Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance with Thread

Options
  • 28-09-2006 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can be of any help. I have a Remy VSSF II in a 223.

Purchased from Athlone, the firearms dealer got the barrel threaded for me. Not sure who he got to do this but i was at my gun club last week and was informed that my insurance with Countryside alliance would be compromised because there wasn't a proof stamp for the thread.

To resolve this issue i might have to send the rifle to Birmingham, or perhaps just the barrel.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would upload some pics but it doesnt seem to like jpg files for some reason.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Cipher wrote:
    Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can be of any help. I have a Remy VSSF II in a 223.

Purchased from Athlone, the firearms dealer got the barrel threaded for me. Not sure who he got to do this but i was at my gun club last week and was informed that my insurance with Countryside alliance would be compromised because there wasn't a proof stamp for the thread.

To resolve this issue i might have to send the rifle to Birmingham, or perhaps just the barrel.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would upload some pics but it doesnt seem to like jpg files for some reason.
    I know that feeling:( the same thing happened to me last feb still trying to get it resolved. the problem apparenly lies with the fact that if an accident happens on the range the range insurance may be voided by the fact that the firearm has been altered and is not in proof, so if the incidcent is investigated by gardai firearm would be checked by ballistic dept in dublin no proof on thread (as in unathorisation alteration) and the sh88t hits the fan in theory.both your insurance and clubs insurance may be voided
    this problem with aftermarket threaded firearms is a problem on midlands range. most other clubs/insurance appear to have no issue with it. then there is also the problem as to whether you have authorisation from local super to use a moderator.
    it's a huge pain in the arse. i found all this out the hard way
    because there is no proof house in ireland and as far as i know no irish proofing standards
    my solution was to replace both rifles with new factory threaded rifles

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

Hey dfaf, cheers for the reply. Was hoping for a better outcome than having to replace the rifle. Took 25 weeks to license the thing.

Midlands is the club alright.

You see being authorised to use a moderator doesnt really come into play because the range are only interested in who threaded the rifle.

Firearms dealer in Athlone said that he would issue a letter about the proof but as far as i am aware Remington don't distribute pre-threaded rifles, and i seriously doubt that it was shipped to the UK to have it done if it only cost me €120

Cipher wrote:
    Hey dfaf, cheers for the reply. Was hoping for a better outcome than having to replace the rifle. Took 25 weeks to license the thing.

Midlands is the club alright.

You see being authorised to use a moderator doesnt really come into play because the range are only interested in who threaded the rifle.

Firearms dealer in Athlone said that he would issue a letter about the proof but as far as i am aware Remington don't distribute pre-threaded rifles, and i seriously doubt that it was shipped to the UK to have it done if it only cost me €120

dealer is talking Sh8t,I got THE LETTER, john paul took 1 look at the barrel and told there was no proof mark, and that any legit facility in england would have got it proofed to cover ther own arses. so unless he(dealer) built a proof shop in his back garden since the letter is not worth the paper its written on. i checked with birmingham last feb it could take up 3 months to get proofed due to back log at the time and cost around 300 euros inc shipping and insur.
    there's no prob having a barrel with a factory thread on it(legaly) its what you put on the end of it that can be a legal issue, like me i wanted to put a mod on it (not sparks :) )
    with the new legislation i think it illegal to modify a firearm (threading???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

cipher sorry to hear bout your problem, how u getting on with the vssf ii? reason i ask is ive bought one in march still waitin for licence!! whats the accuracy like?

hey rem, the rifle is a real piece of work. First impression are of it's weight. Takes a while getting used too.

I only got mine last week. Put 40 (50gr) Rem UMC through it last week and it seems to like them a lot at the moment.

At the moment, i've only gone out to 100 yds but accuracy doesn't seem to be a problem with this.

26" barrel on mine so just make sure to get a 1 piece rod for it.

I have a few pics of mine. I'll try and post them up in a while.

dfaf: i am due the letter of "proof" this week but from the sounds of it it wont be worth the paper it's written on. €300 i suppose aint too bad but a 3 month waiting list doesnt sound too good.

Was it much hassle for you to change. Did you stay in the same calibre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

AFAIK, unlike the UK, there is no legal requirement for proof in Ireland, this is just an insurance thing, but since the club needs insurance, they have to follow the rules set by their insurer.

Practically speaking, the need for re-proofing a threaded rifle barrel is non-existent, but it's written into the Proof Acts int he UK that any alteration to a barrel means getting it re-proofed.

So technically there are no legal issues around using a rifle with a threaded barrel. Accept for usage within a club.

dfaf: i am due the letter of "proof" this week but from the sounds of it it wont be worth the paper it's written on. €300 i suppose aint too bad but a 3 month waiting list doesnt sound too good.

Was it much hassle for you to change. Did you stay in the same calibre?[/QUOTE]

i had 2 rifles 300x2, i dont know what the wait is now, but when i looked into the whole thing it was to much hassle,
    as to changing the rifles no hassle at all same calibers .223 and 6.5x55,
    bought them. garda stamped them same day.
    what was the threading job like? after the threading 1of my rifles moved point of impact 9" left at 100yds.
    the drop changed as well but thats expected.
    have a look at the crown and see if theres any damage.
    as i siad before there no legal issue with a factory threaded rifle
    there other kind is open to interpetation.
    you need a letter of authorisation to legaly posses a moderator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Nice rifle.
    As for the problem you have.We are in Ireland and UK law doesn't apply here regarding firearms.There is no requirements to reprove a firearm here,and no facility to do it with anymore.
    Nor is it illegal to have a threaded barrel here either.Personally,I would see about getting it proved in Belguim or Germany,cheaper and quicker as well.
    I would check with CI about your insurance in the end it is what the club is going on about.If CI has no problem with it,get them to give you that in writing,and then you are coverd. ASFIK it is Midlands policy to require this just because there were too many home plumbed attachments and silencers showing up.
    If the dealer screwed up the threading job the first shot will tell.It will blow the can right off the gun!His fault then,if the gun shoots consistently then the job has been done correctly.Cant see then what anyone would have a problem with then.

thanks for the pics cipher lovely rifle. thats the moderator i thinkin of gettin for mine dose it change handlin much? quite heavy alright will have some fun walkin around with battery pack, light an da rifle it will knock weight off me! local guard told me today will have licence in ten days at long last!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

17REM wrote:
    thanks for the pics cipher lovely rifle. thats the moderator i thinkin of gettin for mine dose it change handlin much? quite heavy alright will have some fun walkin around with battery pack, light an da rifle it will knock weight off me! local guard told me today will have licence in ten days at long last!

congrats man

dfaf: 9" at 100 yds, wouldn't be happy with that at all.

was at the range last week and put 40 rounds through with the moderator and after zero got some pretty nice groups.

A friend of mine there has the vssf ii without a moderator and there is a massive difference with both db levels and with recoil.

As for the authorisation: i'll probably leave it at home when i go to the range. I'll probably apply give the FO a call next week to get authorisation but what strikes me is with the ease of purchase moderators are.

That moderator (can't remember the name off-hand AU 85 i think) costs around €400 but got a deal on it for €300.

17REM: The whole license issue really gets annoying after a while.

First of all when i originally went in to sign the forms i asked the guard on duty who wasn't the FO if i needed to sign the form anywhere. He said no that it was fine at that.

4 weeks later i rang to check on the status of the license and was informed that it had not been sent to the Super because the form hadn't been signed. Nobody taught to ring and let me know.

20 weeks later the license finally arrived but the date of birth was completly incorrect and 10 years out. I think the garda on duty put his own down.

The license had to be resent back to the Super to be changed.

4 weeks later the license finally came back but the DOB was still the same. At that stage the FO just told me to bring it with me.

Just one other question: from what i know Country Alliance covered the personal insurance of members for the midlands club. Does anyone know who covers the club itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Cipher wrote:
    That moderator (can't remember the name off-hand AU 85 i think) costs around €400 but got a deal on it for €300.

The AU-S5 moderator is only €300 in most gun shops!

not the best of deals after all so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but you may find it interesting:
    NARGC new Dog, Gun and Scope insurance Link to PDF

thanks vegeta! cipher, ring to tell u somethin wrong!! id die of shock! not long now anyway hopefully things will go smother anymore with the new rules:rolleyes: did u shoot in the barrel? like clean after every shot for 20 shots? have timmeny trigger to go in mine and a nightforce to go on top so should be a beauty!!

Advertisement