noticed an annoying noise coming from the passenger side of the car
    Wife? New girlfriend?

sorry, couldn't resist

• Advertisement

Ha Ha! If only you knew!! :D

Advertisement