Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do if we don't get into the astro?

Options
  • 28-09-2006 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

This has been talked about it other threads and I think it really deserves a thread of its own so we can come to some kind of conclusion as to what we're going to do if we don't get on the Astro league.

Here was my suggestion.. a lot of effort required but could be a great long term solution:
    My god, I was going to suggest earlier that we could get our own league going but it was a bit hopeless since we'd have to get some teams together, but I forgot there's 12 teams ready and waiting for the astro league. Not sure what data protection acts would be in place, but I wonder would it be possible to get in contact with the other teams. 12/13 teams would be more than enough for a nice little league amongst ourselves. We don't need astro either, we could play in the 12 acres pitches in the Phoenix on a Sunday or something. I'm sure there's a few other grass pitches with floodlights we could get midweek if necessary too. For training etc too. With 12 or 13 €1,800 (which is what everyone would have) that's about 20K to get something going Get a little website made up too and we'd be well upon our way! Will take a bit of effort but could be well worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

gettting our own league together would be great, but I'd be surprised if we can manage it - I can't see astro.ie giving us the details of the other teams on the waiting list.

For a start I'd say we should find a decent, fairly central proper 11-a-side size astro pitch that we can block book for fairly late on Sunday afternoons (maybe UCD?). Then we could just worry about finding opposition each week - if we can get another team to play, then great, if not and we have 18 of us, if we can get 3 mates along we'd make do with that. You'd want someone reffing each game though (even one of us with a whistle would do).

There's 11 teams ahead of us on the waiting list for astro.ie so I'm not holding my breath but it'd be class if we get in.

Whats the story with the jerseys?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well we have a qualified ref on the team, my mate Heffo, but yeah, Block booking an 11 a side astro or proper grass pitch with the €1,800 would be a good alternative if we need it. We actually have more than €1,800 actually, 22 paid plus another 4 or so to go. Somewhere central like UCD would be good alright. easy enough for everyone to get to I assume? Would be good if we could get a different team each week to play against but yeah, playing amongst ourselves would be fine too:)

Don't think we'd have much use for the jerseys though:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

For a start I'd say we should find a decent, fairly central proper 11-a-side size astro pitch that we can block book for fairly late on Sunday afternoons (maybe UCD?). Then we could just worry about finding opposition each week - if we can get another team to play, then great, if not and we have 18 of us, if we can get 3 mates along we'd make do with that. You'd want someone reffing each game though (even one of us with a whistle would do).

Thats what I think we should do, if we cant get into the Astro league.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Unfortunately we're stuck in limbo at the moment waiting on a phone call or e-mail from astro.ie that may never come.

Personally I think our best bet is to keep meeting up regularly and playing as many friendlies as possible. A regular 11-a-side astro slot is the way to go for a Sunday.

Worst case scenario is that we are fully prepared for the next season.

Advertisement